Syrian jet shot down near Turkish border

Discussion in 'West Asia & Africa' started by SajeevJino, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Long walk Elite Member

Syrian jet shot down near Turkish border

A Syrian plane was shot down on Sunday in the northern border region with Turkey where rebels have been battling President Bashar Assad's forces, activists and regional media said. It was not immediately clear who was responsible.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights quoted local residents as saying the plane was brought down by shooting from the Turkish side of the border. Al Manar, the television station of Lebanon's Hezbollah group, said two rockets were fired from Turkish territory.

Report: Syrian jet shot down near Turkish border - Israel News, Ynetnews

3. SajeevJino

Turkish military shoots down Syrian warplane
    '

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has confirmed that the country's air force shot down a Syrian aircraft for violating Turkish airspace, an action that Syria denounced as "unprecedented and unjustifiable".

The incident happened on Sunday, with the plane crashing near the Syrian town of Kasab on the Turkish border after it was targeted by F16s.

During an election rally in the northwest of Turkey, Erdogan said: "A Syrian plane violated our airspace. Our F-16s took off and hit this plane. Why? Because if you violate my airspace, our slap after this will be hard.

"I congratulate the chief of general staff, the armed forces and those honourable pilots... I congratulate our air forces," he told supporters.

The Syrian state news agency SANA reported the foreign ministry as protesting against Turkish "interference" in the province of Latakia, which has witnessed heavy fighting in recent days.

In a statement the foreign ministry said Turkey's "flagrant aggression against Syrian sovereignty in the Kasab border region over the past two days proves its implication in the events in Syria".

The province includes President Bashar al-Assad's family village.

According to AFP news agency, the anti-Assad monitoring group, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said the plane had been striking areas in Latakia in pursuit of rebels.

Turkish military shoots down Syrian warplane - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

4. angeldude13

angeldude13 Lestat De Lioncourt Senior Member

Erdogan is the most coward of them all.
    He did nothing when Israel attacked Turkish ship and slaughtered few Turkish citizen because he knew turkey doesn't stand a chance against Israel but he ordered his armed forces to shot down a Syrian palne because he knew there won't be no retaliation.
    Or this can be the revenge for those Turkish plane shot down by Syria.

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  5. SajeevJino

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  6. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

There's no report yet from mainstream media. I do not know that Turner outfit. But looking at the website to me it looks guerilla. But if this is true then expect this story to come out in all major media companies since if true then this is a major escalation to the Syrian conflict.

Here I found something closer with Businessweek. This story refers only to a threat to go into Syria from Turkey:

Interestingly, the threat mentioned by Erdogan is from Islamic militants from Iraq fighting against Assad inside Syria.

But if Erdongan do push inside Syria, I'm definitely sure he'll have Putin's example to justify his excursion.

7. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Here is another source. I am unfamiliar with TNN (only watch TCM :)).

Turkey Vows Action to Defend Tomb in Syria From Al-Qaeda - Bloomberg

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    SajeevJino likes this.