Suspended for chanting Hindu prayer: Teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

KS

Bye bye DFI
The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Suspended for chanting Hindu prayer: Teacher

A chemistry teacher of SBOA School and Junior College in Anna Nagar West was suspended last week for 'manhandling and misbehaviour', but the teacher claimed that she was punished for reciting a Hindu prayer to students of Class XII .

On March 13, as the students were gearing up for their examination, teachers were about to recite their routine prayer. "Since the usual group of teachers pray before every examination, I volunteered this time. I said a prayer invoking the blessings of Hindu, Christian and Muslim Gods," said the teacher, P. Abirami.

Even as Ms. Abirami was reciting the prayer, some of the other teachers allegedly turned off the microphone. "If they had an issue with my prayer, they could have called me aside and spoken to me rather than behaving rudely in front of students," she said. "I did not give up but continued to say the prayers even more fervently," she added.

Students on Wednesday said it was unusual for teachers to behave in this way. "Usually a Christian prayer is said before we write examinations. But last week a teacher said some Hindu mantras and the other teachers tried to stop her by turning off the microphone," said a student.

Principal P. C. Selvarani, said that disciplinary action was taken against the teacher for behaving in an inappropriate manner . "The teacher does not handle Class XII and was on paper-correction duty that day. In spite of this, she came to up the dais, grabbed the mike and started speaking," she said. "It was against the code of conduct. She just intervened.," she said.

This sparked off protests by the BJP, VHP and the Hindu Munnani. Their activists staged a protest outside the school on Wednesday, following which 60 people were arrested and later released.
Such things in SBOA..:shocked:

I thought that was a non-religious school run by the State Bank officers association. This is silly and outrageous.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
How dare they issue a Hindu prayer in a Christian world.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Suspended for chanting Hindu prayer: Teacher

Such things in SBOA..:shocked:

I thought that was a non-religious school run by the State Bank officers association. This is silly and outrageous.
Well, when I was in SBOA, the assembly usually starts with a christian song. The song that is sung is the 1st para of the song "All things bright and beautiful...". It does not have any reference to Christ but nonetheless it is a christian song. As far as I remember there has never been any Hindu mantra in the assembly, I could be wrong though. Anyway this is followed by The Tamil Anthem or something. Even after listening to it a hundred times I could not sing it coz I think it is written in poetic Tamil or something. Anyway the song starts with "Neer aadum ..." something something. Tamil members will surely know this song. This is followed by some announcements and crap and finally the National Anthem.
There should be no problem in saying a Hindu prayer but if she barged in and said it without prior permission then there could be trouble especially with Selvarani as the Principal, she's a certified nutcase. I wonder how she became the Princi.

that means its a Christian missionary school...
Uhhh. That's not true dude.

KS

Bye bye DFI
If it's not a Christian missionary school, why was she punished.
SBOA is not a missionary school

There should be no problem in saying a Hindu prayer but if she barged in and said it without prior permission then there could be trouble especially with Selvarani as the Principal, she's a certified nutcase. I wonder how she became the Princi..
Well that seems to be not the case,

Students on Wednesday said it was unusual for teachers to behave in this way. "Usually a Christian prayer is said before we write examinations. But last week a teacher said some Hindu mantras and the other teachers tried to stop her by turning off the microphone," said a student.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If it's not a Christian missionary school, why was she punished.
Seemingly she said the prayer without permission and selvarani is not sane, she goes overboard with her punishment. Like once she threatened to give TC to an entire class because a window was broken and called our parents.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Seemingly she said the prayer without permission and selvarani is not sane, she goes overboard with her punishment. Like once she threatened to give TC to an entire class because a window was broken and called our parents.
as per selvarani, hindus needs to take written permission from christian honchos like her to utter prayers? is that correct?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Well that seems to be not the case,
I don't know why they did that majority of teachers there are Hindu. It could be that they did not take lightly to the 'barging in'.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
as per selvarani, hindus needs to take written permission from christian honchos like her to utter prayers? is that correct?
UTK I did not mean that permission needs to be taken for a Hindu prayer to be chanted in the assembly hall. What I meant is that the assembly is an preplanned event and so there is an order of events that happen. From what I read in the report she seems to have disturbed this order.
If she was denied permission for chanting a mantra, then that's obviously wrong, considering that the opening prayer itself is a Christian song.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
UTK I did not mean that permission needs to be taken for a Hindu prayer to be chanted in the assembly hall. What I meant is that the assembly is an preplanned event and so there is an order of events that happen. From what I read in the report she seems to have disturbed this order.
If she was denied permission for chanting a mantra, then that's obviously wrong, considering that the opening prayer itself is a Christian song.
well, the news article says that someone turned her mic off. i am still trying to understand why opening prayer is a christian song? can't it be more generic? why other religions student needs to or forced to sing christian song?

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
if i am hindu, i will chant hindu mantras only. if i am muslim, i will pray namaz or duha. if i am christian then i would pray to heavens. there is no need for someone to take action against this or turn the mic off..

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
well, the news article says that someone turned her mic off. i am still trying to understand why opening prayer is a christian song? can't it be more generic? why other religions student needs to or forced to sing christian song?
Well I thought about that too, when i was there. Maybe the prayer song should be replaced with the 'Pledge' (India is my country. All Indians are my brothers and sisters. ....) which few people know these days.

if i am hindu, i will chant hindu mantras only. if i am muslim, i will pray namaz or duha. if i am christian then i would pray to heavens. there is no need for someone to take action against this or turn the mic off..
Yeah that's true. You certainly have the right. But as I said, you can not barge into an assembly. That would not be right. It would be like a Christian missionary barging into your house and shouting prayers, at which point you should kick him out.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Yeah that's true. You certainly have the right. But as I said, you can not barge into an assembly. That would not be right. It would be like a Christian missionary barging into your house and shouting prayers, at which point you should kick him out.
was it a christian university/collage/school? - i don't think so.

was it a christian assembly gathered in a church or an examination hall? - if it is an examination hall, then people have all the right to pray as per their belief.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
was it a christian university/collage/school? - i don't think so.

was it a christian assembly gathered in a church or an examination hall? - if it is an examination hall, then people have all the right to pray as per their belief.
All I am saying is since it was an organized event, it would have been appropriate for the teacher to make known her desire to recite a Hindu prayer and it was rude for the teacher who switched off the mic to have done so.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
"All things bright and beautiful..." It does not have any reference to Christ but nonetheless it is a christian song..

A hymn a lyric is poem, reverently and devotionally conceived, which is designed to be sung and which expresses the worshipper's attitude toward God or God's purposes in human life.

It is a Anglican hymn.

There is reference to 'Lord God'. In Christianity Jesus is taken to Lord God, but in the sense of the Trinity.

One could take it that since it is an Anglican hymn and usually sung in Churches, it is in praise of the the 'Christian' God.

I take it that in other religions, their 'hymns' I*(in sense of their religious praise to God) would be equally universal and yet meaning their God!

Unnecessary controversy!

Just like the controversy of Vande Mataram.

Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
All I am saying is since it was an organized event, it would have been appropriate for the teacher to make known her desire to recite a Hindu prayer
do christian teachers do the same? - do they announce their desire first before singing christian songs

i am still trying to understand why christian song/prayer is forced upon on all students :dude:

it was rude for the teacher who switched off the mic to have done so.
it was just not rude, it was racism. she deserves equal punishment for turning the mic off. why she is not suspended? why no action is taken against this teacher? why this partiality?

Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
A hymn a lyric is poem, reverently and devotionally conceived, which is designed to be sung and which expresses the worshipper's attitude toward God or God's purposes in human life.

It is a Anglican hymn.

There is reference to 'Lord God'. In Christianity Jesus is taken to Lord God, but in the sense of the Trinity.

One could take it that since it is an Anglican hymn and usually sung in Churches, it is in praise of the the 'Christian' God.

I take it that in other religions, their 'hymns' I*(in sense of their religious praise to God) would be equally universal and yet meaning their God!

Unnecessary controversy!

Just like the controversy of Vande Mataram.
would christains chant hindu mantras and sing bhajans too? because they also refer to "lord god" i am sure our hindu mantras are also universal.

would they offer namaz too? because namaz also refers to "lord god"

with all respect ray sir, we dont want to derail this topic. we don't need any preaching regarding this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles