Sukhoi PAK FA

smestarz

Country flag
They got to speed it up, because if ROFAR can do what it is predicted to do, that would make almost all planes which are trying to sell now, OBSOLETE
ROFAR is a prospective to implement after 2025 and will be possibly a part of T-50M package.
Now we should be happy with GaN DAESA :)

gadeshi

It won't, the general public just get the wrong idea of what is ROFAR and what it supposed to do. https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v507/n7492/full/nature13078.html is a good article about photonic radar
Yes, but several effects depicted in this article are achievable on current AESAs if you'll make fully digital TRMs without DAP/ADP transition, like NIIP did with N036 creating worlds first fully digital AESA (DAESA, or TsAR in Russian :) ).
ROFAR allows dosens of times amplify these results while it works with Tera-Hertz frequencies.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

smestarz

Country flag
WOW so would that mean if India would go for PAKFA as they are or the MKIsed version (FGFA)
The only countries that have actually developed 5th Gen tech are USA, Russia, France (doubtful, just a lot of spinning). UK (same as France) and Israel (will be getting a great help from USA)
So if to go for FGFA means what avionics would we want from the countries that are willing to offer, would those avionics enhance the PAKFA or have no change.

5 person commitee report on whether to go ahead with FGFA to come out on Monday

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Any confirmed number of requirements of SUKHOI T-50 for Russian Air Force

smestarz

Country flag
I would not really go for the number (400)
Su-27 is capable plane, but PAKFA is more technologically advanced and also expensive to buy, use and maintain.. So my guess is that Su-27 will be replaced by a bit lesser nos of Su-35 , Su-30 SM and also say upto 150 PAKFA. , Buying 400 PAKFA is an overkill unless Russia plans to go to war the day that the last unit is delivered.

12 have been ordered so far.
T-50 is supposed to replace legacy Su-27 fleet of which RuAF has around 400 in service so expect the requirement to be around this number.

gadeshi

I would not really go for the number (400)
Su-27 is capable plane, but PAKFA is more technologically advanced and also expensive to buy, use and maintain.. So my guess is that Su-27 will be replaced by a bit lesser nos of Su-35 , Su-30 SM and also say upto 150 PAKFA. , Buying 400 PAKFA is an overkill unless Russia plans to go to war the day that the last unit is delivered.
That would be several 48-piece orders, up to 256 planes in total.
Later will be more to replace all planes on T-10 platform.

StealthFlanker

Country flag
Yes, but several effects depicted in this article are achievable on current AESAs if you'll make fully digital TRMs without DAP/ADP transition, like NIIP did with N036 creating worlds first fully digital AESA (DAESA, or TsAR in Russian :) ).
ROFAR allows dosens of times amplify these results while it works with Tera-Hertz frequencies.

All radar aim to reduce internal noise, the unique selling point of photonics radar is the mode locked laser eliminate the need for up-down convention for high frequency that generates a fair amount of noise. But physics for high and low frequency remain. A photonics radar transmit/receive signal at 10 Mhz will still be much less accurate than one working at 10 Ghz, and there are limit for elements spacing so i don't expect practical photonics radar on fighter to operate in very wide range such as Hz to Ghz

Last edited:

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
12 have been ered so far.
T-50 is supposed to replace legacy Su-27 fleet of which RuAF has around 400 in service so expect the requirement to be around this number.
Russian DM already mentioned that they will replace Su-27 fleet with MIG-35.
Russian economy won't allow them to buy T-50'S in a huge quantities

busesaway

My main reservation with the tender for FGFA is that the additional work should be done on Indian soil, with Russian scientists/engineers moving to India and working among Indians who can learn from their knowledge. I think we need to be able to attain the level of knowledge that Russians have in order to advance technologically to the stage where China are.

Otherwise we will end up being another Saudi Arabia but instead of money we will have debt.

busesaway

I'll throw in my two cents.

If we aren't expecting the aircraft to fly on naval ships, then we should look into some larger aircraft like the Kawasaki P-1, which would be able to aid the coastguard and navy with patrols and also be used as utility/transport support.

A few of these in North India would reduce the need for stationing a large number of navy up there too, reducing the need for unnecessary military expenditure and allowing more centralized planning (i.e. naval defense without using the navy).

While there are positives for developing the FGFA, not least due to the advanced technology and the more varied roles that the fighter can perform, is it not best to wait for the AMCA and order the Tejas instead?

Am I right in thinking that the AMCA and Tejas together can outperform the FGFA. The major downside to the AMCA is that it's more restricted in terms of the roles it can perform, but on the other hand, it can fly from ships.

smestarz

Country flag
True that Su27 T-10 would need to be replaced, but would the replacement be on 1:1 basis? 1 T-50 for each T--10 replaced? Would end up being very very expensive
That would be several 48-piece orders, up to 256 planes in total.
Later will be more to replace all planes on T-10 platform.

smestarz

Country flag
Kawasaki P-1 is similar to Boeing P-8IN which we are operating mainly for naval surveillance
And where as transport is there we already have fleet of C-130J and C-17 Globemaster transport planes.
Its not easy to remove all the modules from a naval surveillance plane and make it into Transport planes., Surely not a job of few hours.

North of India does not need a naval surveillance plane like Kawasaki P-1 it does have C-17 transport planes.

We are not sure how AMCA will go, but I do wish that its primarily developed like a Carrier based Naval plane similar to the lines of F/A-18 Hornet, Each Hornet or Super hornet can take off and land on carrier or land bases. Where are Rafale B or Rafale C are very different than the naval version of Rafale M

I'll throw in my two cents.

If we aren't expecting the aircraft to fly on naval ships, then we should look into some larger aircraft like the Kawasaki P-1, which would be able to aid the coastguard and navy with patrols and also be used as utility/transport support.

A few of these in North India would reduce the need for stationing a large number of navy up there too, reducing the need for unnecessary military expenditure and allowing more centralized planning (i.e. naval defense without using the navy).

While there are positives for developing the FGFA, not least due to the advanced technology and the more varied roles that the fighter can perform, is it not best to wait for the AMCA and order the Tejas instead?

Am I right in thinking that the AMCA and Tejas together can outperform the FGFA. The major downside to the AMCA is that it's more restricted in terms of the roles it can perform, but on the other hand, it can fly from ships.

gadeshi

Russian DM already mentioned that they will replace Su-27 fleet with MIG-35.
Russian economy won't allow them to buy T-50'S in a huge quantities
Where have you found such a tremendous bullshit? :)
MiG-35 is intended for export only cause there is no place for medium fighter in VKS structure.
And of course MiG-35 will not be so cheaper than Su-35S to make such a decision :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles