Strategic Culture in India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by SamwiseTheBrave, May 1, 2013.

1. SamwiseTheBrave

SamwiseTheBrave Regular Member

Of late one reads and hears a lot that India, as a nation, lacks "strategic culture" (leave aside Chanakya for a moment) in its societal character - not withstanding the numerous events which occur regularly - the most recent one being the PLA Ladakh incursion. This was one of the main reasons why i signed up for DFI - and i`d like to throw open the floor as well :

Do you feel that in the present day and age, Indians lack a "strategic culture of thought" - or rather don`t actively involve themselves in it ?
    When I say Indians, I mean people in civil society aka the aam aadmi.
    if yes, what should we do about it ?

hit&run and W.G.Ewald like this.
  3. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Is a corollary question, will India ever evolve a strategic culture, and what forces will cause it to occur?

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Yes when there is a generational shift at the top.

sorcerer and SamwiseTheBrave like this.
  5. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Since 1947 bitself India has lacked strategic foresight. Nehru was the worst, he even wanted to disband Army, blieving India would never be invaded. That in spite of the invasion of J&K. He never saw the importance of Tibet as buffer betwwen India and China. Even a weak yet independent Tibet would have kept the dragon away.

Carving out B'desh has not served any long term strategic objectives. On the contrary, it freed Pakistan of a mill stone around its neck making it even a bigger threat.

Even today we do not see any long term strategic policy.

6. SamwiseTheBrave

@W.G.Ewald I think its has already begun... if a lazy indolent chap like me signs up for forums then i`d wager that a LOT of people are thinking about the goings on around them - I guess we need a mechanism to constructively channel this energy and make it happen. One would think that after an event like 26/11 things would shape up differently but surprisingly thats not been the case

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    W.G.Ewald likes this.
  7. SamwiseTheBrave

which makes me wonder... how in the world did we lose the plot in b`desh ? you`d expect india to have an excellent rapport with them....considering the fact that we practically midwifed the birth of the nation ! should india be more proactive in ...lets say, "supporting" secularist forces like Sheikh Hasina ? recent events and momentum do indicate a very good window of opportunity for this. i was really surprised to learn that b`deshi textbooks present a distorted picture of the events in `71

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There is none.

Maybe Appeasement is the strategic culture.

sorcerer likes this.
  9. Ray

To have a strategic culture, the Govt has to have a Strategic Vision and a Strategic Policy.

There is none!

There are none in the Govt and only a handful, and that too those who left the military prematurely to join politics, in Parliament.

Then some people who have retired have organised themselves as 'think tanks' but the Govt only selectively leans on them, like they did for the 'think tankers' (that had some military people too!) who were advocating demiltarising Siachen (and practically handing it over to Pakistan, after so many Indian lives were sacrificed to ensure that Pakistan does not usurp even more territory than it has!}

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  10. SamwiseTheBrave

getting into the solution mode, i`m just thinking out-of-the-box here..... having more active fora like DFI does help, but more importantly, greater interaction between the military and civilians is a great necessity. we just don`t have enough contact points right now ! the perception, in my mind at least, is that the Armed Forces are extremely wary of engaging in such interactions as it might be misconstrued as "political participation", but why can`t it instead be viewed as an interaction between 2 groups of indian citizens ? also, why not have a dedicated magazine/TV channel for strategic, defence, military and nationalistic affairs ? use the character of the free markets to your advantage !

11. SamwiseTheBrave

ok i`ll be Honest Ray Sir, when I first read bout the proposal to withdraw from Siachen i felt it was reasonable and rational....sensible low-hanging fruit to improve trust & relations. that is how an ordinary person from a civilian background would think. However when I read on DFI about the COSTS such an action would entail, it meant a full 180 in my leanings. shockingly , not even 1 debate on any of the channels highlighted the strategic imprortance of Siachen and why we went there in 1st place ! we need more such viewpoints to be exercised and bought to light as to the COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS of our steps. this would be a step forward in permeating "strategic thinking" at the lowest level which can only help the nation

Last edited: May 1, 2013
    Ray likes this.
  12. SamwiseTheBrave

agreed but do we patiently wait for this change to happen, or already work towards steps and solutions to make it happen ? i`d be happy to hear some solutions to help improve the current situation at the grassroots level

13. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Isn't it better for India ? Explain please.

14. Ray

Sam,

Demilitarise is a fine concept.

But what is the guarantee that the Pakistanis don't spring another Kargil.

If Indian troops pulled back to Leh, then it would take 21 days acclimatisation to be fully operational.

By that time, India could do nothing to wrest back the heights. Every day is not Bana day!

And then China would take over DBO cross Saser La, walk into Siachen in Pakistan's hand and join the whole area to Shaksam which they already have having had it secede to it by Pakistan.

In short, China would have given strategic depth to the KKH running through KK Pass and thereafter who know what they would do to keep inching into Kashmir with our appeasement policied Govt shivering in their pants and accepting everything that the Chinese do!

15. SamwiseTheBrave

I guess he meant it COULD have served India`s strategic objectives, but sadly till now has FAILED to do so.

16. SamwiseTheBrave

agreed - can`t take Pak merely on its word, and the Chinese ploy to gain strategic depth is clear as daylight. however I do sense the govt. is trying to work out a solution non-militarily and am sure the Army has been extremely clear in terms of the huge disadvantages we face if PLA incursion drags on. ultimate aim is to retain strategic supremacy in SSN : that is the end towards which all means, diplomatic and military , must be employed.

17. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

We have suffered from the lack of it so whether it was Prithviraj Chauhan or Nehru they all did strategic blunders and believing in Gandhigiri and Pacificism.We accepted Tibet as part of China and did business with them and see the way they are doing incursions.Same with Pakistan.

India rarely shows strategic vision.Few strategic guys like Sardar Patel tried their best but unfortunately Nehru types became leaders. :tsk:

18. SamwiseTheBrave

one also notices a recurring pattern of the intelligence apparatus being weak - from Kargil to Parliament attack to 26/11 to the PLA incursion now.... of course there is a difference between Military and Counter-Terrorism Intelligence.... but still, why are we not arming arming R&AW and giving it greater latitude and responsibilities ? undo the damage done by IK Gujral govt. way back in 1997 ? Does the govt. seriously believe it can get a permanent UNSC seat without even having a credible, effective counter-intelligence organisation - something on par with the CIA, ISI or Mossad ? why don`t we take the help of nations like the USA, Russia or Israel to redevelop these capabilities - or is this not a done thing in such matters ?

19. SamwiseTheBrave

I guess a consensus needs to evolved across the political spectrum for matters pertaining to National Security... to ensure Policy Continuity and also smoother reactions regardless of the govt. of the day. but of course, i`m daydreaming aren`t I ? @rock127 nice avatar pic,bro :thumb:

20. Ray

It all requires political will.

But if the political will is vectored solely to ensure warming the seats of power in Delhi and line the pockets at nation's expense and then cover up their thieving, then who has the time to worry about national external or internal interest?

Then there are the gullible, who are willing to buy all the slogans like Garibi Hatao, Roti Kapda aur Makan, Aam Admi as the panacea of all ills of the nation.

People get the Govt they deserve!

Nehru gave away parts of India to Pakistan and then to China.

His Congress legatees of his philosophy are merely ape-ing him!

Why should India care?

Ladakh bahut dur ast!

It is only when anything happens in Delhi, does the Govt act.

Rapes in Delhi. Man, that is horrid.

Rapes elsewhere - bahut dur ast!

Not to worry about that - just sing Hakuna mata

"There are no worries"

Life goes on regardless!

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  21. SamwiseTheBrave

DFI ke wasion.....just wondering if we should join the Aam Aadmi Party to constitute the Defence & Foreign Relations wing :) good probability to rub shoulders with Gen.V.K. Singh as well ...what say you ??? @Ray Sir : but seriously to answer your question : "Why should India care?" the answer would be that people are slowly but surely realizing that it is THEY who make up India. ever since the Anna Hazare movement, politics is no longer the cesspool of cynicism it was once seen to be. I see this happening all around me - with the upcoming K`taka elections, am confident there will be a greater turnout of the youth at the polling booth than ever before. As with all things in India, change has slowly but surely begun. We need to lean in and accelerate it, on an individual and collective basis.