Starbucks takes on India

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Majority of Indians have a very frugal psyche(barrring Punjabis).They will no way spend 500 bucks on a cup of coffee.IF they are rich they will buy a koorg Monsooned Malabar which costs 6000/bucks a Kg and a family can drink that for 2 months (most rich south Indian families do this they ) or they will get the beans roast and make the coffee everyday (a ritual for my grandparents).In such a background Starbucks won't even click in South India.In north India it may work in Delhi and may be Bombay or Poona
It will work in South, if Starbucks start offering Idli-sambhar dipped in coffee :troll:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
IMO, city dwellers are all the same in terms of spending, whether in Mumbai or Bangalore or Delhi. The cultural difference in spending habits comes out mostly in the rural/semi-rural areas.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Cant people find anyone except TATA for conglomeration? TATA seems to get majority of all the JVs comeing into India, can they even handle it?

mayfair

I prefer to brew my own coffee (from ground coffee beans) anyway.

But I must say, I used to relish a steaming hot tumbler of kaapi with my idli, vadai and sambhar in various darshinis in Bangalore.

Difficult to find stuff like that up North.

Last edited:

arkem8

Country flag
Majority of Indians have a very frugal psyche(barrring Punjabis).They will no way spend 500 bucks on a cup of coffee.IF they are rich they will buy a koorg Monsooned Malabar which costs 6000/bucks a Kg and a family can drink that for 2 months (most rich south Indian families do this they ) or they will get the beans roast and make the coffee everyday (a ritual for my grandparents).In such a background Starbucks won't even click in South India.In north India it may work in Delhi and may be Bombay or Poona
Bro, Starbucks is going to be the upper end version of Barista, CCD and the other Indian brands, nothing else.... Have you noticed KFC not as auccessful as MacD's which in turn is nowhere near as prolific as it is in the US.

Most Indians have very different tastes, very different priorities and a very thin wallet....

P.S I would love to try that "koorg Monsooned Malabar which costs 6000/bucks a Kg", do they sell it in normal general stores all over the country??

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Cafe Coffee Day sucks :sad:
Nescafe any day is a better choice :nod:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Heard that Mumbai Starbucks has only firangi (american) staff.

They should work on it soon or it will hurt the brand ! :sad:

average american

You are wrong, In Punjab or Delhi ,Chd. If they charge 1000 for a coffee then also our phukare punjabi will drink...punjabiya di shaan wakhari

That was what I thought in the USA too, but then I never believed people would pay a buck for a bottle of water either.

arkem8

Country flag
Heard that Mumbai Starbucks has only firangi (american) staff.

They should work on it soon or it will hurt the brand ! :sad:
The first Baskin 31 Robbins also did, now see how they disappeared....
Only Dominoes and MacD's seems to be doing well...relatively

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The taste of coffee of western countries and India is vastly different and I think Starbucks should keep this in mind and cater to local palates of India.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The first Baskin 31 Robbins also did, now see how they disappeared....
Only Dominoes and MacD's seems to be doing well...relatively
relatively ? They are at the very pinnacle !

===

The taste of coffee of western countries and India is vastly different and I think Starbucks should keep this in mind and cater to local palates of India.
Indian palate is simple; no taste of coffee and all sugar and milk :facepalm: !

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
McD is doing extremely well in India. They are super choosy when it comes to opening new outlets, and apparently it is working out very well for them.

Personally I hate Pizzas & I hate Dominos :namaste:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles