Suggestion/advice to upgrade old pc

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Hi friends

Want to upgarde my old Desktop PC.I need your advice on hardware and sw upgrade.I would only upgrading my CPU as mointor,keyboard and mouse are working fine.My old harware configuration is as follows

1)processor : intel core2 duo
2)Intel motherboard
3)2 gb ram ddr2
4)250GB seagate harddisk
5)DVD -RW DL sony
6)It also had video/graphaic card of nvedia but it didn`t use my PC for gaming

Keyboard and mouse where of microsoft , i doubt i have there sw/cd.can i use them on new upgraded cpu or i require there sw/cd

only thing i knew is that i am going use 12gb of ram.plus hardidsk capacity of 500GB or may me more(kindly advice)

also want to add wifi and bluetooth finctionality in my upgarded PC.

so please advice from both hardware and software point.I mean which product of which company.

I cannot buy laptop as PC is also used by my parents.

Does i require installtion cd/sw of old keyboard/mouse/spekaers so as to be able to use in new upgraded PC

Nu budget is around 15K to 20k

Note : can i add/use old harddisk with new harddisk attched in new/upgraded cpu as i want those files/folders at present in old harddisk ?

Thanks

I am otm shank

get an external hard drive. 2 tb at least if you used your comp for media or gaming

gokussj9

Country flag
Your best bet would be to get a Q6600/8400 and a GTX 750 Ti. Both these upgrades should cost you less than 12K.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
get i series of processor.. .. keep i5 or i3 second generation. i7 gets warm and has heating problem.

SANITY

Might help people to explain the reason you want to upgrade. What's the problem you are facing in running your Desktop? What are the improvements you are seeking in your desktop? Are you upgrading for gaming purposes? It might be better to sell your old desktop and buy a new one. Which model desktop do you have?

i3 isn't really good. i5 and i7 are better.

Last edited:

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Hi everbody thanks for reply suddenly everyone posted here

get an external hard drive. 2 tb at least if you used your comp for media or gaming
Your best bet would be to get a Q6600/8400 and a GTX 750 Ti. Both these upgrades should cost you less than 12K.
Are you going to game? If not, cheap CPU recommendation:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH3Z96302

CPU onboard graphics should be good enough

Cheap mobo:

https://amzn.com/B0165YUDTM

Get a 256 GB SSD for the system and 1TB regular hard drive

You should be able to mount your old hard drive as well but consider buying a USB adapter for it and then copying your old data once you reinstall the OS
get i series of processor.. .. keep i5 or i3 second generation. i7 gets warm and has heating problem.
Might help people to explain the reason you want to upgrade. What's the problem you are facing in running your Desktop? What are the improvements you are seeking in your desktop? Are you upgrading for gaming purposes? It might be better to sell your old desktop and buy a new one. Which model desktop do you have?

i3 isn't really good. i5 and i7 are better.

Ok now my an not hardcore gamere here so i am not going to use new upgraded pc for gaming purpose

It would be strickly used for official/learning purpose .Would be installing VM on top newly upgraded PC ( i.e servers/vm stuffs)

so kindly suggest suitable configurations

republic_roi97

Country flag

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Hi everbody thanks for reply suddenly everyone posted here

Ok now my an not hardcore gamere here so i am not going to use new upgraded pc for gaming purpose

It would be strickly used for official/learning purpose .Would be installing VM on top newly upgraded PC ( i.e servers/vm stuffs)

so kindly suggest suitable configurations
For running VMs recommend an i5, i7 is better because it has hyperthreading. Also 16gb of RAM. Rest of my recommendations stay the same.

republic_roi97

Country flag
You need to have a good budget for having a VM machine. In 15000, you'll just get an i5 and nothing else.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
You need to have a good budget for having a VM machine. In 15000, you'll just get an i5 and nothing else.
I mean not necessarily, depends on how many vms even the cheap dual core processor will run one or two vms fine. I still run two VMs on my old core 2 duo. But yeah if the VMs are heavy or there are a lot then you need more cores.

republic_roi97

Country flag
I mean not necessarily, depends on how many vms even the cheap dual core processor will run one or two vms fine. I still run two VMs on my old core 2 duo. But yeah if the VMs are heavy or there are a lot then you need more cores.
Yeah that is one thing, but atleast an i5 based machine would be the least that I would recommend him if he is gonna get into more of the technical stuff. But if his requirements are not that high, yeah, he can go with a quad core AMD Phenom II processor with plenty of RAM and a little overclock and he'll be more than fine to run 2-3 systems with decent performance.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
yeah put i5 processor or i3. It's fast and new technology. If you are spending not good but fair amount of money then get the latest technology.

I could have suggested you to install i7 but then its expensive and then not for average purpose. Plus there is heating problem beyond i5.

AMD is good, but the phenom ii x4 965 desktop based costs around 9-10K and got just 2MB cache where as i3 6th gen has 4mb cache. better to go for intel i3 sixth gen. costs only 8k. And intel is more resistant to heat.

Last edited:

republic_roi97

Country flag
yeah put i5 processor or i3. It's fast and new technology. If you are spending not good but fair amount of money then get the latest technology.

I could have suggested you to install i7 but then its expensive and then not for average purpose. Plus there is heating problem beyond i5.

AMD is good, but the phenom ii x4 965 desktop based costs around 9-10K and got just 2MB cache where as i3 6th gen has 4mb cache. better to go for intel i3 sixth gen. costs only 8k. And intel is more resistant to heat.
Well actually his budget is low, and he might just be abke to find an unlocked phenom ii x2 555 black edition with mobo and RAM under 7000-8000 INR, otherwise I am a dir hard Intel fan, Intel Zindabad. If he can have i3 6th gen or i5 with everything else new, I would definitely recommend.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Well actually his budget is low, and he might just be abke to find an unlocked phenom ii x2 555 black edition with mobo and RAM under 7000-8000 INR, otherwise I am a dir hard Intel fan, Intel Zindabad. If he can have i3 6th gen or i5 with everything else new, I would definitely recommend.
555 has just 1mb of cache..

in that case he can go for it ... its arnd 5000 i guess

pmaitra

I have a suggestion that involves three steps:
  1. Back your computer data up.
  2. Buy a new computer.
  3. Throw your old computer away.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Get an
AMD A4-4020 3.2 GHZ :-
http://www.amazon.in/AMD-FM2-A4-3-2...scsubtag=a1618f65-4242-4393-acd3-cee91fd2a76b

Asus A68HM-K motherboard:-
http://www.amazon.in/Asus-A68HM-K-S...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0EFQ3V6XH4NK6EG2CRGE

Add an 8 GB DDR3 RAM and it should cost not more than 8000-9000 INR and you wouldn't need an external GPU for casual gaming. The rest of the money can be put on buying a better HDD or an external hdd.
For running VMs recommend an i5, i7 is better because it has hyperthreading. Also 16gb of RAM. Rest of my recommendations stay the same.
Yeah that is one thing, but atleast an i5 based machine would be the least that I would recommend him if he is gonna get into more of the technical stuff. But if his requirements are not that high, yeah, he can go with a quad core AMD Phenom II processor with plenty of RAM and a little overclock and he'll be more than fine to run 2-3 systems with decent performance.

Hi friends thanks for reply was busy so could not read

Kindly provide consodliated list of ware which are comptabile with each other so that i can shop for them like which mother would be compatabile with RAM and processor , HD or SSD

I would like to 3to 4VM on new machine so what would be better configuration

I have a suggestion that involves three steps:

Back your computer data up.
Buy a new computer.
Throw your old computer away.

Well that would eventually happen anyway

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Post your Budget bro.. then only we can came into an conclusion

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Hi friends thanks for reply was busy so could not read

Kindly provide consodliated list of ware which are comptabile with each other so that i can shop for them like which mother would be compatabile with RAM and processor , HD or SSD

I would like to 3to 4VM on new machine so what would be better configuration

Well that would eventually happen anyway
Checkout http://pcpartpicker.com/list/94Bj2R should be in your budget

I'd suggest upgrading to 16GB of RAM which will leave you at the high end of your budget (or maybe slightly over). If you can up your budget, then I'd also suggest adding an SSD for the OS partition.

SANITY

Remember that you will need 64 bit OS to make full use of RAM above 4 GB. 32 bit OS limit the use of RAM to 4GB.

also want to add wifi and bluetooth finctionality in my upgarded PC.
You can get wifi and bluetooth functionality by getting wireless usb adapter, comes cheap.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles