Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
They died making sure that the crash happens at safe place so no civilian casualty:

The Hindu News Update Service

According to Defence PRO Lt Col N N Joshi, the crash took place around 10.20 hours about 70 km southeast of here near Rajmathai-Hariyasar village in Rajasthan when the two pilots flew out the aircraft on a routine sortie.
Within a few minutes of taking off, the pilots reported trouble in the aircraft and both ejected out of the cockpit, after directing the aircraft on to a vacant agricultural land.
But both pilots suffered serious injuries and were rushed by an IAF rescue team to a nearby military hospital, sources said.
:(

A.V.

A very shocking news indeed. I did not expect something like this to happen especially to any of the Pune based aircraft since they have a very disciplined check-up structure. Sad to hear that Nara sir couldn't make it.
vayusena can you please let us know whether the planes based on pune are the russian made or its made by HAL?
are there any structural or functional differences when you fly two different makes?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
ToI reported that Late Wg Cdr PS Nara was not qualified to be on MKIs, can you shed some light here VayuSena1 sir ?

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Skrew the Russians. Their quality sucks. Onemore reason not to select Mig-35 for MMRCA

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Skrew the Russians. Their quality sucks. Onemore reason not to select Mig-35 for MMRCA
Too insane comment, MKI's are flying from long time this is the first accident. Do western planes never crashed in the history or what?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
A very shocking news indeed. I did not expect something like this to happen especially to any of the Pune based aircraft since they have a very disciplined check-up structure. Sad to hear that Nara sir couldn't make it.
DDM alret:

Hindustan Times is saying that late Nara sir was not qualified MKI pilot he was qualified for MiG21. This they are saying as one of the reason for crash.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
why the navigator died? russian are known to make world best ejection seats even better than us?
that what happened to that crap?
chau
When ejecting from A/Cs, depending on the altitude, velocity etc, ejected pilot/navigator can experience any of the following injuries (and sometimes death as a result)

Sl No. Cause Injury

(a)Ejection Seat 'G' forces Spinal compression fracture

(b)Fouling with seat/cockpit Structure Extremity fractures/dislocations

(c)Impact with canopy structure Severe laceration Neck straining and cervical spinal fracture

(d)Windblast Petechial, retinal and conjunctival Hemorrhage

(e)Flail & Wind drag deceleration Fractures Dislocation/disarticulation of extremities Internal injuries to organs Head injury/LOC Subdural hematoma

(f)Parachute opening shock Cervical strain/vertebral dislocation fracture

(g)Riser Strap Facial injuries-Concussion, Contusions & Lacerations.

Recent Advances & Current Concepts In Ejection Seat Design

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I have read on Readers Digest a few years back that Ejection is the hardest thing to do, a Normal Pilot cannot eject more than twice in his lifetime, as it will affect him Physically. Its a horrible feeling to be ejected too i read.

Seriously, a very sad Incident, but this is not the time to blame the Russians, or HAL or who not! This type of Mentality got to change. The Pilots flying in our Airforce are Brave Souls, who face many a danger yet keep going. Its not childs play to fly a plane like the MKI, and please dont start the blame game.

An Aircraft is a Wonder of Science, for a layman its a Miracle to see a metal behemoth soar in the sky, Its natural for an Aircraft to crash, because its made by Humans and we all know We Humans are not Perfect, but more than loss of an Aircraft or Face, its the loss of a Life, Precious Life, with many other Lives revolving around it, that we need to be sensitive to. God Speed.

ZOOM

Founding Member
SU-30MKI is a Formidable Symbol of India's Growing Military and one of the finest fighter of the world. Crash of jet like MKI which is known for extensive maintanance meant for its regular servicing definetly raise a question mark over our Ground Handling system. Tragically, I don't care about the MKI, no matter how formidable is it in the world, it can be replaced and we can field twice number of planned squadran comprised MKIs and once again make an constant effort to upgrade our servicing system to avoid any such mishap.

What I feel ashmed is lose of our Brave Pilots who is designated as a Wing Commander having an extensive experience of flying advance jet and protecting the sky's our country. We certainly simply and simply cannot replace such pilot with new one as MKI. My sympthy and tribute to such a brave pilot who lost his life for serving and protecting the sky's of this nation.

Now, let me come to the technical point of view. As far as mishap and subsequent lost of Pilot is concerned, it is more then cleared that MKI was flying at very low height. Since any Jet fighter in the world especially havey class jets like F-15s and F-18 do experience a problem while flying at very low height and hence we cannot held MKI an exception to it, no matter how advanced it is. In fact, MKI was returning to its base from successful bombing run on Pokhern and hence pre-flight servicing has very little chance to be held them for such mishap. At very low height, often massive dragged created on airframe and hence it subsequently turned into creation of error in subsystem of fighter jet. So Pilot error can also be factor in under such circumstances given despite fully aware that having a flight at very low height has its own limitations.

To conclude my opinion, I would like to add that we need to outsource or fetch the help of some European and US alongwith Russian technical teams to uncover the actual truth. Since even if court of inquiry has been ordered, I feel it is highly unlikely that we ever know the actual truth given our repeated failure of stopping such mishaps.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Too insane comment, MKI's are flying from long time this is the first accident. Do western planes never crashed in the history or what?
If we see most of the fighter accidents in west take place during testing phase while Russians tends to have accidents at all phases.
In context with this crash either IAF is at fault or the quality sucks.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
If we see most of the fighter accidents in west take place during testing phase while Russians tends to have accidents at all phases.
Was the Raptor being Tested? What about the F16s? It is true the Russians faced a really bad time after the Fall of the Soviet Union and it Showed on our Airforce which was hardpressed for spares, but We shouldnt write them off, because the MKI is as good a fighter as any in its class. We dont know what happened really, till we know what happened, we should not assume and call names.

Pintu

I am totally agree with Ahmedji, dear DS, we are all human beings , and all human beings can not be perfect, that's why the flying machines crashes, it happens not only in India, Russia but entire world, previously we have mourned the loss of the great sons in crash of Saras , and Airawaat, ultimately the loss of life it agonies us, human life is priceless, in an accident in 10 years , for that we can not write off MKIs .

Regards

Stargazer

The last few lines of this article reads...:"His maternal grandfather was legendary actor Chandrakant Gokhale, who used to save money to donate to the Army. Even in his eighties he preferred walking to save on rickshaw fare and donate to the Army. “My father was proud when Siddharth joined the Air Force,”"

Wow......it's great to know that we had people like Chandrakant Gokhale in a country where even the pension issue is not being sorted out but instead made into a Poll issue .

VayuSena1

Professional
ToI reported that Late Wg Cdr PS Nara was not qualified to be on MKIs, can you shed some light here VayuSena1 sir ?
Hmm... I cannot say much on this regard because frankly speaking I don't keep a track of how capable are the pilots senior to me and in other squadrons. Considering that Wg. Cdr. Nara is a senior officer, I assume that he was well trained to go through ejection procedures.

What I feel is that it was Wg. Cdr. Munje who ejected first who happened to be the pilot. Normally this is not what is the procedure in tandem seated fighters where the rear seated navigator/weapon systems officer ejects first due to the force of the rocket boosters of ejection seat of the front-seated pilot. Though the news says that his parachute had not opened and he fell to his his death. These two theories can be interconnected as well.

Let us see what we have in store for what happened.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
It high time we value a human life over some equipment. It feels bad when a pilot die due to technical problem or due to bad quality. That person has a family and an apology won't get that person back.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Do you know when F 16 was inducted it had a reputation of known as "widow maker" remember the recent F 22 crash where the pilot died? Crash happens in any plane at any time.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It high time we value a human life over some equipment. It feels bad when a pilot die due to technical problem or due to bad quality. That person has a family and an apology won't get that person back.
Human life is always on the highest priority but sometimes things don't go as they are planned. It is sad to loose a pilot.

Country flag
India grounds Sukhoi 30 fighters after crash _English_Xinhua

India grounds Sukhoi 30 fighters after crash
English_Xinhua 2009-05-02 19:50:59

NEW DELHI, May 2 (Xinhua) -- India has grounded its premier front line fighter planes, the Sukhoi 30 MKIs, following Thursday's crash of a fighter of this kind, local media reported Saturday.

The fighters will remain grounded till conclusive evidence is found in the crash which occurred in Jaisalmer town of Rajasthan, in west India, said a report of the Hindi daily Dainik Bhaskar.

In that accident, India lost one of its best pilots Wing Commander P.S. Narah.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is now investigating all the three squadrons of the Sukhoi-30 fighter planes in the country.

Besides the cause of the crash, the Air Forces authorities are worried about the failure of parachutes.

In this case, Wing Commander P.S. Narah did manage to eject the parachute but it failed to open. Wing Commander S. V. Munje suffered serious injuries but survived.

Both pilots had good experience in flying fighter aircraft and hence the exact reason behind the crash would be known only after the inquiry report was finished, said the report.

Unidentified sources told the paper that the two pilots on boards had sent an alert as soon as they lost control over the aircraft, so the Air Force feared technical snag behind the cause.

Sukhoi 30 MKI is an air superiority fighter which can also act as a multi-role strike fighter. The first Russian-made Su-30MKI variant was integrated into the IAF in 2002

This is news all countries do the same thing after crashes???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles