Starbucks takes on India

mayfair

Sir, you are a man after my own heart.

I prefer only Darjeeling tea. Early morning cuppa of Darjeeling tea is a must. and Lopchou tea is my addiction. Unfortunately not able to get it regularly in Delhi. When I was in Kolkata, my office was in Nilhat House, the largest Private Tea Auctions in Asia take place there. I was introduced to Lopchou by a friend there.
Try Yusuf Sarai, INA market and Hauz Khas. Always find Lopchu there.

Reactions: sob

sob

Mod
Country flag
Thanks a lot I will definitely go there over the weekend.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ how do you pick up the taste of coffee from all that milk and sugar ?

Reactions: sob

opesys

how can you not pick up the taste? sugar&milk adds to the taste..makes it more smoother and enjoyable...

sob

Mod
Country flag
You have to enjoy an espresso shot to fully enjoy coffee.

Same goes for tea, milk and sugar spoil it.

mayfair

Starbucks effect: Barista ropes in Rina Dhaka

Within days of Seattle-based café chain Starbucks entering India, Barista, Lavazza is jazzing up its look and feel with a designer touch.

Revamped menus and menu-cards, uniforms and store interiors have been readied in tieup with designer Rina Dhaka for the 12-year-old Barista, which was taken over by Italian coffee major Turin-based Lavazza in 2007.

At the time of Starbucks launch earlier this month, some of the leading café players, including Barista had ruled out competing with the world's largest coffee chain on price front.

Barista played down the American-Italian competition.

On being asked whether Starbucks's entry was a challenge, Barista Lavazza COO (India-Saarc) Nilanjan Bhattacharya told Business Standard: "I don't think so."

Rather, Starbucks would benefit Barista, as it is expected to help grow the category and make consumers shift from tea to coffee, he said.

He, however, declined to divulge the details of investments made or planned by Barista Lavazza.

On sharing the café pie, which is pegged at $230 million (about Rs 1,265 crore) in India, Bhattacharya said: "We will continue to leverage the strong Lavazza connection and the Barista brand, apart from innovative marketing and consumer activation initiatives."

Following Starbucks's entry, competition is set to be tough in the Indian market among half a dozen players including Café Coffee Day, Costa Coffee, Gloria Jeans, and Dunkin' Donuts.

Barista Lavazza's metro focus will remain as most of its revenue comes from there. Around 70-75 per cent of its revenue, which Bhattacharya refused to divulge, comes from the eight big cities in India.

The chain is present across 28 cities and the proportion of revenue may change gradually over the years, depending on the growth of the category.

The company is open to the franchise model for smaller towns.

With over 180 stores, it is adding 20 to 25 on an annualised basis.

Inspired by Rina Dhaka, the chain is calling the new menu and the collection Milano Collezion, referring to fashion capital Milan.

Starbucks, through a joint venture with Tata Global Beverages, opened its first two stores in Mumbai recently, and is planning to come to New Delhi early 2013.

The Indian café market, at $230 million as of September, is set to grow at a compounded annual growth rate of 13-14 per cent, according to a recent study by Technopak Advisors, a retail consultancy.

The study notes that by 2017, the market will swell to $410 million.

From 700 cafes in 2007, the number of outlets has increased to 1950, and is likely to grow to 2,900 by 2017.

While Café Coffee Day is the market leader with 1,350 stores, Barista Lavazza is a distant second with 315 outlets, followed by Costa Coffee at 100, Mocha at 18, Coffee Beans & Tea Leaf and Gloria Jeans at 17 each, Bru World Cafe at seven and Dunkin' at five, according to the study.
Café Coffee Day has an effin' 1350 stores across the country? That is 1350 outlets serving pure shite?

Says something about people's tastes...

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Do you like Chai ? (not that I care just asking :p )
Periodically I don't mind tea but not desi style.
EDIT: only when I want to have sweet hot milk, or when I am unwell and need some ginger delivery mechanism.
==

Shall we stop putting sugar and milk in korma also because we can have it separately also ? :hookah:
If I am eating a steak I don't want to put milk and sugar on it, if you know what I mean ?

Last edited:

cloud_9

Country flag
I saw people standing in queues outside Starbucks on TV :fkidding: If Apple comes to India we will see shanty house being erected around the Apple Store whenever their is a new launch of iPhone or iPad :heh:

average american

I was going to graduate school when I aquired a taste for coffee, I drink about a pot a day and still dont know why.

panduranghari

Starbucks..they make terrible coffee. The filter coffee from South Indian restaurants is to die for.

mayfair

Starbucks..they make terrible coffee. The filter coffee from South Indian restaurants is to die for.
Quoted for truth. There are quite a few I can recall meself in Bangalore.

MTR at Lalbagh
United Coffee house on MG Road (alas no longer)
Shanti Sagar, Malleshwaram
TMSC Canteen (later morphed into Kabini), Indian Institute of Science Campus
Coffee Board Canteen, IISc
Janapada Loka, Ramanagara, Bangalore-Mysore Highway

But the best filter coffee I ever tasted was at a close mate's home in Chennai.

Tolaha

I'd prefer our Oolong tea :shocked:.
I tried Oolong tea just last week. For someone more used to the Indian way of tea preparation (loads of milk and sugar), the taste was a little odd to get adjusted to. But felt quite refreshed after some time. A colleague of mine carries a wooden casket with Oolong tea and drinks it all the time.

IF they are rich they will buy a koorg Monsooned Malabar which costs 6000/bucks a Kg and a family can drink that for 2 months (most rich south Indian families do this they ) or they will get the beans roast and make the coffee everyday (a ritual for my grandparents).
Coorg Monsooned Malabar:
Coffee and Spices in Coorg | Hill Station Coorg

The first estate in Coorg was established in 1854 by an Englishman of the name John Fowler. The first British superintendent, Captain Le Hardy took a deep interest in the prosperity of the land and soon nearly every family in Coorg had started growing the brew that refreshed the world.
In 1670, Baba Budan, a Muslim pilgrim, smuggled 7 coffee seeds out of Mecca and planted them in the Chikmagalur region near Coorg in Karnataka, thus introducing coffee to India.
Today, Karnataka yields 140,000 tonnes of coffee a year, making it the largest producer of coffee in India.
While coffee was the cup that cheered, the hills of Coorg were the supply depot for the famous spice coast of Malabar. Pepper, Cloves, Cardamom, Kokum (Garcinia cambogia), Cinchona, and other stars of the fabled 'spice route' are residents of these hills.
Cafe Coffee Day sucks :sad:
Nescafe any day is a better choice :nod:
Both of them suck, dude!

There are 2 McD's, Pizza Hut, Dominos, KFC and SubWay 10-15 minutes (walking) from my House :D
I have all these within 10 minutes walk of my house. The shocking number is that of Cafe Coffee Day. 6 CCD's within half kilometer radius from my house! I really cant believe they could be making profit when they are increasing their stores so recklessly!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles