Stampede rules India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sakal Gharelu Ustad, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

India is a land of public festivals and generally leads to congregation of huge number of people in one place. But this is the second stampede in last one week, the current one being in Puri. Read story here: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-millennium-s-first-nabakalebar-rath-yatra-held-at-puri-2105749

It is such a sorry state where you can die while participating in a great ceremony. Is it carelessness on the part of administration to plan the whole festival that leads to such accidents? What actions does the govt. needs to take for smooth functioning of such events?

P.S. Seems like I will cancel visiting Kumbh this year given such reputation.

3. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

As per this tweet, this was not a stampede.

Now a days i scan for on the ground reports on SM if any, before coming to a conclusion.

4. OneGrimPilgrim

OneGrimPilgrim Senior Member Senior Member

whr invaders hv been eulogised, heroes binned!!
    @Sakal Gharelu Ustad - although haven't been to one, but reading accounts of people about Kumbh gatherings from decades back to the recent ones, all tell about the good management more-or-less. the last one i think was esp. covered on this aspect by domestic & int'l journos. i think you may travel, though taking precautions ofcourse.

5. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Allahabad is well organized, Nashik is not so good at management. Thanks for your reply.

6. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

"Bad Stampede India" is a bad headline for this thread. Where there are going to be 10 million people (Kumbh Mela at Allahabad, Haridwar) a million at Nasik and a million at Puri, all religiously charged, there are going to be accidents. These accidents are far fewer than the Kumbh Mela my mother attended in 1955s where the numbers attending were far fewer than today, but fatalities were far greater. These gathering and fatalities are greater for old and infirm who attend these ceremonies in larger number. They consider it an honour to die at the Kumbh Mela, as that guarantees them seat in heavens. That is what they believe.

But be watchful, stampede and fatalities are not limited to Hindu festivities, these have happened in other religions.

Remember thousands upon thousands died in an accident during Muslim festivities in Saudi Arabia when air conditioning or similar modern hardware failed a dozen years back.

Fatalities are far fewer in Christian world because there are no festivities comparable to Kumbh etc. and everything else is watched on TV, hence all people do not have to travel to one spot. But bad stampedes have happened in scores of death in modern times in the Christian world. Hundreds died in sports stampede in Belgian and elsewhere only a dozen years back.

Hence my point is that why this huge urge to pinpoint all evil events to Hindus and Hindu festivities. Look around, you will find that a crowd when it is religiously charged, or sports crazy are likely to stampede either to have first look or first dip in the holy river or simply mad that sports did not go to their liking.

Cheers

7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I did not mean "Hindu festivals" when I started the thread. The question was over bad administrative handling of these festivals. It is no excuse that foreigners don't have big festivals and so they don't get killed, to allow people to die unnecessarily. May be many old people want to die in Allahabad but that does not mean that the state should forget its duty and actually facilitate such deaths due to incompetence.

8. Ancient Indian

Ancient Indian Unplugged Version Senior Member

Religious madness will screw everything you prepare for.

Recently I attended an event. It was like stampede. They shoved an 80 years old in all that frenzy. I have to hold the old man for next few minutes.

Poor people can be emotional fools.

OneGrimPilgrim likes this.
  9. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

May be you are right..........................

10. Ancient Indian

Ancient Indian Unplugged Version Senior Member

The best suggestion to you is picking up your own festival.

Go to temple in less busy hours. You may learn a thing or two about God.

True ashramas are much more greater than temples.

Try to visit ashrama.

OneGrimPilgrim likes this.
  11. OneGrimPilgrim

OneGrimPilgrim Senior Member Senior Member

whr invaders hv been eulogised, heroes binned!!
    even i had this thought. though what Hari Sud mentioned is new for me.
    and would totally agree with Ancient Indian on both the counts, from some personal observation & inference.