Supreme Court Switches Over To Ubuntu 10.04

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Friday, October 07, 2011: Now, the Supreme Court of India has directed all the courts across the nation to switch over to Ubuntu 10.04. The apex court has also given all the courts customised Ubuntu Linux DVD for installation.

Over 17,000 courts across the country were using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 for the last four years. The e-committee of the Supreme Court Of India has issued a circular for 'Guidelines for Roll-out and Installation of Ubuntu Linux for Indian Judiciary' for the purpose. The circular talks about the replication and installation of the Ubuntu Linux operating system.

The circular says that an acknowledgment of Installation & Receipt of Ubuntu Linux OS DVD be given by the judicial officers in the prescribed form.

A detailed video tutorial and a PDF file containing 25 salient features of Ubuntu Linux OS DVD have also been created and uploaded on the Supreme Court website. The circular asks all the system officers and system assistants working under the eCourts project be instructed to download and watch the video and understand the contents of the PDF file, so that they can enable themselves to provide support to the judicial officers and courts for installation and use of Ubuntu Linux OS in laptops and desktops.

It instructs immediate circulation of 'Ubuntu Installation & Features Video' to all the judicial officers so that they can understand the same before DVD reaches them. "The Ubuntu Linux operating system can be installed by the judicial officer on his own also as the installation process is very easy, intuitive and self-explanatory. In fact, it shall be a welcome change and a desired enablement on the part of the judicial officers if they become self-dependent in this aspect also. It is only required to be instructed to all the judicial officers that if they are installing the Ubuntu Linux in their laptops by themselves, they should first download and watch the video available on the Supreme Court of India's website. They must then take the backup of their data. Only then, they should proceed with the installation," mentions the circular...

For full news click :- Supreme Court Switches Over To Ubuntu 10.04

SPIEZ

Country flag
LukerBaba would be happy on seeing this article.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
you guys should see E court in Delhi High Court, plus i have seen many lawyers using I pad and Tab where all their file is downloaded in Pdf format.

I once attending court proceeding where judge acceded internet in court shown to all on big screen. I am waiting for day when we can argue through webcam.

A chauhan

Country flag
Saya i have argued through video conference in RTI appeals but haven't seen E-courts of Delhi...

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Don't know why they switched from Red Hat to Ubuntu, a switch to Scientific Linux would have made more sense

Ubuntu is a good OS, though why not 11.04?
Probably because 10.04 is a Long Term support version.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
i think cross examination through video conference has been done in India

A chauhan

Country flag
Ubuntu is a good OS, though why not 11.04?
I upgraded my Ubuntu 10.10 with 11.04 and oh my god !! 11.04 stands no where before 10.10 or 10.04, it was buggy and in my opinion it needs almost an year to be stable like 10.10 or 10.04. Day before yesterday i downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 and tried it in live mode but still i think it needs almost one year to become mature and stable with Unity interface. Currently i am on Ubuntu 10.10 (Ultimate Edition 2.9) :) and no doubt Ubuntu 10.04.3 is the most stable Linux distro ever and SC is hinting at 10.04.3 :rolleyes:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles