SSBN S-5 - India's next Generation nuclear submarine

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
thanks BR so if our designers are copying proven design from Russia, with their approval it is good, specially the fact that it will have 16 tube with 3 MIRV with 5k range.

This will deterient we hope to achive with 3-5 bommer class sub.

arkem8

Country flag
I wouldn't call it copying, the Delta class has 2 screws and a more abrupt hump. This visualisation is just speculation since the design WILL undergo iterative changes by the time metal is cut. However the SSBN layout and formula will be the same.

BTW the Arihant looks more like a giant nuke powered KILO class than anything else, can you call that a copy?? India is a very late comer to this game and has a lot of catching up to do.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
it's not a delta III model
it's a old mock up model of borei class with sineva SLBM's
And the exact copy for the News report, now I doubt upon the genuineness of the report.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
We are putting stress on stealth and more firepower in terms of MIRV and long range SLBM.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
IS there any plans of building SSN? Arihant class is all SSBN correct me if im wrong

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
IS there any plans of building SSN? Arihant class is all SSBN correct me if im wrong
one require stealth and other require super speed to chase and kill SSBN.

Right now we have require more SSBN and when sufficient deterrence are in place, we will go for counter. BTW Chakra is SSN so we are covered in that account to some extent.

Decklander

Their will be three or possibly four Arihant class subs. The hull for the second is nearly ready and the third one is in very advance stage.
The next gen nuke subs will be multi purpose for them a reactor on 150MW power is being readied. Two of those reactors might go into Vishaal if ready by than. The next nuke subs will carry ICBMs and also be capable of acting as hunter killers.

indian_sukhoi

Next Generation Nuke submarines will be much longer and will be carrying more power full reactor , but major development will be on weapons front which means new submarines will have more Launch tubes , which will enable it to carry more Ballistic missiles then the current capabilities of Arihant class Submarines .

Construction work on Next Generation submarine should start by 2020 has soon has work on construction of Arihant class submarines are over .
Even if it carrying more Ballistic missile doesn't mean, A SSBM sub will have capability to launch all the missiles at once. I mean i dont understand, why the requirement of carrying so many MIRV missiles

Anyways, You guys need to take a look on "Operation Behemoth". It was only time ever recorded,when a sub launched all its missiles at once. When a ballistic missile is launched from a submarine, The force of the missile pushes the sub deeper and imbalance it.

We really need to concentrate more on SSN's and build Fewer SSBN's!~
Excatly, Building and maintaining Nuclear subs is very expensive. Concentrating more on SSNs would be a better idea

Last edited by a moderator:

bose

Country flag
What is the size of the new submarine ? An Arihant is in the range of ~ 6000 Tones...

We need killer submarines in large numbers? I personally believe Indian Navy is short in numbers for its Submarine fleet...

We have to come up with the third submarine building yard...

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
could we say that india has truly made substantial progress in this area ?

Last edited:

pmaitra

She looks lot like Russian Delta III class Submarine..

But with a Single Propeller..
I think all 4 Delta variants have the hunchback missile canisters. Looks like we will continue to copy old generation Soviet submarines. I wish we at least got the latest technology. I am not a big fan of the hunchback style.

Another modern hunchback is the Alexander Nevsky and the Indian blueprint is more similar to this than the Delta, with that sloped hunchback:

Note: The above mentions Yuri Dolgoruky, but Yuri Dolgoruky does not have a hunchback like that. It is slightly different. Both Yuri Dolgoruky and Alexander Nevsky are largely same. Both are Borei Class submarines.

In fact, the picture posted by @Drsomnath999 is nothing but the picture taken from Reuters/Itar-Tass, as the one above. I really feel bad for DRDO for pulling off such stunts. @Bhadra, I invite you to make more dodo kabaab please. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
could we say that india has truly made substantial progress in this area ?
I would say not really. Arihant hasn't proven anything except that Russia has to come in and solve design problems.

Bheeshma

Arihant needs to fire a few K-4's before it is considered fully operational.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I would say not really. Arihant hasn't proven anything except that Russia has to come in and solve design problems.
just our first nuke sub, just wait for some years when we are going to master the tech and then production line will be active.

Reactions: uss

p2prada

Let's give it 10 more years before we actually start discussing about this phantom sub.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Let's give it 10 more years before we actually start discussing about this phantom sub.
S4 hull is under fabrication, S3 is at SBL, S2 is getting ready for sea trials. S1 is experimental sub, going on and off sea (most secretive of the lot, we dont have any info about it)

so what will be next S5.

p2prada

S4 hull is under fabrication, S3 is at SBL, S2 is getting ready for sea trials. S1 is experimental sub, going on and off sea (most secretive of the lot, we dont have any info about it)

so what will be next S5.
The Admiral talked of inducting one sub every 3 years. So, if we say 2013 will be the induction date for Arihant, then we can say the next sub will come in 2016, followed by the 3rd in 2019.

S1 is a TD which was scrapped. It exists as a land based prototype. The lead sub is Arihant, as is the class name, and is the only SSBN/GN we have as of today. As you said, S-3 and S-4 will be the next 2 subs.

The S-5 will most probably be an entirely new class or even a Arihant II class. Any S-5 will come only after 2019. Since we won't know anything much about it until it is launched, we simply have to wait for the Navy or the companies to release information.

It would be interesting if a new sub development is already happening for SSNs along with a second fabrication unit and assembly line somewhere.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles