Sukhoi Su 30MKI

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

MKI is a great platform for long range anti-ship patrol or for preforming CAP over IOR where PLAN carriers can infiltrate with its air wing consist of J15s..

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag

MKI is a great platform for long range anti-ship patrol or for preforming CAP over IOR where PLAN carriers can infiltrate with its air wing consist of J15s..
IMO we should take lessons from Taiwan and it's extensive defensive fortifications when thinking about fortifying the Andaman islands.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If PLAN is able to capture even a single island at A&N islands, Its a win for them against Indian Navy ..

IMO we should take lessons from Taiwan and it's extensive defensive fortifications when thinking about fortifying the Andaman islands.

smestarz

Country flag
there is a lot of confusion in the nomenclature of Sukhoi Flanker family
Su-32 Full back, (as know before) is now Su-34, Su-33 is the ship based version of Su-30 .
The Chinese have Su-33 with them also.

That would be the Su-33. We evaluated it as INS Vikramaditya's air wing fighter, and allegedly the avionics were poorer that the Mig-29K, which we chose. A Su-33K version was supposedly under development, but with the sole Russian carrier Kuznetsov on the backburner, the project might have been shelved. China has their J-15 which is similar to the Su-33K.

And having the platform shore based isn't feasible I think. Our naval air wing isn't that big.

smestarz

Country flag
Su-30 MKI is a good platform, but If I have to select a good candidate for patrolling of the sea and have the offensive ability, I would prefer Su-34,
It was designed to be different from Air Dominance Su-30 MKI as being more heavier, having more powerful engine and hence ability to carry more heavy loads. Technically it is between Su-30 MKI and Tupolev Black Jack. If Indian navy is looking for shore based long range MRCA with good ability to conduct strikes then my money would be on Su-34.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Consider present logistics chain with respect to spare availability via HAL, which effect sortie rate..

That is why we are talking about feasibility about Navy`s MKI in MKI thread, otherwise we would have been in some other thread ..

Su-30 MKI is a good platform, but If I have to select a good candidate for patrolling of the sea and have the offensive ability, I would prefer Su-34,
It was designed to be different from Air Dominance Su-30 MKI as being more heavier, having more powerful engine and hence ability to carry more heavy loads. Technically it is between Su-30 MKI and Tupolev Black Jack. If Indian navy is looking for shore based long range MRCA with good ability to conduct strikes then my money would be on Su-34.
there is a lot of confusion in the nomenclature of Sukhoi Flanker family
Su-32 Full back, (as know before) is now Su-34, Su-33 is the ship based version of Su-30 .
The Chinese have Su-33 with them also.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The same goes for us for resupplying A&N island, PLAN has a very capable amphibious force which can be targeted via long range anti-ship missiles possibility airborne, long before they reach any where near Andaman sea ..

Capturing an island is easier than being able to retain it. If the PLAN does capture an island, but cannot reinforce it or ensure regular supplies, then they'll either die, withdraw or surrender.

Willy2

That would be the Su-33. We evaluated it as INS Vikramaditya's air wing fighter, and allegedly the avionics were poorer that the Mig-29K, which we chose. A Su-33K version was supposedly under development, but with the sole Russian carrier Kuznetsov on the backburner, the project might have been shelved. China has their J-15 which is similar to the Su-33K.

And having the platform shore based isn't feasible I think. Our naval air wing isn't that big.
The point is not about "dedicated" naval fighter with carrier landing capacity....we have Mig 29K ( dedicated naval fighter)based in naval stations ,but they have much lower range and capacity than Mki .
We don't need to put them on carrier ,but even from shore based air-filed we can conduct strategic bombing with Mki's

After modernization when MKI have capacity to carry Brahmos, they can be utilize as small scale strategic bombers under navy's hand...like small Tu-22
Imagine ..posting Mki in Nicobar...we have effective air superiority over straight of Malacca...
To do it with Mig29K ,we need to put them on carrier ...while Su-30MKi can do it from regular naval stations

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
The point is not about "dedicated" naval fighter with carrier landing capacity....we have Mig 29K ( dedicated naval fighter)based in naval stations ,but they have much lower range and capacity than Mki .
We don't need to put them on carrier ,but even from shore based air-filed we can conduct strategic bombing with Mki's

After modernization when MKI have capacity to carry Brahmos, they can be utilize as small scale strategic bombers under navy's hand...like small Tu-22
Imagine ..posting Mki in Nicobar...we have effective air superiority over straight of Malacca...
To do it with Mig29K ,we need to put them on carrier ...while Su-30MKi can do it from regular naval stations
That reasoning is sound, but the jurisdiction issue needs to be sorted out for that. IAF has to be willing to let Navy operate MKIs, and seeing how they want the Apaches for themselves, I don't think it's going to be easy.

Last edited:

Willy2

That reasoning is sound, but the jurisdiction issue needs to be sorted out for that. IAF has to be willing to let Navy operate MKIs, and seeing how they want the Apaches for themselves, I don't think it's going to be easy.
With IAF's Sukhoi this scenario is very much possible...thats why we need MKI's under navy's colour ....might additional 40/50 MKI's for only Navy

tejas warrior

Country flag
As I read few Reports, are we in process of ordering more MKIs on top of current order of 272, anyone has clear idea ?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
As I read few Reports, are we in process of ordering more MKIs on top of current order of 272, anyone has clear idea ?
I think the next order is for 36 Rafale, IAF is not keen on $75 million per MKI and is more concerned with Super 30 upgrade.

Kay

Country flag
Capturing an island is easier than being able to retain it. If the PLAN does capture an island, but cannot reinforce it or ensure regular supplies, then they'll either die, withdraw or surrender.
To be fair the nature of warfare has changed. Now you have to capture territory and up the nuclear rhetoric to force a ceasefire using international pressure before enemy can recapture territory back. We have to watch out against first strikes.

Prashant12

Country flag
India all set to trial supersonic cruise missile BrahMos on Wednesday

BHUBANESWAR: Finally the D-Day arrived. The aircraft is ready and so also the missile. India is all set to conduct the first trial of supersonic cruise missile BrahMos from Sukhoi-30 MKI on Wednesday.

Defence sources said the aircraft will take off from an air force base in West Bengal and fire the missile against a target over the Bay of Bengal. Preparation has been completed for the maiden trial.

Initially, though it was planned in 2015, the test was deferred due to delay in integration with the aircraft.

"The launch window is 10 am to 12 noon. Two aircraft have been kept ready. While one has been integrated with the missile another will track all along its flight - from fire to hit. We all are excited for the mission," said a defence official from New Delhi.

Jointly developed by India and Russia, the air force version of 8.4-meter BrahMos missile, fastest in the world, has a strike range of 290 km and carries a conventional warhead up to 300 kg. With high-precision, it has devastating power at a supersonic speed of Mach 2.8.

Defence sources said the BrahMos Aerospace had to reduce the weight of the missile as it is to be launched from a moving platform unlike its army and navy versions. Some modifications have also been made in its design to easily integrate it in Sukhoi aircraft.

Though the air-version of the missile is yet to be tested, several countries had evinced interest in the weapon system during the recently concluded Dubai air show. Earlier, it had demonstrated successful integration with the aircraft.

If test fired successfully, BrahMos will be first weapon system in the world to have such capability. As of now, there is no such weapon available which can be fired from land, sea and air platforms.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...ise-missile-brahmos-on-wednesday-1707366.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles