Sukhoi Su 30MKI

smestarz

Country flag
Just wonder why IAF top brass did not have the vision to have MAWS for Su-30 MKI where as Malaysia has MAWS for their Su-30 MKMs
This shows in a way that IAF leadership is not as visionary as they show off to be, Where their interest lies???
You can know from the case of ACM Tyagi and the behaviour of NAK Browne
SU30MKI armed Brahmos ALCM will create havoc in the enemy camp though it needs to operate in conjunction with AWACS/AEW&C aircraft because of lack of Missile Approach Warning System (MAWS) and its resultant vulnarabiliry to BVRAAM/AAM in the former. Only MAWS equipped aircraft in the IAF inventory is the Mirage2000upg.

sbm

Country flag
There was a major attempt to retrofit them but the work required extensive internal modifications. Hence it is planned to be a pylon system.

captscooby81

Country flag
You might be having better knowledge of the IAF ADs can the pechoras be able to bring down chinese Cruise missiles ???

There was a major attempt to retrofit them but the work required extensive internal modifications. Hence it is planned to be a pylon system.

Last edited:

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
You might be having better knowledge of the IAF ADs whats the protection for our Air bases against chinese Cruise missiles ???
The below are the current active ADs in official.
Akash SAM, Kub (SA-6 Gainful), S-125 Neva/Pechora, S-200, 9K33 Osa (SA-8 Gecko), 9K35 Strela-10 (SA-13 Gopher), 9K22 Tunguska, ZSU-23-4M 'Shilka', ZSU-23-2, FIM-92 Stinger
Along with this few spyder systems are also available for IAF & corps of armu AD.

I Can also share the present air defence systems at AFBs (specially in eastern India) but I will not going to do so because of sensible reasons. I think you can understand the same.

@sbm
You can cross-check my information about hardened hangers. Use Google maps for that but you'll not find fighter jets taking sunbath specially in eastern India.
:yo:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IAF AD is a joke, They are pushing their agenda to snatch Army AD from Army ..

Their understanding of air-force is only to fly aircraft, Only few years back they created gurada SF before that they had their ground crew working as security guards, They don`t have any plans of reserve pilots either ..

You might be having better knowledge of the IAF ADs can the pechoras be able to bring down chinese Cruise missiles ???

tharun

Patriot
Country flag

Their understanding of air-force is only to fly aircraft, Only few years back they created gurada SF before that they had their ground crew working as security guards, They don`t have any plans of reserve pilots either ..
Air defense should be separate branch.
IAF need to take care of their aircraft first.
We need different AD responsibilities like base protection is the duty of their base commander.While on move short range defense should be provided by taken care of the army itself by using Pantsir or other sort of.
Area defense like long range SAM's and anti-ballistic missile should be maintained by separate branch.

captscooby81

Country flag
Please don't tell me about the pilot reserve ..Most of my father colleagues back in 90s moved from IAF to Commercial airlines for greener pastures ..The biggest problem with critical manpower resources in IAF.. the latest is Mofo indigo was trying to poach Dornier pilots from ICGS and Navy for their upcoming ATR fleet with some attractive salary ..Govt should tell these airlines to keep their shit away from the Armed forces pilot ..These terrains what they fly are not anything like the civilian airlines fly and also the SOPs are totally different ..When pilots of IL-76,C-17,C-130 Quit and go its not such easy to replace that hands on experience what they had ..Better to have a back up Reserve pilots always ..what to say our Mod is always shortsighted never foresee the future obstacles...

sbm

Country flag
Maybe. They do have the potential to do just that. It's whether the acquisition can be made and an effective firing solution achieved at ultra low altitude. The IAF's 8 OSA-AKM sqn can certainly engage cruise missiles as can the L70/40 guns deployed at VA/VP. Akash can definitely engage cruise missiles as well.

sbm

Country flag
The below are the current active ADs in official.
Akash SAM, Kub (SA-6 Gainful), S-125 Neva/Pechora, S-200, 9K33 Osa (SA-8 Gecko), 9K35 Strela-10 (SA-13 Gopher), 9K22 Tunguska, ZSU-23-4M 'Shilka', ZSU-23-2, FIM-92 Stinger
Along with this few spyder systems are also available for IAF & corps of armu AD.

I Can also share the present air defence systems at AFBs (specially in eastern India) but I will not going to do so because of sensible reasons. I think you can understand the same.

@sbm
You can cross-check my information about hardened hangers. Use Google maps for that but you'll not find fighter jets taking sunbath specially in eastern India.
:yo:
S-200? I had seen a single report on that back in 1985. That's the SA-5 for those who may not know. Where how and how many?

sbm

Country flag
Please don't tell me about the pilot reserve ..Most of my father colleagues back in 90s moved from IAF to Commercial airlines for greener pastures ..The biggest problem with critical manpower resources in IAF.. the latest is Mofo indigo was trying to poach Dornier pilots from ICGS and Navy for their upcoming ATR fleet with some attractive salary ..Govt should tell these airlines to keep their shit away from the Armed forces pilot ..These terrains what they fly are not anything like the civilian airlines fly and also the SOPs are totally different ..When pilots of IL-76,C-17,C-130 Quit and go its not such easy to replace that hands on experience what they had ..Better to have a back up Reserve pilots always ..what to say our Mod is always shortsighted never foresee the future obstacles...
As part of the statutes governing the IAF, there is the Air Force Reserve and something termed the Air Defence Reserve (there used to be an Auxiliary Air Force but while it exists on the statute books it was disbanded). Whether enforced or not, there is a reserve liability and the power to call up civilian pilots does exist. You'll need to go through the statute books.

Kunal, isn't it the case that even the army only has a 2 year reserve liability for ORs and JCOs? Doesn't amount to many people and the TA is even smaller.

smestarz

Country flag
MAWS were around since the early 90s if I am not mistaken, But furthermore, the way IAF was stressing the need for AESA for Tejas (but they never insisted one for Mirage 2000 upgrade, which is surprising) they never seems to have stressed for the need for MAWS as urgently.

When the MKIs were on offer, MAWS weren't around.

smestarz

Country flag
It is not only the IAF but most of the top brass of our forces are more involved to have more assets than the other than to make the assets really useful. Security is important in air base but they assume that when someone gets in by cutting the wire cutters, they would probably run down the runaway and be easy targets. As Pathankot has shown us that if the air bases are not secure, we as a nation might not be that effective against enemies.
The attack on Pathankot had made the air base unusable for almost a week. Just patrolling by Jeeps would not do, we have to develop a unit whose main job would be to try and gain entry into air bases by dubious ways (what terorrists can do) and then plug those. Also mock drills should be provided by experts to Air base security as to how they would be co-ordinating when the base is attacked, there should be standard operating procedure. And this procedure should be common for each air base, so that if people are transferred they can still be effective from day 1.

IA and IAF are going to be at loggerheads for Attack/Combat helicopters air defence and even Strategic missiles. As per me, Attack helicopters should be with Indian army, because the role of helicopters is more of Army support role, those are not strategic or tactical roles. I might go further and say that few squadrons of Tejas should be given to Army which use it for CAS and air interception roles, These pilots better be army pilots just to avoid any issues. Air defence is both Army and IAF matter, the army needs it to protect its important assets. So in my view is that Indian army should have some missile units for SR and MR missiles, where as the IAF has its own units of full spectrum of SAM missiles.

I am also of the opinion that Indian navy should have land bases along the coast where it uses planes like Tejas to ensure security along the maritime coast of India. Thus the idea would be to co-ordinate between all the three forces so that the national security is not undermined.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Not too confident about the pechora since it's contemporary to the SA-2, so unless the electronics, propulsion, warhead etc were heavily upgraded, it's quite dated. And S-200 was designed to protect against high altitude bombers, not sure how it performs against low level strike birds. Osa, Strela are too short ranged and designed for armored column defence, again unsure how they would perform in static defence. Only system with a bit of publicity is the SA-6 with it's supposed reputation against low flying birds demonstrated in Yom Kippur war, but that was almost 50 years ago.

gadeshi

So we dont have any S300s?

I thought India had bought a few.
I think Indian Army should get S-300V-4 (S-400 version for Army War Theater AD units).

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles