Suggestion/advice to upgrade old pc

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Hi friends
@Project Dharma @Screambowl @republic_roi97 @SajeevJino

i have searched in local markets

I have got following response.they are ready to following components

1)Intel i5 4 generation(around 15k) /i7 foruth generation(20k to 27k)
2)mother of either asus or gigabyte (they say intep has stooped making motherboard)
3)Ram of kingston.All of them in 2*8 gb config while one is providng in 16 config

due to demonetization drive i donot have cash in hand and all are demanding 2 to 3% on card

Can i buy all this thing online

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Asking geeks about computers :lol:
You,my friend have opened a can of worms. :lol:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Hi friends

2)mother of either asus or gigabyte (they say intep has stooped making motherboard)
3)Ram of kingston.All of them in 2*8 gb config while one is providng in 16 config

due to demonetization drive i donot have cash in hand and all are demanding 2 to 3% on card

Buy products from mdcomputers they are great(personal experience).

Buy core i3 6100(6th gen superfast way better than 4th gen i5)
Asus or msi lga 1151 ddr4 Ram.
Kingston hyperx.
Any good 1 tb hdd.
Corsair 450w psu.
Look for cabinet yourself.

All can be summed up in less than 25k.

DingDong

Country flag
Hi friends

2*8GB will give you slightly better performance compared to 1*16GB. That is because the two DIMMs can be accessed in parallel by the CPU.

4th Generation is dinosaur. Go for 6th generation which offers 30% and upward performance over the 4th generation because of higher memory bandwidth, lower power consumption and better integrated graphics.

But many say that this is a bad time to buy a PC that is because Intel has just released it's Kaby Lake processors for laptops and the desktop CPUs will become available from January 2017. AMD is about to release it's Zen series.

My PC still running on second generation intel requires immediate upgrade, but I have decided to wait.

Amazon seems to be offering the best deals for Computers and Accessories. You can also try mdcomputers.in.

Kingston hyperx.
Any good 1 tb hdd.
Corsair 450w psu.

Did you make the online purchase from mdcomputers? I was bit scared to place order with them although they offer very good price for many components like CPU and Motherboard.

anoop_mig25

Country flag

Kingston hyperx.
Any good 1 tb hdd.
Corsair 450w psu.

I want to install atleast 3/4 vms on it would it work better in i3 series or i should go for i5/i7

anoop_mig25

Country flag
2*8GB will give you slightly better performance compared to 1*16GB. That is because the two DIMMs can be accessed in parallel by the CPU.

4th Generation is dinosaur. Go for 6th generation which offers 30% and upward performance over the 4th generation because of higher memory bandwidth, lower power consumption and better integrated graphics.

But many say that this is a bad time to buy a PC that is because Intel has just released it's Kaby Lake processors for laptops and the desktop CPUs will become available from January 2017. AMD is about to release it's Zen series.

My PC still running on second generation intel requires immediate upgrade, but I have decided to wait.

Amazon seems to be offering the best deals for Computers and Accessories. You can also try mdcomputers.in.

Did you make the online purchase from mdcomputers? I was bit scared to place order with them although they offer very good price for many components like CPU and Motherboard.
what would be good for installing 3/4 vms on it

Wont Kaby Lake series processors would be costlier then current generation of i5/i7 series

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
I want to install atleast 3/4 vms on it would it work better in i3 series or i should go for i5/i7
You can go for i5(more cores performs better if your budget permits as it will bump the cost by another 5000).

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Hi friends

yes you can buy this online. And you can also compare on different websites about the price.

i5 is good, but if you wana save some more bucks then i3 would be good too.

DingDong

Country flag
what would be good for installing 3/4 vms on it

Wont Kaby Lake series processors would be costlier then current generation of i5/i7 series
For as many VMs you mentioned either go for 6th gen i5 (6400 or 6600) or the much costlier i7 (6700). Your VMs will benefit from more number of physical cores, and you will be able to run other programs without experiencing any serious slow-down.

Skylake i5 is sufficient and future proof for next 4-5 years. Very few programs benefit from Hyperthreading hence i7 will be a overkill particularly if you are on tight budget, instead invest in a good motherboard. Choose motherboard with h170 chipset over h110.

I don't think that there will be a significant price difference between Kaby lake and equivalent Skylake processor.

DingDong

Country flag
Finally, bit the bullet :yo:.

Was unsure about whether to purchase a Laptop or a Desktop, but settled with a desktop PC. Ordered the components on amazon, plan to assemble on my own.

Major reason behind the decision was that I really needed a new PC and the Kaby Lake doesn't offer significant improvement.

My Configuration
CPU: i7 6700, even though the CPU was released 14 months ago, this will future proof me for at least 2-3 years to come.

Motherboard
: Asus Z170-K, was originally planning to purchase Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3 but Z170-K has got better components, surge protection and larger number of USB ports. On the downside the motherboard has got bit lower quality audio and network interface compared to the other one.

RAM
: Kingston HyperX Fury 2100mhz Single Rank DDR4 RAM 8 GB, I don't feel like needing 16 GB. Did not go for 2400 mhz or better, because higher latency almost compensates for the higher clock speed.

HDD
: I will scavenge HDD from my old PC. 300GB HDD on my laptop is only half full hence I don't feel like needing to buy a brand new 1 TB internal HDD.

SSD
: Intel 540s 120 GB, this is where my Operating System will sit. Hope to see my OS and IDEs loading blazingly fast.

PSU
: Corsair VS450 450 watt. Peak power consumption of my full set up will be around 90 watt including the monitor, 450 watt felt like a sweet spot and most importantly lower wattage PSU is not readily available.

Discrete GPU
: None for now, I will primarily use this PC for work and I am a Linux user hence my options with PC gaming are rather limited. However, I have my eyes set on GTX 1060.

Planning to buy a Full HD IPS monitor, preferably 22 inch one from local store. Big enough for comfort, small enough to accommodate in my limited workspace.
Planning to buy an ATX cabinet from local store.

@aditya10r @anoop_mig25

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I am a Linux user hence my options with PC gaming are rather limited
How out of the loop are you? If it has been a while since you looked at Linux gaming, I bet you'll be very very surprised.

Linux gaming is actually pretty frickin good because of Steam

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
How out of the loop are you? If it has been a while since you looked at Linux gaming, I bet you'll be very very surprised.

Linux gaming is actually pretty frickin good because of Steam
Btw what will you recommend ps4 or Xbox one?????

I am a big time halo and forza fan

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag

I don't play either of those games and I'm a PC gamer but I was talking to a friend yesterday who has both consoles and he recommended the PS4 for graphics quality and xbox for overall experience and HTPC functionality.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!

I've never understood the craze for Halo, I tried to force myself to like it, couldn't do it. Kya kya papad bele, first I installed an emulator, then played Halo on it. The storyline just feels uninspiring. Any Borderlands fans here?

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
I've never understood the craze for Halo, I tried to force myself to like it, couldn't do it. Kya kya papad bele, first I installed an emulator, then played Halo on it. The storyline just feels uninspiring. Any Borderlands fans here?
Did you say halo's story is uninspiring.

Play the first 3 halo's.the Bungie ones.

The 343 industry ones are mess

republic_roi97

Country flag
Did you say halo's story is uninspiring.

Play the first 3 halo's.the Bungie ones.

The 343 industry ones are mess
I've never played HALO myself, but would definitely give it a go, although I don't have a XBOX or a PS4, but I'll figure a way through emulator. Personally, I am a big fan of Battlefield series and not so much into COD.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles