Swapna Missile

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Op report itself is fancy, it's most probably Avatar, but the reporter has projected it to be a superrrrrrrrrr duperrrrrrrrrr weapon.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Well the report is fancy m, but it would not be surprising to see a missile with the DRDO scramjet in future. But I am sure that it wouldn't be "reusable".

Chinmoy

Country flag
Well the report is fancy m, but it would not be surprising to see a missile with the DRDO scramjet in future. But I am sure that it wouldn't be "reusable".
Missile in itself means any projectile thrown at you or by you. Even a bottle thrown by angry supporter in a football match is a missile.
Don't get confused by the word reusable. Actually on paper and technically a reusable missile is possible.

Country flag
I tried to find info about this missile but nothing much is available? There has been a trend of drdo making announcements long before they materialize. This might be a way to get more funding?

republic_roi97

Country flag
I tried to find info about this missile but nothing much is available? There has been a trend of drdo making announcements long before they materialize. This might be a way to get more funding?
DRDO is going to test the HSTDV in December I guess according to Wikipedia, I wanted to know that what would be the perpose of this DRDO HSTDV (perhaps an hypersonic missile??). If a hypersonic missile is forged out of this HSTDV, it might be named as Swapna missile, but then their is this "reusability" clause ofcourse.

Country flag
DRDO is going to test the HSTDV in December I guess according to Wikipedia, I wanted to know that what would be the perpose of this DRDO HSTDV (perhaps an hypersonic missile??). If a hypersonic missile is forged out of this HSTDV, it might be named as Swapna missile, but then their is this "reusability" clause ofcourse.
It may possibly be a hypersonic UAV?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Missile in itself means any projectile thrown at you or by you. Even a bottle thrown by angry supporter in a football match is a missile.
Don't get confused by the word reusable. Actually on paper and technically a reusable missile is possible.
But a missile is not supposed to be reusable. More a UCAV.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
@Chinmoy @LETHALFORCE @Indx TechStyle @republic_roi97 @pmaitra @Mikesingh @Hari Sud @Navnit Kundu @aditya g @A chauhan @Abhijat @Darth Malgus
Guys the concept Kalam Sir talked about is already under development. You must have heard of the PGS (Prompt Global Strike): where the Americans plan to be able to conduct a precision strike anywhere in the world at a mere 1 hour notice (and without the need for forward deployment, i.e. from U.S. soil). They intend to fulfill this aim by the FALCON program that DARPA is working on. Under the program they are developing a REUSABLE HYPERSONIC BOMBER (Unmanned). Its still a work in progress. Their HTV-2 vehicle (a FALCON testbed) failed miserably twice in its two tests in 2010 and 2011.
I think its a little too early to be developing such a high performance machine. We need more advancements in materials, avionics and seeker tech before something like this becomes practicable. DARPA has reportedly put the PGS program in cold storage. They are focusing first on a glide weapon for tactical use.

Last edited:

Akshay_Fenix

India to have Sudarshan Chakra-like missile soon

According to the Hindu scriptures, Sudarshan Chakra is the ultimate weapon of Lord Vishnu used for the destruction of enemy. The best part is it comes back to its original place after destructing the target.

The myth will now be reality.

In next few years, India will have its own Sudarshan Chakra-like deadly hypersonic potent missile.

BrahMos Aerospace India Ltd (BAIL) is currently working on BrahMos II programme where scientists have taken inspiration from Lord Vishnu’s weapon. Going at a speed of Mach 7, the missile would deliver the warhead, assess the destruction of target, come back and get ready to go again.

Talking to Headlines Today, Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and MD for BAIL, said, “It is our dream to make the best weapon. Our mythology has given us a lot of inputs. Out of all gods, only one weapon is moving and is ready to go in nanoseconds at the command of mind. It destroys the enemy and comes back, and that is Sudarshan Chakra.”

Dr Pillai, considered to be the father of the world’s fastest supersonic BrahMos cruise missile project, adds, “We have established a lead in supersonic missile. Definitely our country and its scientific community are capable of developing a hypersonic missile which is reusable. With technology changing every day and a sort of information war beginning in the world, there is a possibility of mind operating machines. Hypersonic vehicles with multi-use will reduce the cost putting payload in the orbit. It could deliver the payload at multiple points and it can come back. That is what we have thought of as our own version of Sudarshan Chakra.”

According to Dr Pillai, India will get this hypersonic missile in the next 5-7 years. At present, BAIL is working on the air-to-air missile, which should get ready by the end of 2014.

Dr Pillai’s ultimate dream is to establish a military industry complex which can provide all the weapons in the country. “We could be a self-reliant country in missile technology, but for that we need industry support,” he said.

At least 1 guy knows about it. @Adioz

Last edited:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
BrahMos Aerospace India Ltd (BAIL) is currently working on BrahMos II programme where scientists have taken inspiration from Lord Vishnu’s weapon. Going at a speed of Mach 7, the missile would deliver the warhead, assess the destruction of target, come back and get ready to go again.
So what's the big deal? Don't all combat drones like the Avenger and Predator etc deliver their missiles and come back for refueling and re-arming for the next mission?

Yes, the only difference is speed. So in other words the DRDO is working on a combat drone that flies at Mach 7. Ok, but what is this 'Sudarshan Chakra' stuff all about? All drones come back after a sortie. So aren't they all 'Sudarshan Chakras' too?

Or am I missing something here? :confused1:

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
@Adioz , @Akshay_Fenix , @Indx TechStyle , @LETHALFORCE got something interesting from "Strategic Affairs" Magazine :

View attachment 11098
Its certainly interesting that they started this project in 2013 because it was also in 2013 when they put the PGS and FALCON in cold storage. My take: It looks like a delivery vehicle for a glide weapon cloaked in the garb of a "reusable space plane". Understandable as an operational hypersonic glide weapon is their new stated aim.
:hmm:

It certainly does not look like a vehicle designed to go hypersonic in the stratosphere. The wings are too large and the nose cone does not look rounded enough to handle the bow shocks of a hypersonic flight in stratosphere.
In fact the nose cone looks much closer to that of the RLV-TD

Makes me wonder if we will also use such a vehicle to launch our glide weapons (when they are ready hopefully by 2027). It will be reusable and therefore less costly (though not suitable for mass launches) than a glide weapon being launched atop a rocket.
The future of Air forces worldwide is exciting.:bounce:

Akshay_Fenix

So what's the big deal? Don't all combat drones like the Avenger and Predator etc deliver their missiles and come back for refueling and re-arming for the next mission?

Yes, the only difference is speed. So in other words the DRDO is working on a combat drone that flies at Mach 7. Ok, but what is this 'Sudarshan Chakra' stuff all about? All drones come back after a sortie. So aren't they all 'Sudarshan Chakras' too?

Or am I missing something here? :confused1:
That entire thing is a missile.
Drones + missile are slow and easy to target from any AA guns.

Sudarshan Chakras will be a missile of Mach 7+ speed. Once it reaches the target, the warhead is released and the missile comes back for reuse.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Its certainly interesting that they started this project in 2013 because it was also in 2013 when they put the PGS and FALCON in cold storage. My take: It looks like a delivery vehicle for a glide weapon cloaked in the garb of a "reusable space plane". Understandable as an operational hypersonic glide weapon is their new stated aim.
:hmm:

It certainly does not look like a vehicle designed to go hypersonic in the stratosphere. The wings are too large and the nose cone does not look rounded enough to handle the bow shocks of a hypersonic flight in stratosphere.
In fact the nose cone looks much closer to that of the RLV-TD

Makes me wonder if we will also use such a vehicle to launch our glide weapons (when they are ready hopefully by 2027). It will be reusable and therefore less costly (though not suitable for mass launches) than a glide weapon being launched atop a rocket.
HSTDV as an HGV.:first:
The future of Air forces worldwide is exciting.:bounce:
Aerospace Forces.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
That entire thing is a missile.
Drones + missile are slow and easy to target from any AA guns.

Sudarshan Chakras will be a missile of Mach 7+ speed. Once it reaches the target, the warhead is released and the missile comes back for reuse.
That's what I said. The only difference is speed. Otherwise it's like any other combat drone that fires its missiles and heads back home. :biggrin2:

Chinmoy

Country flag
But a missile is not supposed to be reusable. More a UCAV.
:)... Actually it could be with what I've thought here at first place. Read the thread about HSDTV, Aura and others. But my concept is based more on FOBS with RLV type launcher which would use rocket boosters to propel itself to LEO. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles