Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2prada

No 31 squadron, Halwara AFS.

"Shatru Chhidrey Prahret" or "A Kill With Every Blow."

Looks like they recently got their new MKIs. It is a squadron dedicated for Ground attack. That's why their motto is like that.

average american

If memory serves me right the SU30 has only shot down 3 planes,,,,more or less...two unarmed cessnasn over cuba and unarmed drone over Georgia. The biggest problem with the SU30 is they seem to have a little Mig 21 in them..
India Battles Russia Over Quality Control
Next Article → NAVAL AIR: Robotic Little Bird Goes To Sea

August 21, 2012: India has made public yet another complaint about the Su-30 fighters it buys from Russia. This time it's an unspecified "design flaw" in the electronic flight control system for the aircraft. This bit of information was made public because India has found that more discreet communications about these matters results in little or no action from the Russians. For example, India has been pressuring Russia for several years to do something about component failures in the Russian designed AL-31 engines that power the Indian Su-30MKI jet fighters. There have been several AL-31 failures because of this in both Indian and Russian Su-30s.
There are currently two Russian engines being built for recent fighter aircraft designs. The $3.5 million AL-31 (for the Su-27/30 and the Chinese J-11 and J-10) and the $2.5 million RD-33/93 for the MiG-29 and the Chinese JF-17 (a F-16 type aircraft developed in cooperation with Pakistan). India already assembles the AL-31 engine for the Su-30 and simpler engines for the older MiG-21 and MiG-27. The assembly process is exacting and India has created thousands of technicians and engineers with valuable experience working on these engines.

So far, India has not been able to develop the technology to manufacture core components (that deal with very high pressures and temperatures) and buys these components from Russia. It is some of these components that are failing and India is telling the Russians that the problem must be fixed, soon, or Russia will lose more export sales.

India also does maintenance on all the engines it builds but really wants to manufacture and assemble the most modern engines completely within India. Russia has been reluctant to export the high-end technology needed to manufacture key jet engine components. Meanwhile, Indian personnel maintaining the AL-31 engines have made it clear that there is a growing component quality problem. It's gotten so bad that the Indian prime minister raised the issue during a visit to Russia. A related issue was the exorbitant prices Russia is demanding for upgrades to the Su-30. Indian engineers have enough experience with aircraft, and the Su-30, to know they are being gouged by the Russians. Moreover, as part of the sales contract, India is not allowed to get upgrades elsewhere without permission from the Russian manufacturer.

India buys bare bones fighters from Russia and equips these Su-30MKIs with Israeli sensors and communications gear. India has about two hundred Su-30MKIs in service and is building about one a month under license. India bought fifty in the late 1990s, and additional batches of 40 or so since. India wants to have nearly 300 within three years, partly because of the increasing threat of invasion by China. The first 18 Su-30s India received from Russia have been retired after a decade of service. In many respects, the Indian made Su-30s, the Su-30MKI, is the most capable version available, due to its Israeli and European electronics and the well trained Indian pilots.

The 38 ton SU-30MKI is most similar to the two seat American F-15E fighter-bomber.

p2prada

Haha! Super stealthy Flanker. Now that will be something to see.

arya

Country flag
is our su30 capable to enter in china and come back safe ??

is our su 30 mki is capable against pakistani f16

pls share some useful information

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
SU-35BM.. is second most sophisticated flanker ..

Though PAK-FA can also be consider first of Stealth flankers and most advance..

p2prada

You got your answer defcon.

Btw, the Flanker has nothing to do with PAKFA except for some resemblance. This is quite similar to the F-15 Raptor resemblance.

You can say PAKFA is closer to YF-23 in resemblance than the Flanker from the front and a little from the sides.

average american

@P2P, in an other post, I read you mentioning that MKI is the second most advanced version of the flanker. Can you please tell me which is the most advanced one? I googled and found this amazing article about MK3. I don't think we have these birds

Indian made superior Sukhoi MK3 - Defense Technology & Military Forum
I would not be too impressed by the Red Flag 2004 exercises of the SU 30 against the F15,,, if I remember right Indian out numbered the F15 three to one,, and The F-15 is 1972 vintage. The Su-30 came out in 1989. I wouldn't expect a Soviet fighter of the same year to stand up to one of ours, but technology changes a lot if you look in 15+ year intervals.

p2prada

I would not be too impressed by the Red Flag 2004 exercises of the SU 30 against the F15,,, if I remember right Indian out numbered the F15 three to one,, and The F-15 is 1972 vintage. The Su-30 came out in 1989. I wouldn't expect a Soviet fighter of the same year to stand up to one of ours, but technology changes a lot if you look in 15+ year intervals.
Ignorance is bliss they say.

Firstly, it wasn't Red Flag 2004. Red Flag is conducted in the US, Nellis AFB, Nevada. The only Red Flag IAF has been to is in 2008 and we supposedly kicked a**. We are coming back in 2013.

In 2004, it was Cope India and was conducted at Gwalior AFS, UP.

In 2004 the most advanced aircraft that participated in the exercises was the F-15C, USAF. The USAF regularly conduct missions with a similar profile where the enemy is coming in with a strike package and the USAF is expected to repel the enemy strike force.

The IAF aircraft were 2 Su-30 and 10 other aircraft with combinations of Mig-21, Mirage-2000, Mig-29 and Mig-27(strike). The Americans were actually outnumbered 2:1 and that too by inferior aircraft from the 60s and 70s vintage. Similar models that the Israelis whooped in their wars. More importantly, the Israelis were outnumbered by a much larger margin and not just by 2 or 3 times.

The Su-30 is actually a ground attack aircraft and while it came out much later, it was still the same tech base as the F-15. Quite like the difference between a F-15C and F-15E. More importantly, the Su-30 had nothing on it. It was the old K version and the Russians had delivered only 10 for learning experience. The radar was hopelessly old and inferior compared to the F-15s APG-63 and the F-15s carried superior weapons like the Aim-120C5 compared to the Su-30s old RVV-AE. The Mirages had the ancient Super 530D which is extinct now. So, now you understand the F-15s were the best of the lot during the exercise.

So regardless, you know the result.

It is like sports. A team that practices a lot will play well. A no name team will not. The US is yet to fight an enemy that is equally powerful, or even reasonably powerful. There is no point bragging about winning against a weak team.

average american

Ignorance is bliss they say.

Firstly, it wasn't Red Flag 2004. Red Flag is conducted in the US, Nellis AFB, Nevada. The only Red Flag IAF has been to is in 2008 and we supposedly kicked a**. We are coming back in 2013.

In 2004, it was Cope India and was conducted at Gwalior AFS, UP.

In 2004 the most advanced aircraft that participated in the exercises was the F-15C, USAF. The USAF regularly conduct missions with a similar profile where the enemy is coming in with a strike package and the USAF is expected to repel the enemy strike force.

The IAF aircraft were 2 Su-30 and 10 other aircraft with combinations of Mig-21, Mirage-2000, Mig-29 and Mig-27(strike). The Americans were actually outnumbered 2:1 and that too by inferior aircraft from the 60s and 70s vintage. Similar models that the Israelis whooped in their wars. More importantly, the Israelis were outnumbered by a much larger margin and not just by 2 or 3 times.

The Su-30 is actually a ground attack aircraft and while it came out much later, it was still the same tech base as the F-15. Quite like the difference between a F-15C and F-15E. More importantly, the Su-30 had nothing on it. It was the old K version and the Russians had delivered only 10 for learning experience. The radar was hopelessly old and inferior compared to the F-15s APG-63 and the F-15s carried superior weapons like the Aim-120C5 compared to the Su-30s old RVV-AE. The Mirages had the ancient Super 530D which is extinct now. So, now you understand the F-15s were the best of the lot during the exercise.

So regardless, you know the result.

It is like sports. A team that practices a lot will play well. A no name team will not. The US is yet to fight an enemy that is equally powerful, or even reasonably powerful. There is no point bragging about winning against a weak team.
I never seen so many excuses even when you have supposed to have won.

War is not a sport, your there to kill your enemy if and there is a saying in the US Air Force If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.
- David Hackworth Matter of fact all the US military goes by that.

p2prada

I never seen so many excuses even when you have supposed to have won.

War is not a sport, your there to kill your enemy if and there is a saying in the US Air Force If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.
- David Hackworth Matter of fact all the US military goes by that.
Then you should have explained that to the North Vietnamese...

You haven't seen actual numbers that the US actually goes up against.

Heard of Red and Blue teams and the numbers on each. Red aggressor squadrons are always outnumbered by two or three times. It is the norm.

It was nothing different to what USAF was already used to. It is actually the same everywhere. The strike package is two or three times bigger than the defending force.

average american

Vietnam was just a battle and we did not lose from a military standpoint and in the war against communism we won they lost. To my the best of my knowledge the SU30 has shot down two unarmed cessnas over Cuba and an unarmed drone over Georgia. Why build them if your scared of useing them.

p2prada

Vietnam was just a battle and we did not lose from a military standpoint and in the war against communism we won they lost. To my the best of my knowledge the SU30 has shot down two unarmed cessnas over Cuba and an unarmed drone over Georgia. Why build them if your scared of useing them.
Haha! Ok. Whatever makes you happy. Cheers.

Defcon 1

Country flag
You sound insanely stupid here. By that definition, you should also not build F22 as they haven't been used as well. About Vietnam war, everyone knows history. Also, I have read at a few places that Sukhois were not allowed to use their radars at cope India in order to hide their signatures.

Coming back to topic. The articles say that Su30 MK3 will be Indian made. Is it referring to the 42 super sukhois that India is supposed to receive later, or is this some entirely new development? I couldn't find any nation operating Mk3

Kesang

Actually. That was mig-29 which shot down cessnas. Cuba does not operate any su-30.

BTW. Su-27 shot down two eriterian mig-29 without any loss.

Last edited:

average american

Has the SU 30 ever shot down anything. Lot of weapons look good but are a disaster when it comes to actual combat.

Bheeshma

US has never gone into battle without 10:1 numerical superiority. So their kill ratios are meaningless. Fact is they lost badly in vietnam. Needed 48 nations to invade iraq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles