Sukhoi Su 30MKI

sorcerer

Country flag
"We hope India can stick to arrangements between two sides and avoid disturbing peace and stability in border areas," Lu added.
Did the chinese mean...stop looking for your missing Su.
Well!!!!

sbm

Country flag
@sthf: to your questions, I've been trying to get the frontage of an IBG clarified. No luck, I'd estimate 15-25km is realistic but it is a guess.
As to the SAMs: 501 and 502 AD Groups mustered a total of 180 SA-6 launchers at peak with close defence now provided by Igla SAMs. I am not entirely certain what's left now as there were some spares issues and natural ageing but the missiles were re-lifed (as incidentally were the OSA-AKM and Pechoras). From an ADA book, but unclassified I counted 20-21 L-40/70 regiments each with 48 guns, 8 AD Composite Regiments with Zu-23-2 and Igla SAMs, 6 Missile SP units operating a mix of OSA-AKM and Strella 10M, 1 Tunguska regiment, 4 Shilka regiments and 3 regiments with truck mounted Zu-23-2. There is also a Para AD battery largely equipped with Iglas but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a composite battery with some ZU-23-2.

sthf

Country flag
@sbm My estimate was about 30 km. I tried to look it not as an IBG but as an armoured division.

As for SA-6, correct me if I am wrong, 180 launchers will translate to 10 regiments each of 16 launchers + 2 reserve. So 5 regiments for each group.

This is current configuration of Akash regiments set to replace SA-6.

xeaaex

@Khagesh @singhboy98 @xeaaex @TPFscopes well here is the official statement from IAF about the missing Su-30MKi surprise the aircraft went missing on a two aircraft formation routine training

View attachment 16166
Two aircraft formation that means there buddy pilots might be knowing what happened and where it happened and that's why they are focusing on searching the aircraft.
But then why did we asked chinese about our aircraft? This question remains mistery
Did we ask it officially or did media people inquired aboit our missing Sukhoi.

This two aircraft formation, coupled with asking chinese about our aircraft makes picture more fuzzy.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
@sbm My estimate was about 30 km. I tried to look it not as an IBG but as an armoured division.

As for SA-6, correct me if I am wrong, 180 launchers will translate to 10 regiments each of 16 launchers + 2 reserve. So 5 regiments for each group.

This is current configuration of Akash regiments set to replace SA-6.

Each regiment has 24 launchers in 6 troops as shown in the infocard. I cross-checked with Tarmak. Following are the two excerpts from Tarmak

The IAF has ordered for eight squadrons (2 + 6) of Akash systems and the Army for two regiments.
The numbers of the current combined orders will definitely make any desi defence devotee proud: 2,500 missiles, 112 launchers, 28 multi-functional phased array radars (MPARs) and 100 3-D Central Acquisition Radars (3-D CARs).
As we know each IAF Squadron has 2 flights with 4 launchers each which makes the IAF total as 8x2x4=64, remaining 112-64=48 for two regiments. Each regiment with 6 troops with 4 launchers each is 24 launchers per regiment. The numbers here add up.

https://tarmak007.blogspot.in/2011/12/happy-hours-2500-missiles-112-launchers.html

Reactions: sbm

sbm

Country flag
The two regiments can't quite replace the SA-6 groups for sheer numbers of launchers but I am really curious as to where and how they will be deployed. That was some great mathematics and thanks!

On an unrelated point, the Su-30 crash - it could be we asked the Chinese (who like anyone else would have their air surveillance radars on) if they had any additional radar info. In a situation like this, you don't muck about - any information is good to have.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
The two regiments can't quite replace the SA-6 groups for sheer numbers of launchers but I am really curious as to where and how they will be deployed. That was some great mathematics and thanks!

On an unrelated point, the Su-30 crash - it could be we asked the Chinese (who like anyone else would have their air surveillance radars on) if they had any additional radar info. In a situation like this, you don't muck about - any information is good to have.
The Army is also going to acquire MR-SAM so that is one other thing we have to keep our eye out for. This year they were displayed at the Republic Day parade, T-90S from 1st Armoured Division were displayed as well and the 1st Armoured comes under the IInd Corps. AFAIK and I might be wrong here but vehicles from one specific Corps are represented in the republic day parade.

The book you mentioned before, is that available for reading online? I know almost little to nothing about how IA AD regts are ORBATed.

Reactions: sbm

akk

Country flag
I have a nagging feeling and I hope I am wrong.
Is it possible that China tested their recent s400 on our su30? It is possible our radars picked up missile but we cannot accept it (for the same reason pakistan refuses to accept our attacks.....acceptance means a compulsion to respond and we don't have the means to respond to China).
Is there a way to know?
one possibility. . ..If we see dome concrete talks on our own s400 in the next 2-3 days, it may be a hint......I guess no other system is capable of tit for tat response. I guess China would not indulge in such things if we have the same capability......or.......Any idea if we already a capability to down a Chinese plane in their own airspace with declaring?

Akshay_Fenix

Is it possible that China tested their recent s400 on our su30? It is possible our radars picked up missile but we cannot accept it (for the same reason pakistan refuses to accept our attacks.....acceptance means a compulsion to respond and we don't have the means to respond to China).
Is there a way to know?
one possibility. . ..If we see dome concrete talks on our own s400 in the next 2-3 days, it may be a hint......I guess no other system is capable of tit for tat response. I guess China would not indulge in such things if we have the same capability......or.......Any idea if we already a capability to down a Chinese plane in their own airspace with declaring?
Nothing to do with China. Bad weather conditions and bad luck.

Weather conditions out there have still not improved, which is why it's taking time.

Screenshot_20170525-042411~2.png

And about the S400, those things are utter crap. Remember USA strikes on Syrian air base.

akk

Country flag
Nothing to do with China. Bad weather conditions and bad luck.

Weather conditions out there have still not improved, which is why it's taking time.

View attachment 16177

And about the S400, those things are utter crap. Remember USA strikes on Syrian air base.
I hope you are correct.
not sure about Syria comparison though.
I remember coming across news items that a significant number of missiles were shot down. RCS wise, su30 is arguably one of the worst aircraft. Speedwise, a missile and fighters are different leagues.
I still hope my fear is baseless.

sbm

Country flag
The Army is also going to acquire MR-SAM so that is one other thing we have to keep our eye out for. This year they were displayed at the Republic Day parade, T-90S from 1st Armoured Division were displayed as well and the 1st Armoured comes under the IInd Corps. AFAIK and I might be wrong here but vehicles from one specific Corps are represented in the republic day parade.

The book you mentioned before, is that available for reading online? I know almost little to nothing about how IA AD regts are ORBATed.
No it isn't online. It's a limited print book that I got a the USI library and then (by way of a generous gift) obtained a copy. The MRSAM will be a huge improvement. I suspect that they will augment and then completely supplant the SA-6.

About the Su-30MKI crash, unlikely it is hostile action. That amounts to a declaration of war and more importantly the RWR of the aircraft would have given a warning and that communicated. No. Something unfortunate happened in bad weather over hostile terrain. Sad that 7 aircraft have been lost but this was over nearly 20 years of operating the type.

Narasimh

Country flag
Here you go, criticism based on facts, just 2 posts above your comment :

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/sukhoi-su-30mki.43829/page-60#post-1304717
First, like I said, we are so prone to generalizing things that the Augusta scam involving the one "accused" ACM Tyagi has made you doubt everything about IAF. You are basically seeing the IAF as almost an anti-national org where everyone is interested in personal benefits only. I don't believe that is the case.

I remember just like when a Navy officer was found in bed with Russian mistress while on deputation to Sevmash for Vikramaditya, people started talking that most Navy officers are like that. But we also saw honorable men like admiral D K Joshi.

Second, I can understand the criticism that IAF is trumpeting the two front war scenario and asking to get more imported equipment. But I don't agree when people conclude that this all being done so the IAF top brass can get personal benefits and kickbacks.

When IAF has a professional duty to guard the Indian skies at all costs, it has the right to ask for the best equipment for itself. I know this may not be aligned with national aspiration of being self dependent but that is where the Govt has to play its role. RM Parrikar played that part well.

kunal1123

Country flag
idrw.org
Missing Sukhoi Su-30 MKI: IAF expands search into Bhutan; news on aircraft likely today
4-5 minutes
SOURCE : FP / PTI

The massive search and rescue operation that has been going on for the missing Sukhoi Su-30 MKI since Tuesday afternoon may end on Thursday after reports began trickling in about some information about the jet.

“I cannot confirm (its location) to you now, but there is some positive information trickling in. I can confirm that only in the evening. When we were informed that the aircraft had gone missing we activated all our administrative network including gaon burhas (village heads) and circle offices for sightings of any wreckage or of the aircraft itself. However, the actual search and rescue information has to be provided by the Indian Air Force only,” Sonitpur district deputy commissioner Manoj Kumar Deka told Firstpost from Tezpur in Assam.

The search for the missing aircraft was extended beyond the West Kameng district in Arunachal Pradesh right into Bhutan.

“We have deployed two teams one with 175 people and the other with 120 including personnel from Arunachal Pradesh Police. On Wednesday, there was a strong army contingent of 500 personnel as well. A team of nearly 700 people is looking for the aircraft. I cannot tell you about the strength of the army search team today. However, yesterday we have contacted our counterparts in the eastern Bhutan districts of Trashigang and Trashiyangtse and sought their help as well. In Arunachal Pradesh, the search is limited to the West Kameng district only. We are doing a dawn to dusk search and the weather is a concern as it is very cloudy. The terrain is also a challenge due to dense forest,” said West Kameng district deputy commissioner Sonal Swaroop.

Helicopters and aircraft were pressed into service since Tuesday by the Indian Air Force to search for the Sukhoi fighter jet that went missing with two pilots onboard over Tezpur in Assam, but bad weather affected the operation.

The IAF had said the search operation was continuing despite overcast sky and spells of rains and thundershowers in parts of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh where the SU-30 MKI plane is suspected to have crashed.

An IAF spokesperson said in New Delhi that a Su-30 aircraft with recce capabilities is also being utilised for locating the missing plane.

According to reports on Wednesday, apart from the aerial assets, four groups of IAF personnel, nine parties of the Indian Army and two teams from the state administration have been deployed to look for the fighter jet.

“Search and rescue operations resumed at daybreak today. A C-130 transport aircraft with an electro-optical payload, an advanced light helicopter and Chetak helicopters of the IAF have been tasked for this mission,” IAF spokesperson Wing Commander Anupam Banerjee had said.

He, however, said “marginal weather” (adverse to a military operation) prevailing over the area being searched,
is hampering the operation.

The Sukhoi jet went missing after taking off from Tezpur Air Force station at 10:30 am on Tuesday. The plane, which was part of a two-aircraft formation, was on a routine training sortie and had lost radar and radio contact around 60 kilometres northeast of the airbase.

“Till now, no breakthrough has been made in locating the aircraft and its pilots,” the IAF spokesperson had said on Wednesday.

The last contact with the plane was made when it was flying over Dubia in Gohpur sub-division of Biswanath district, adjacent to Sonitpur.

The first batch of the Russia-made fighter jet was inducted by the IAF in the late 1990s. Since their induction,
seven crashes have taken place.

The country’s frontline SU-30 MKI aircraft were deployed in the Tezpur airbase on June 15, 2009 for guarding the Sino-India frontier in Arunachal Pradesh.

At present, two squadrons comprising around 36 aircraft are deployed at Tezpur.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Is there a way to know?
It is also possible he defected to China. It is hard to find that which does not want to be found.

smestarz

Country flag
Unfortunately,. Indians do not have much in common so that defection might really help,
He would always stick out like a sore thumb, Further a problem is, One pilot thinking of defecting ok, but the pair thinking of defecting together, highly unlikely..
Further you are talking of defecting and asking for Refuge in country that does not really allow foreigners to get citizenship... its a big ask
It is also possible he defected to China. It is hard to find that which does not want to be found.

singhboy98

Country flag
This defection claim is BS. The 2 pilots are most probably dead and like I said, don't tar the memories of such people with claims that do not have any locus standing whatsoever. If you have any proof/facts that support your claim, then by all means, go to the the Courts/Media/Govt. etc. Else STFU. Crashes happen when you train hard. It is time people accepted it. Stop acting like loony teens with nothing better to do in life. This may offend some people but I don't give a f**k. Most of us have seen the amount of dedication the men/women in uniform show to their work and country. The least we can do is trust them to do their job.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Can Lightning strikes damage the plane and cause its crash

That area has been seeing heavy rainfall

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles