SRK detained at US airport for being a Khan

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I don't think it is a matter of the US treating Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis badly. They treat every Asian Muslim with a suspicious eye. There have been cases of innocent Canadian citizens being detained at US airports, and then just disappearing without a trace only to surface years later, having being kidnapped by the US intelligence agencies and tortured for information they didn't have.

In a very famous case, a Canadian citizen who was of Syrian Muslim descent successfully sued the Canadian government for actually colluding with the US in his kidnapping. After the RCMP co-operated with the FBI, He was taken to Syria and tortured for a year, and made to give false confessions.

You can read about his case here:

Maher Arar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Look at how non-Muslims are treated in Muslim countries before complaining

Before a Muslim complains about how United States treats Muslims.....you first need to come and live in the United States and see that Muslims in the US have it better than probably any other Western country.

After you have done that....then take a world tour of the top 10 major Muslim majority countries in the world and make an honest assessment of how Muslims treat their non-Muslim minorities/immigrants in those countries.

Once a Muslim has explored the 2 scenarios I have described above - then the said individual will duly learn to shut their trap !!!

Muslims here have all the rights of any citizen or permanent resident in the country. If you doubt that, then please talk to any Indian or Pakistani Muslim who has worked and lived in the US for at least 5 years.

There is no one taking away their passports on arrival like in Saudi Arabia and treating them like indentured slaves. There is no one denying them opportunities to worship or open mosques unlike Muslims countries where its almost impossible for minorities to open new places of worship.

They are treated equally by the law unlike most Middle Eastern and Muslim countries where you dont have a prayer under the legal system of ever getting any justice if you are going against a local Muslim.

There is no intimidation of Muslim women even if they choose to wear a burqa or hijab unlike places like France and other european countries. There is no one burning your homes.

And Finally......if you went to the Filipino or Pakistani or Bangaldeshi or Indian or Indonesian Embassy in the United States of America.....you wont find a bunch of poor desperate penniless women who were abused/tortured/beaten/enslaved/raped by their employers and begging their Embassy people to be sent back to their home countries like you do in so many Islamic countries like Kuwait, Saudi, Gulf states and even Malaysia.

As the good London based Pakistani-born Bishop Nizar of the Church of England says - "the Muslim community is always crying about being victims when they are in the minority, but unfortunately they dont practise what they preach when they are in the majority !!

BTW: Bishop Nizar was a Pakistani who was born a Muslim and converted to the Christian faith. I guess he should know a thing or two about his own people.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Before a Muslim complains about how United States treats Muslims.....you first need to come and live in the United States and see that Muslims in the US have it better than probably any other Western country.

After you have done that....then take a world tour of the top 10 major Muslim majority countries in the world and make an honest assessment of how Muslims treat their non-Muslim minorities/immigrants in those countries.

Once a Muslim has explored the 2 scenarios I have described above - then the said individual will duly learn to shut their trap !!!

Muslims here have all the rights of any citizen or permanent resident in the country. If you doubt that, then please talk to any Indian or Pakistani Muslim who has worked and lived in the US for at least 5 years.

There is no one taking away their passports on arrival like in Saudi Arabia and treating them like indentured slaves. There is no one denying them opportunities to worship or open mosques unlike Muslims countries where its almost impossible for minorities to open new places of worship.

They are treated equally by the law unlike most Middle Eastern and Muslim countries where you dont have a prayer under the legal system of ever getting any justice if you are going against a local Muslim.

There is no intimidation of Muslim women even if they choose to wear a burqa or hijab unlike places like France and other european countries. There is no one burning your homes.

And Finally......if you went to the Filipino or Pakistani or Bangaldeshi or Indian or Indonesian Embassy in the United States of America.....you wont find a bunch of poor desperate penniless women who were abused/tortured/beaten/enslaved/raped by their employers and begging their Embassy people to be sent back to their home countries like you do in so many Islamic countries like Kuwait, Saudi, Gulf states and even Malaysia.

As the good London based Pakistani-born Bishop Nizar of the Church of England says - "the Muslim community is always crying about being victims when they are in the minority, but unfortunately they dont practise what they preach when they are in the majority !!

BTW: Bishop Nizar was a Pakistani who was born a Muslim and converted to the Christian faith. I guess he should know a thing or two about his own people.
The very fact that you have to compare the US to Saudi Arabia or other backward middle eastern countries to prove how "progressive" you are shows how far the US has slipped into the abyss.

You ought to be comparing yourself to western European countries, Canada, Australia, and the rest of the developed world and see how they treat their Muslim citizens rather than saying that "we're better than Saudi Arabia or Somalia, so we need not worry".

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
The very fact that you have to compare the US to Saudi Arabia or other backward middle eastern countries to prove how "progressive" you are shows how far the US has slipped into the abyss.

You ought to be comparing yourself to western European countries, Canada, Australia, and the rest of the developed world and see how they treat their Muslim citizens rather than saying that "we're better than Saudi Arabia or Somalia, so we need not worry".
Do you consider Kuwait, Dubai, Bahrain, Malaysia, Turkey to be "backward" countries. Maybe you should go to Malaysia or Kuwait or Dubai.

So your argument is that Muslims can get away with treating their non-muslim minorities like shit.....because they are "backward", but when they travel to Western countries they expect to be treated like first class citizens !!!

You just made my point dude !!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I have a different take. SRK maybe a big thing in India. Not necessary that everyone in US should know him.
For me the concern is that he was profiled on the base of his religion.

I'm sure many Indian Muslims are profiled that way in the US. It's just that this person they profiled was SRK it's getting reported. What are the ministers doing when other indians in general get targetted?

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Agreed with you sabir , SRK represents India all over world, a great actor and a gentleman, representing our country in the world , this is simply a double standard and an insult to all of us, it came on the hills of our ex president respected APJ Abdul Kalam was harassed by the Continental Airways , American security staff.

Regards
Its a SHAME to US that they don't know such a figure like Dr. Abdul Kalam, not because he was the former president of India but because he is a well known scientist and was the one who actually made these dangerous nuclear weapons to these countries like north korea and pakistan. And today, another reason why these countries are on the highlight of world's headline.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
George Fernadez, a Chirstian, and India's Defence Minister was stripped searched by the idiot Americans!

They are senseless and arrogant !

When Obama comes he should be stripped and checked!

But has India the .......?

ShyAngel

Founding Member
WE LOVE SRK<3

I don't care if they know him as a big star or not but I got pissed because he got suspected over his religion and surname.

ShyAngel

Founding Member
George Fernadez, a Chirstian, and India's Defence Minister was stripped searched by the idiot Americans!

Congraz to George Fernadez for winning the set in parliament.

One of biggest supporter for Tibetan cause!

Officer of Engineers

Professional

Sir,

According to this,

US apologises over body search
The US has apologised to former Indian Defence Minister George Fernandes after he was body searched during visits to Washington in the last two years.

US Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage said on Wednesday he was "horrified" at the way immigration officials had treated Mr Fernandes.

Mr Fernandes says he was forced to take off some of his clothes. But he denies that he was made to strip.

US officials say proper "diplomatic procedures" were not followed.

'Clothes removed'

The controversy over Mr Fernandes' treatment in the US began at the weekend when details emerged in a book by former senior US diplomat Strobe Talbott.

“ The defence minister of India wasn't carrying bombs. There was no need to search him ”
Lalit Mansingh
Former ambassador to US

Mr Talbott said Mr Fernandes had told him that he had been "strip-searched" twice at Washington's Dulles international airport - once on an official visit in early 2002 and again en route to Brazil in 2003.

Mr Fernandes went public with his version of events for the first time on Wednesday.

"They told me to take off my coat. I did that. They told me to take off my shoes and socks. I did that. Then they told me to spread my arms and body searched me," Mr Fernandes said.

"They did not tell me to take off all my clothes."

Wednesday's developments came as Mr Armitage was taking part in a day of talks with senior Indian government and opposition figures.

He said he was horrified at the way Mr Fernandes had been treated.

"I did call my friend George Fernandes - to offer my sincere apologies," Mr Armitage told journalists in Delhi.

"He's been a great friend of mine, a great friend of the United States."

Discrepancy

Earlier in the day the US embassy in Delhi issued a formal denial that Mr Fernandes had been strip-searched.

But there remains a discrepancy between his account and the US embassy's of what actually happened.

Mr Fernandes "did have a security wand placed over him when a key in his pocket set off the metal detector", a US embassy spokeswoman said.

She added that the US had established procedures for such security procedures to be waived for heads of states, government ministers and diplomats if the authorities are notified in advance.

It is not clear why these were not followed in Mr Fernandes' case.

The Indian ambassador in Washington at the time, Lalit Mansingh, says that an exception should have been made.

"I protested to the security detail that the defence minister should not be searched, that he was a guest of the US government, but the security personnel accompanying Mr Fernandes stood aside and said that they had no jurisdiction to intervene," he told The Hindu newspaper.

"The defence minister of India wasn't carrying bombs. There was no need to search him," he said.

Earlier this week, Mr Fernandes was reported to have said he would not visit the US again after what he called his "ordeal".

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | South Asia | US apologises over body search

Published: 2004/07/14 14:01:04 GMT

© BBC MMIX
Still, I would love to see Obama take of his shoes.

Terminator

Fanatism is always trouble to the society and all religions have fanatics in them ,we can see it in Islam,christainity ,hinduism,budhism,jewism etc.

Open minded people can find out many of religious leaders twist the holy words into their petty benifit.
Crusaders or jihadis were formed to grab land and stam authority by kings of that age by any means(saladin & King Richard).
so called cleansing and return to roots are done by people to make them a popular icon .
Each person should realise how good INDIA is ,we have all freedom even to bash our prime minister(can you do bash king in saudi?)

We Should also be happy and realise we are not paranoid as the US or some western goverment though they speak of liberty and equality they torture and frisk innocent people.

What they sow they reap is a proverb what we should know is to differenciate between good and bad and get a great leadership and none of these things would have happening again.

(If us has put us in their list yeah we have done some problem, but we can also make a commitee make list and slap them back by citing Guantanamo bay or innocents killed in their so called war on terror)..
Also if you went through thread about 1962 war the world will not respect weak nations so its time for us to stratergise and make us a strong nation with independent foreign policy than being neutral.( Dont sit and think what we must do and what others may think abt us if we do so , go and conquer the world as future is ours if we take steps or theirs if we falter.
(If only our leaders had guts instead of licking boots of obama :wink:)

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

So u want to compare civilized countries with third world countries . Keep it up , now a super power who claim itself the champion of democracy and human rights can take such excuses and conduct its religious profiling .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
mattster,

The issue is not about Muslims crying that they are being victimised.

The issue is about Freedom and Democracy that the US touts.

By the logic of the 2 hour detention being OK, should we not detain every US citizen equally long? Let's say, we detain good old Bill Clinton for 2 hours. Is Bill a terrorist?

ahmedsid

Top Gun
This should not be made an issue of Religion. This should be made an issue, whereby the Resident Superpower, the champion of Democracy world over, discriminates between people! What right does it give them to tell India to stop mistreating its minorities, when they do the same??

Flint

I think one can accuse the US of far worse violations of human dignity than stopping people at airports for a bit longer (lol)

However, I seriously think the media coverage is disproportionate. I'd say that King Khan is enjoying the attention.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
This should not be made an issue of Religion. This should be made an issue, whereby the Resident Superpower, the champion of Democracy world over, discriminates between people! What right does it give them to tell India to stop mistreating its minorities, when they do the same??
Religious profiling has been increased alot in America and this only its damaging its image world wide .

The report was wrong against India issued by USA on religious freedom .

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
You guys still dont get it

Guys....after reading all the posts here, it seems like you have all glossed over a very basic fact about security !!

The basic fact is that 90% of all major terrorist attack or failed Terrorist attack undertaken in the Europe, US and India in last 10 years since 9/11 have emanated from Pakistan.

Pakistan is the epicenter of world terrorism.....almost every failed terrorist plan in Europe, UK and the US involves people who were Pakistanis or they travelled to Pakistan and trained there before launching their attacks. Go and check the facts.

The number of failed attacks is actually much higher than successful attacks....in many cases you dont even hear about them since the local intelligence does not want to expose their techniques.

Given this scenario, anyone with a name ending with "Khan" should expect extended scrutiny. Countries all over the world are going to scrutinize anyone with a Pakistani sounding Muslim name. Its a huge hassle for any law-abiding Pakistani or Muslim with a pakistani sounding name, but thats the price you pay for security.

Any why shouldn't they do that.....Why should any country have to apologize for taking care of its citizens ??

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
They are going overboard. How come every person with a Muslim sounding name is whisked aside to be searched "more thoroughly"? What's the difference between this mentality and the one displayed during WWII when the US rounded up all Japanese Americans and sent them to internment camps?

EDIT: The only difference, is that those Japanese Americans received apologies for the hardships they faced.

prahladh

Respected Member
I wonder how media would have reacted if this incident happend a few days after 9/11.

natarajan

USA mentality is to save their people at any cost so dont spare anyone but indian mentality is great that we can have so many bomb blast and terrorist can get into india but even one vip or neta should not be checked:wink: as only common people security is in question

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles