Successful Test of Mumbai Monorail System

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Well what i read in todays indian express , they are not going to add new lines in mono-rail. said allthough whether this monorail would be sucessful. also there is better planning in delhi like mono acting as a feeder service to metro while i mumbai it doen`t look mono is going to act as feeder to even local trains here

None of metro corridor is operational here . And news is that second one corridor is already scrapped.

ll money is begin spent(/lost) to mneraj and others corruption ridden scheme

Last edited:

JAISWAL

Is mumbai monorail for ladies only? I mean PINK??? Pink seats :D
no , the color coding is based on their operational route, similar to Delhi metro, here in this pic you can see three proposed color code. . .

But i do agree ... Pink looks kind of weird

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Welcome to the club Mumbai! Feel good investment which really feels good.

balai_c

I hate to be a buzzkill, but can anyone tell me what kind of passanger traffic this monorail can handle in one go? Considering mumbai's population density, should'nt large mass transit system like metro have been preferred? E ven delhi metro had huge teething issues because of narrower gauge.

Just an opinion, always willing to be correcred.

cir

It is a complete waste of time and limited urban spaces building monorail in a heavily populated city that Mumbai is。

Monorail is for local community rides, not backbone city-wide transports.

Phenom

Atleast do some google search before commenting, this is not intended to be backbone of commuter transport in the city. Mumbai already has a massive suburban network and in addition metro is also being built.

iirc local trains would continue to be the primary mode, followed by metro and then mono.

venkat

I dont think a full fledged metro is possible due to congestion and lack of space....thats why this short cut....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It is a complete waste of time and limited urban spaces building monorail in a heavily populated city that Mumbai is。

Monorail is for local community rides, not backbone city-wide transports.
Mumbai Suburban train is its backbone and life line. Mini rail is only acting as a feeder or at best complimenting it. Mumbai is also making metro rail.

panduranghari

Poor decision making at its best. As a person who has lived in various metropolitan areas around the world and witnessed urban transportation in various corners of the world, this is like using a stick to split the water. I have lived for few years in Mumbai with regular commuting from Western Suburbs to Kurla, Churchgate and VT, I did this almost daily for 5 years.

Mumbai is trying a resolution which is best suited for Dubai. A fancy showcase system that makes very little dent to the root causes of issue, classic case of bureaucrats and politicians who have no idea what they are doing.

Instead of strengthening the existing local railways and road systems, which would have required tough decision making, Mumbai will be stuck with low impact, high cost mono rail system. I really feel bad for the average commuter, for a 8hour workday, on average he/she spends 3-4 hrs just for commuting. The time which would be well spent in constructive GDP growth, is just being wasted. Mumbai looses billion of dollars in man hours, just because of poor planning and lack of vision from politicians and bureaucrats.

I would really love to hear from present day residents from Mumbai.

Uxor
Not a present resident but lived there for 25 years.

The best way forward is connecting central and western line by alternative modes of transport. Monorail may be great way. Underground metro could be tricky in low lying Sion, matunga, cotton green. As most businesses are located in the Fort, they should move them to Navi Mumbai. Unless businesses dont move infrastructure wont move with them. All things in mumbai( whatever permitted by central govt) are geared towards south Mumbai- transport, electricity, conservation efforts.

I would also make dedicated bus lanes increasing frequency of buses. The imposition of traffic rules can never work as the chief RTO in Thane earns at least 5 lakhsdaily as bribes. My uncle who happens to be the collector of Mumbai is offered bribes of at least 30 crores( YES you read it right) daily. The people just assume everyone can be bought by money.

Mumbai is for India the hen that lays the golden egg. The apple cart cannot be upset too much or the hen will die. Common man- who cares about him. They can be easily replaced by cheap labour from UP-Bihar.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I hate to be a buzzkill, but can anyone tell me what kind of passanger traffic this monorail can handle in one go? Considering mumbai's population density, should'nt large mass transit system like metro have been preferred? E ven delhi metro had huge teething issues because of narrower gauge.

Just an opinion, always willing to be correcred.
Each rake of 4 cars is designed to carry 600 people, however the final design is for trains with 6 cars each.
Two of my college mates from engineering college are with Louis Berger inc.(consultant for the Mumbai monorail) in business development and the casting yard for the concrete beams.
some pics courtesy them

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
And why does china come into this thread? Is it a comparison thread? India knows it lacks big time in infra and is doing whatever it takes to rectify that.

SLASH

This monorail is in the wadala, matunga and parel region. It is less populated compared to other areas of the city. MMRDA (state authority) want to sell Wadala as the next BKC. For this reason they are building this monorail. There is also a metro stop proposed at wadala. The eastern freeway and expressway also meet at Wadala. ATM this is the best bet for developers.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Mumbai gets monorail this
Sunday: 10-point cheatsheet

Mumbai: Starting Sunday, Mumbai will become the first city in India to use a monorail. The major new addition to the city's public transport system will be inaugurated on Saturday and made available for public use the next day. Just a few weeks ago, the new international terminal of the Mumbai airport was made operational. The Maharashtra government, which is up for re- election later this year, is ensuring that big new facilities are made available before the national election, due by May.
HERE IS YOUR 10-POINT CHEAT-SHEET TO THE MUMBAI MONO-RAIL:
1. The part that opens on Sunday is 8.93 km long. 2. It will run between Wadala and Chembur in the eastern fringes of Mumbai. 3. The monorail will be linked to major local train stations. So the station at Chembur is connected with a skywalk to the monorail station near it. 4. To start with, the monorail will run every 15 minutes between 7 am and 3 pm. 5. When the entire monorail project is completed, it will be 20 km long and connect Jacob Circle in south Mumbai to Chembur in eastern Mumbai. 6. All coaches of the monorail trains are air-conditioned; each train will carry 560 passengers. 7. Tickets are priced between Rs. 5 and Rs. 11 with six stations on the way. 8. There will no monthly passes like the ones on Mumbai's lifeline, the local trains, but there will be a system of smart cards. 9. Construction began in 2009; the project is running almost two years behind schedule. 10. At its fastest, the monorail will run at 80 kilometres per hour (50 mph); the average speed is set at 65 kilometres per hour (40 mph).

Mumbai gets monorail this Sunday: 10-point cheatsheet | NDTV.com

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
2 years behind schedule? What a colossal failure. Arrest those responsible and throw them in prison for 5 years. Indians need danda rule to get in line and improve efficiency. Mumbai Metro is also delayed. Pathetic government of idiots and lazy scum.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
2 years behind schedule? What a colossal failure. Arrest those responsible and throw them in prison for 5 years. Indians need danda rule to get in line and improve efficiency. Mumbai Metro is also delayed. Pathetic government of idiots and lazy scum.

This kind of project is first in India so delays are normal. Based on the experience of this project the next ones of similar kind will be done quickly.

tramp

I find the plain Jane station designs a real put off for a futuristic service like the monorail. The stations need to have a closed design template considering worsening security environment. In fact the entire Indian Railways should move towards enclosed station spaces for security reasons.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles