Sweepers, ward boy perform surgeries

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I saw it on TV where the Secretary General of the Indian Medical Association and Kamal Farooqi an SP leader defend the idea of sweepers doing surgery.

Farooqi went to the extent of stating that it happened when the 'shift' changed and the other 22 doctors had gone to home for after all how could one expect that the doctors will be there 24 x 7.

On wonders that if such fools are representatives of UP, what is the real state is of the State.

This idiot has no clue about how a Hospital is administered and how the doctors roster is drawn up!

And he has the temerity to come on National TV, pretending to be wise, to only appear as an idiot and a laughing stock!

roma likes this.
  3. Ray

That UP medical scene is in a bad shape is so evident is proved by this in addition to the above

UP: Now, CMO's driver plays doctor in government hospital

After Bulandshahr and Ballia, two more incidents of class 4 employees posing as doctors in Uttar Pradesh have come to light in Meerut and Kushinagar.
    This time the Chief Medical Officer's driver was caught on camera administering saline drips to patients in the district government hospital in Kushinagar on Wednesday.
    The man, identified as Rajendra, was treating patients in emergency and general wards. However, the CMO claimed ignorance of the incident and has promised a probe.

More at:

UP: Now, CMO's driver plays doctor in government hospital - India - Uttar Pradesh - ibnlive

4. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

I see it through a different perspective!

Due to lack of medical doctors in UP and dismal health facilities! A ward boy/sweeper took the onus to help the needy through his experience! I think the patients and their families would Thanks Him for rest of their lives! Something is better than nothing! Be grateful to this chap!

Why kill the messenger?

5. Ray

It depends.

Did you see the TV?

All the surgical procedure was being undertaken without gloves.

If he had AIDS, the one being operated upon could kiss his remainder healthy life goodbye.

This is not war that a person cannot get immediate medical aid and so these things can happen.

In any hospital, the duty roster is so balanced that there are adequate doctors available and not just one!

Further, doctors are always on call and they turn up for emergencies.

Was the surgery life threatening?

Were there no para medics?

Was there no qualified nurse?

Was there no qualified OT assistance?

Or is the sweeper the sole person in the hospital?

Even an incorrect closing of a wound can cause Septicemia (blood poisoning). Septicemia is a serious, life-threatening infection that gets worse very quickly.

I would not give myself for operation, if there was no qualified doctor or OT assistant.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    panduranghari and maomao like this.
  6. Raj30

Raj30 Senior Member Senior Member

Debates: The ward boys who stitched patients' wounds in UP should be felicitated, not punished - Firstpost Debates

Defending the motion
    Abhay Vaidya
    The real story from Bulandshahar and Ballia is not that a ward boy and a sweeper administered injections and stitches to patients but whether they did it flawlessly. If the ward boy followed the procedures correctly and helped save the lives of the accident victims, then he and his seniors deserve to be felicitated and not punished. Agreed that they should have been wearing medical gloves as a part of the procedure - but then, in which part of the world do barefoot doctors have access to disposable gloves? Also, why pick on them when many of us highly educated folks drive ourselves to death by not wearing helmets and seatbelts as per the rules? The ward boy was not formally trained but certainly, he had been giving injections and administering stitches under the supervision of the hospital's doctors. The poor state of public healthcare system in India is part of a larger debate and discussion

Against the motion
    AyesheaPerera
    While the initiative of the ward boys in this instance should be lauded, the fact remains that medical procedures should not be carried out by unqualified personnel no matter who they are. Be it the sweeper or even the CEO of the hospital, if he/she is not properly trained to carry out medical procedures then he/she should not be allowed to do it. One cannot simply 'pick up' how to treat patients, like one would 'pick up' driving a car or using a computer. The risks in this instance are far greater, and could cause untold harm to dozens of patients who are in the care of the hospital. It is true that the issue highlights the plight of India's medical system but the answer is definitely not turning a blind eye to unqualified people treating patients, even if it is under the supervision of medical staff.

panduranghari likes this.
  7. Ray

Most disingenuous.

There is nothing called 'barefoot doctors'.

At best, they are barefoot paramedics.

On the issue of gloves, is this person suggesting that in a hospital, where as he claim that these people are well conversant, there are no gloves? If the Good Samaritan sweeper was all that conversant with surgical procedures did he not know that gloves are worn to protect not only the person who is doing the procedure, but also the patient?

The issue of educated persons not wearing helmet is the most pathetic argument that could be given. The one who does not wear the helmet is exposing HIMSELF to danger. But when someone is operating, the one who is operating is exposing the PATIENT to danger and not to himself

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  8. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

If Criminals can runs the government ... murderer (gunda) can me jail minister... so there is nothing new in this news ...::rolleyes:

9. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

I always say to people who try to criticize docs that Govt hospitals are the worst place to work except some good tertiary centers. People should visit any P.H.C. to understand, how our medical infra is in weak condition. And in areas like U.P. I don't even want to imagine about govt hospitals. Govt must recreate whole hospital and referal system.

drkrn and panduranghari like this.
  10. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

i always knew india is very talented country.

BTW cleaner is also human with brain.all he does not have is degree but if he has experience to surgery what wrong in it

BTW it was not major surgery but minor one or first aid. that a sweeper can do if he works in hospital for 5 yrs

drkrn likes this.
  11. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

I worked for 16 days in a dental practice in Mumbai 1 year post qualification and the boy who did deliveries of the laboratory stuff started doing crown preparation on patients as the dentist who owned the place was too busy and was old and could not do it.

Not just UP.

Standard of Indian healthcare is SHIT.

12. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

I used to see a lot of oral cancer cases who were treated unsuccessfully by Unani, etc from UP when I was doing my internship in Tata Memorial Hospital in Mumbai. Lots were so advanced that it was hopeless.

13. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

this is wat i said in my post 9. i agree with u

give one more example. on Indian roads 99% cleaner drives the truck on road when actual driver is tired and in this way he become driver..

14. Ray

Nothing wrong.

Hopefully he does a surgery on you and you are OK with it!

If it were a minor surgery and it could wait, then maybe one could wait for a qualified doctor to do it, rather than some enthusiastic chap who wanted to try his hand!

15. Apollyon

Apollyon Führer Senior Member

and morons who work in that hospital have gone on a strike to protest against suspension of that Sweeper cum Doctor, also 2 patients died because of this ... hopeless State and hopeless Country :frusty:

sayareakd likes this.
  16. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

may be all the doctors are like him.

17. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

(quote paragraphing was omitted)

i wont be surprised that; to complete the fullness of his idiocy , they will now blame the cleaners and "boys" ( they are now Men ) for taking on the job

18. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Promote the warboy/sweeper and give them free training courses and suspend the docs :taunt:

ani82v likes this.
  19. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

You're kidding, right ??

20. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

No... if wardboys are able to do a job which they are not supposed to do then the one who are supposed to do are not needed or need to be taught a lesson.If these actions are taken then it would teach future docs a lesson since they take things for granted.Provide some training to wardboys like basic nursing and then more if they are intrested.

Specially in these case where poor patient dies and docs forget their duty of saving lives.

Overall a pathetic news that wardboys have to do these jobs which can risk the life of the patient(infection etc)

21. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

Completely agree with you. Not joking.