Sudan President accepts South's secession vote Africa's largest country set to split

Blackwater

Sudan's president today accepted a southern vote for independence in a referendum that is set to create Africa's newest state and open up a fresh period of uncertainty in the increasingly volatile region.

Final results from the plebiscite are due soon but preliminary figures show 98.83 per cent of voters from Sudan's oil-producing south chose to secede from the north. Sudan is now expected to split in two on July 9.

"Today we received these results and we accept and welcome these results because they represent the will of the southern people," Bashir said in an address on state TV.

The referendum is the climax of a 2005 north-south peace deal that set out to end Africa's longest civil war, reunite the divided country and instil democracy in a land that straddles the continent's Arab-sub Saharan divide.

Bashir's comments allayed fears that the split could reignite conflict over the control of the south's oil reserves. South Sudan's leader Salva Kiir added to the conciliatory mood by promising he would help Khartoum campaign for the forgiveness of the country's crippling debts and the easing of international trade sanctions in coming months.

Kiir praised Bashir for accepting the result. "President Bashir and (Bashir's northern) National Congress Party deserve a reward," he told a meeting of Sudan's cabinet in Khartoum broadcast on state TV.

Both sides did avoid major outbreaks of violence over the past five years. But they failed to overcome decades of deep mutual distrust to persuade southerners to embrace unity.

Hundreds of people started gathering in the blistering heat of the southern capital Juba on Monday to celebrate the results. "Today I don't fear war anymore, it is the past ... Our leaders have made friends with the north, but for me, I can never forgive them for what I have seen. I don't hate them now, but I never want to see them again," said Riak Maker, 29, as men drummed and women ululated around him.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110208/world.htm#4

Blackwater

What next pakizzzzstan , Insha Alaah ,May Alaah show us this mubarak day, Amin.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
What next pakizzzzstan , Insha Alaah ,May Alaah show us this mubarak day, Amin.
BTW there are talks going on some forums that I operate as a guest in about "If Sudan then why not Kashmir". :lol: Take a guess.

pmaitra

BTW there are talks going on some forums that I operate as a guest in about "If Sudan then why not Kashmir". :lol: Take a guess.
Must be some Pakistani Fora. Well, you can remind them of Balochistan and Pakhtoonistan.

Blackwater

you r talking of PDF. kashmir is already divided. Bache ki jaan loge

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles