SRK detained at US airport for being a Khan

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Once in Detriot i was removed from the security line and my baggage checked (they took chemical samples and all). I'm not muslim, but they do racial profiling. Its humiliating to those who are selected.

But talking of humiliation, has anyone flown to Saudi on Indian / Pakistani / Bangladesh passport? 80% times you will end up getting far worse treatment.
Sad to hear that fateh!

I have flown to all the Middle Eastern countries, and I agree there is a profiling, but mostly its the poor labourers who bear the brunt of it. If you are wearing a suit, or are well dressed and well versed in English, they wont do anything. Its when they see a poorly dressed Bangladeshi, or Indian or Pakistani that they take their contempt out.

leonblack08

Respected Member
Once in Detriot i was removed from the security line and my baggage checked (they took chemical samples and all). I'm not muslim, but they do racial profiling. Its humiliating to those who are selected.

But talking of humiliation, has anyone flown to Saudi on Indian / Pakistani / Bangladesh passport? 80% times you will end up getting far worse treatment.
Though not related to topic,But I agree with you 100%.Even the air hostesses will behave rudely if they find a sub-continental people.They probably think we all are labourers.Read an article on this issue where the author who was a professor,found himself in all sorts of trouble going to KSA.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Get a grip guys - Dont expect every US immigration to know every Indian star

Guys......you all need to get a grip.

Its an unfortunate fact that 90% of the worst terrorists in this planet are Muslims who have some connection to Pakistan. Note: that does not mean that every Muslim or Pakistani is a terrorist, or that its a huge percentage. The actual percentage of Muslim terrorists may only a fraction of 1% of the total Muslim population, but they damage they can cause is huge.

The "Khan" name is very common among Indian Muslims and pakistani Muslims.

So what is a US immigration officer supposed to do when he is faced with a young looking single male with a Khan surname ?? Do you really expect the average US INS officer to know by heart all the Muslim Bollywood stars.
How many Americans do you think have ever watched a Bollywood movie ???

Pakistanis Jihadis have screwed things for every honest Muslim in the world who travels to any Western country. The US is now very concerned about British Pakistani Muslims with British passports that provide easy access to the US wthout a visa.

So any young healthy looking male with any connection to Pakistan or the Khan surname will come under the scanner unless that person has a US green card and has been living and working here for years.

This only makes sense. Indians should not view this as an insult to Indians in general because its based on very real security concerns. They learnt their lesson from the 9/11 experience, and unlike Indians, when Americans make mistakes, they find out what caused the mistake and fix the problem in a timely fashion.

Indians will repeat the same mistake 10 times and then form a committee to analyze the issue and 10 years later, you may see some results....if you are lucky !!!

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Easy for you to say that way...but hard for those who have these names.
Now this type of paranoia does not make US safer,instead it creates new terrorists.Gives Idiotic Fundis a chance to preach hate.
This is how things work. You have two option either cooperate with them or don't travel to that country. The fact is only because of such small things there were no terror strikes in US after 9/11.
Fateh71 is right the Saudis give even worst treatment to commoners the only thing they don't come in picture is because they treat high profile people properly.
Forget other country security check our own immegration people treat you harsly if you travell from pakistan, bangladesh and few other middle east country.
Seperate line for surname system is followed by many countries including ours.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Guys......you all need to get a grip.

Its an unfortunate fact that 90% of the worst terrorists in this planet are Muslims who have some connection to Pakistan. Note: that does not mean that every Muslim or Pakistani is a terrorist, or that its a huge percentage. The actual percentage of Muslim terrorists may only a fraction of 1% of the total Muslim population, but they damage they can cause is huge.

The "Khan" name is very common among Indian Muslims and pakistani Muslims.

So what is a US immigration officer supposed to do when he is faced with a young looking single male with a Khan surname ?? Do you really expect the average US INS officer to know by heart all the Muslim Bollywood stars.

Pakistanis Jihadis have screwed things for every honest Muslim in the world who travels to any Western country. The US is now very concerned about British Pakistani Muslims with British passports that provide easy access to the US wthout a visa.

So any young healthy looking male with any connection to Pakistan or the Khan surname will come under the scanner unless that person has a US green card and has been living and working here for years.

This only makes sense. Indians should not view this as an insult to Indians in general because its based on very real security concerns. They learnt their lesson from the 9/11 experience, and unlike Indians, when Americans make mistakes, they find out what caused the mistake and fix the problem in a timely fashion.

Indians will repeat the same mistake 10 times and then form a committee to analyze the issue and 10 years later, you may see some results....if you are lucky !!!
SRK aint Single, and then again, Why do they have to deny him a phone call or for that matter why cant they just believe him when he says he is an actor and just google his name!!!

You know, if the INS were really smart, they wont show their suspiciousness towards Muslims openly, they should be polite to the core. Thats what I hate, their arrogance! Detaining and wasting a person precious time!

And what about fateh being stopped? Is he a Muslim? Actually the americans dont know the difference between Muslims or Indians, they just profile by the continent, Asia or Africa and for them everyone from these places is a Muslim Terrorist!

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
SRK aint Single, and then again, Why do they have to deny him a phone call or for that matter why cant they just believe him when he says he is an actor and just google his name!!!

You know, if the INS were really smart, they wont show their suspiciousness towards Muslims openly, they should be polite to the core. Thats what I hate, their arrogance! Detaining and wasting a person precious time!

And what about fateh being stopped? Is he a Muslim? Actually the americans dont know the difference between Muslims or Indians, they just profile by the continent, Asia or Africa and for them everyone from these places is a Muslim Terrorist!
My friend.....you are living in a dream world that has passed you by. Yes...they were "polite to the core" to the 16 guys who caused 9/11, and see where that got them.

20 years ago a Muslim with a Khan surname would have had no issue coming to the US with a valid visa......Those days are long gone thanks to the Bin Laden and many other Jihadis like him in Pakistan.

For that matter, even Muslim countries are wary of Muslims from places like Pakistan. So its not just the US that is doing this. Its virtually every country......who wants to be a victim of a Mumbai-like 26/11 attack ???

Obviously if they knew he was the most famous actor in India, this incident would not have happened.

peace123

My friend.....you are living in a dream world that has passed you by. Yes...they were "polite to the core" to the 16 guys who caused 9/11, and see where that got them.

20 years ago a Muslim with a Khan surname would have had no issue coming to the US with a valid visa......Those days are long gone thanks to the Bin Laden and many other Jihadis like him in Pakistan.

For that matter, even Muslim countries are wary of Muslims from places like Pakistan. So its not just the US that is doing this. Its virtually every country......who wants to be a victim of a Mumbai-like 26/11 attack ???

Obviously if they knew he was the most famous actor in India, this incident would not have happened.
can you please tell me what they can get by stopping a person only because he is a khan or pakistani\indian\bangladeshi, and i ve to admire the ignorance or us people wasn't there a single person how know srk coz if some1 there had ever read maganize like newsweek should know thwt he is quoted 42nd in the most elite person in the world and guess..... there isn't any american actor in top 50:sad:

ahmedsid

Top Gun

Dream world hmmmmm You missed the whole point! I told the INS to atleast act Polite, not be Polite from Inside. Give respect, dont treat every dark skinned fellow as a Terrorist. Profile them all they want, a Little Respect is all I ask for!

PS: How many of the Hijackers were Pakistanis? I Know Pakistan is famed for its terrorists, but you just cant classify a country like that.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Does being a Muslim equate to being a terrorist ?
Can there not be Christian terrorists ? Why is this exhaustive questioning restricted to Muslims ?
Well here i would just like to say one thing , as America is waging wars in Muslim countries and is actively involved since the early 60's and back regimes and warlords , this is why american adm Equate Muslims as the only terrorists .

They are various christian terrorists all over the world but who cares as the real killings are going on in Muslim world , thats why Muslims are in the limelight and victims are shown as culprits and because of this only these wars can be waged . Europeans and Russians are way good in this matter compare to the Americans .

I dont think its any issue , there are thousands of Muslims who daily go through all these humaliation and this religious profiling in real by such things , americans are making themselves more isolated .

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
In US security and value of life comes above everything and everyone and i respect that a lot. Only because a person is a famous actor the protocol can't be voilated. Only in third world countries we have such attitude of nepotitism, and favouring depending on his social class.There everyone is checked and people with certain surname like khan, shah, shakhe, etc. have to undergo seperate security check. This is no big deal to make so much fuss about.
Who issued VISA to Shahrukh and other Indians having Khan Surname? If the US has so many problems with these surnames, why they are issuing VISA to these persons?

US immigration officer or an average American doesn’t know who is Shahrukh khan. I agree to this point.
But a security officer at the airport or US immigration officer must have an idea about the Defence Minister of India (George Fernandes). How can be a Defense Minister of India can be a security threat to US?
The answer is simple take some cue from people like Somnath Chaterjee and George Fernandes; don’t travel to US.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Seems like a lot of :2guns: for what?
:rofl:

You think that this is a big deal. There are many US citizens all innocent being treated tis way because the whole system they use is F'ed up.

They have their "watch list" taht has so many errors it is ridiculous.

How about this for some laughs.
Ok this is from 2005 but has the system really changed? I doubt it.

USATODAY.com - Babies caught up in 'no-fly' confusion

Babies caught up in 'no-fly' confusion
By Leslie Miller, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Infants have been stopped from boarding planes at airports throughout the U.S. because their names are the same as or similar to those of possible terrorists on the government's "no-fly list."

It sounds like a joke, but it's not funny to parents who miss flights while scrambling to have babies' passports and other documents faxed.

Ingrid Sanden's 1-year-old daughter was stopped in Phoenix before boarding a flight home to Washington at Thanksgiving.

"I completely understand the war on terrorism, and I completely understand people wanting to be safe when they fly," Sanden said. "But focusing the target a little bit is probably a better use of resources."

The government's lists of people who are either barred from flying or require extra scrutiny before being allowed to board airplanes grew markedly since the Sept. 11 attacks. Critics including the American Civil Liberties Union say the government doesn't provide enough information about the people on the lists, so innocent passengers can be caught up in the security sweep if they happen to have the same name as someone on the lists.

That can happen even if the person happens to be an infant like Sanden's daughter. (Children under 2 don't need tickets but Sanden purchased one for her daughter to ensure she had a seat.)

"It was bizarre," Sanden said. "I was hugely pregnant, and I was like, 'We look really threatening.'"

Sarah Zapolsky and her husband had a similar experience last month while departing from Dulles International Airport outside Washington. An airline ticket agent told them their 11-month-old son was on the government list.

They were able to board their flight after ticket agents took a half-hour to fax her son's passport and fill out paperwork.

"I understand that security is important," Zapolsky said. "But if they're just guessing, and we have to give up our passport to prove that our 11-month-old is not a terrorist, it's a waste of their time."

Well-known people like Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., and David Nelson, who starred in the sitcom "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," also have been stopped at airports because their names match those on the lists.

The government has sought to improve its process for checking passengers since the Sept. 11 attacks. The first attempt was scuttled because of fears the government would have access to too much personal information. A new version, called Secure Flight, is being crafted.

But for now, airlines still have the duty to check passengers' names against those supplied by the government. That job has become more difficult — since the 2001 attacks the lists have swelled from a dozen or so names to more than 100,000 names, according to people in the aviation industry who are familiar with the issue. They asked not to be identified by name because the exact number is restricted information.

Not all those names are accompanied by biographical information that can more closely identify the suspected terrorists. That can create problems for people who reserve flights under such names as "T Kennedy" or "David Nelson."

ACLU lawyer Tim Sparapani said the problem of babies stopped by the no-fly list illustrates some of the reasons the lists don't work.

"There's no oversight over the names," Sparapani said. "We know names are added hastily, and when you have a name-based system you don't focus on solid intelligence leads. You focus on names that are similar to those that might be suspicious."

The Transportation Security Administration, which administers the lists, instructs airlines not to deny boarding to children under 12 — or select them for extra security checks — even if their names match those on a list.

But it happens anyway. Debby McElroy, president of the Regional Airline Association, said: "Our information indicates it happens at every major airport."

The TSA has a "passenger ombudsman" who will investigate individual claims from passengers who say they are mistakenly on the lists. TSA spokeswoman Yolanda Clark said 89 children have submitted their names to the ombudsman. Of those, 14 are under the age of 2.

If the ombudsman determines an individual should not be stopped, additional information on that person is included on the list so he or she is not stopped the next time they fly.

Clark said even with the problems the lists are essential to keeping airline passengers safe.

Good luck the next time you travel to USA.

Flint

^I agree. Much to-do about nothing. The US system is rather dumb, but not worth all this fuss.

I'm sure Shah Rukh Khan will survive the experience.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Well here i would just like to say one thing , as America is waging wars in Muslim countries and is actively involved since the early 60's and back regimes and warlords , this is why american adm Equate Muslims as the only terrorists .

They are various christian terrorists all over the world but who cares as the real killings are going on in Muslim world , thats why Muslims are in the limelight and victims are shown as culprits and because of this only these wars can be waged . Europeans and Russians are way good in this matter compare to the Americans .
Dude......when was the last time you ever heard of a christian suicide bomber, or for that matter a Buddhist or Hindu or Jain or Sikh suicide bomber. With the exception of the LTTE suckers, this is a field dominated exclusively by young Muslim men.

Do you see Pakistani Christian minority who were burnt out of their homes recently in Gohra doing suicide bombings ??

Go back and do a recent study of history and look at the number of potential terrorist attacks that were foiled by British and American intelligence in the last 5 years. Then check and see where these busted suspects came from ??

natarajan

usa has put us in watch list for religious violence
our government should give befitting reply if anyone from usa advices to look after their business but is our netas has guts to do that????????:2guns:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
usa has put us in watch list for religious violence
our government should give befitting reply if anyone from usa advices to look after their business but is our netas has guts to do that????????:2guns:
Dude you are getting emotional. International politics and Business is to be done with emotion but not emotionally.
Just answer who is SRK and why a average american violate the protocol of his country for this guy. If he lets this guy off then he would be accountable for it.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Dude......when was the last time you ever heard of a christian suicide bomber, or for that matter a Buddhist or Hindu or Jain or Sikh suicide bomber. With the exception of the LTTE suckers, this is a field dominated exclusively by young Muslim men.

Do you see Pakistani Christian minority who were burnt out of their homes recently in Gohra doing suicide bombings ??

Go back and do a recent study of history and look at the number of potential terrorist attacks that were foiled by British and American intelligence in the last 5 years. Then check and see where these busted suspects came from ??
Seems you have never heard about the Christian militancy in North East India
which is backed by Church . Try to do some research on this . 5 days back there was an alert by Indian security forces that an Female suicide bomber from ULFA have entered in Guwahati to disturb Independence celebrations . if Western media doesnt highlight this issues then it doesnt means they dont exist . IRA ,ETA ,Farc and there are tens of outfits operating and killing people . LTTE was indeed the first to start suicide bombing according to FBI reports , they suck or not its a seperate thing .

Have u ever heard of Vietnam,Japan ? these people are Buddhists .

Here u r comparing Communal violence which exists in almost every country with a full scale war . Suicide bombings normally occurs in those countries who are facing wars , Suicide bombing are not any new idea , we have all heard about them in Japan ,germany,Vietnam ,South Korea ,Sri Lanka,Iraq,Afghanistan .

Now In Britian and America a new problem is emerging

Police probe global right-wing terror ring
Gulfnews: Police probe global right-wing terror ring

amitkriit

this incident was shameful, but comment of some of our own gvt. officials was more shameful when they said that Airport authorities in USA must show some restraint when dealing with high-profile people like SRK, and APJ. I smell "Laal Batti" syndrome here.

natarajan

srk issue cannot be taken serious as we are cinema fanatics it may appear as major issue but they should not have treated our hon.apj like that

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
this incident was shameful, but comment of some of our own gvt. officials was more shameful when they said that Airport authorities in USA must show some restraint when dealing with high-profile people like SRK, and APJ. I smell "Laal Batti" syndrome here.
In real American authorities should changed thier attitude while dealing with not only high profile people but even with ordinary civilians of other countries and stop religious profiling . its damaging its image alot but instead of accepting this , americans would talk abt national security while forgetting the role of thier governments played around the world .

amitkriit

USA doesn't have a VIP culture, like in India, where a Member of Parliament can force Trains/Aircrafts to change schedules and VIP's son-in-law can be exempted from frisking at airports. In USA they follow same rule for all, except for President, ex. Presidents and Cabinet Ministers. I agree that religious/racial profiling must stop, but we must also appreciate USA's resolve to protect it's citizens from any unfortunate incident, no matter what, SRK is big for us, not for them. As far as I could understand, nothing done by CBP officials at airport was in violation of protocol, neither did they overstep their authority. Its better to make a few "so called important" people angry, than being nice even at the risk of imperiling security.

I really doubt if Americans will ever complain if they are subjected to such security checks in India, so we must expect that even if this is done, this won't make a news.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles