Sri Lanka's Killing Fields

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You can see the documentary by clicking the following link:

Sri Lanka's Killing Fields - 4oD - Channel 4

Sri Lanka's Killing Fields

The footage screened by Channel 4 last night ranks among the most horrific yet shown on British television. Naked prisoners shot in the head; the dead bodies of women who had been raped, dumped on a truck; the immediate aftermath of a shell landing on a hospital – images caught on mobile phones of the atrocities committed by government soldiers in the final months of Sri Lanka's brutal civil war. The story of what happened two years ago when government forces corralled hundreds of thousands of Tamils in horrific conditions into an ever-shrinking space, as they closed in the defeated Tigers, is well known. A UN panel last month found credible allegations of war crimes committed both by the Sri Lankan government and the LTTE. But the pictures of the shootings are new and Channel 4 has done what human rights organisations should have been doing in compiling and sifting through it.

The footage, shot either by escapers, or as trophy videos by soldiers committing the atrocities, is almost unwatchable. But on this occasion there are two reasons why it was right to dispense with the responsibility broadcasters have to avoid causing distress. First, the Sri Lankan government engineered a war without witness, which was why, in echoes of Srebrenica, they forced UN observers to leave first. This film atones, in small part, for the failure of the international community to make Sri Lanka accountable for these deaths. Second, the parallel with Srebrenica is only too real. As the UN panel reveals, the shelling of hospitals in the so-called no-fire zones was so systematic – there were 65 such attacks – that it is impossible to believe it was random. One shelling took place after a Red Cross official supplied the GPS co-ordinates to the Sri Lankan authorities, a procedure meant to avoid such shellings.

The targeting of civilians is a war crime. If proved, these charges go right up the chain of command of Sri Lanka's military and government. If Iran stands condemned for killing hundreds in the wake of the June 2009 election, if Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic now face justice in The Hague, if Bashar al-Assad faces UN sanctions for an assault that has killed 1,300 Syrians, how it is that President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his brother, the defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa, escape all censure, after over 40,000 civilians were killed?

That the LTTE assassinated presidents and invented the suicide belt, that the Tigers used civilians as human shields, is no defence from the charge that Sri Lankan soldiers summarily executed prisoners in their custody. Sri Lanka is trying to pretend these events are history, as the economy and tourism pick up. They are not. This evidence has to be faced.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhramos

Country flag
hi bro, please this video is banned in UK,
do have any other version???????

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
hi bro, please this video is banned in UK,
do have any other version???????
banned ? it was shown on national channel in uk itself.

try the channel 4 link ive posted in the op or youtube because only these two sites so far have the documentary.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am feeling very uncomfortable after watching those Girls ***** and Murdered..

Srilankan Army is nothing less than the Rebels in Congo Raping 200 woman and Children....

UN is same as it is in Africa !

R I P ..

Adux

Country flag
Murdering, Raping Motherfucking bastards, I have always supported the Lankans over LTTE, Nuke them, Nuke the bastards! Inhuman fucks! Tamil Power!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Murdering, Raping Motherfucking bastards, I have always supported the Lankans over LTTE, Nuke them, Nuke the bastards! Inhuman fucks! Tamil Power!
LTTE is no good, Its not Tamil vs someone but what i just watched is the raping of word humanity..

I seriously didn't expect Srilankan Army this ******* ........

Its the people the unarmed men suffered now its Tamils or Lankans..

mayfair

Shame on SLA for this most inhuman and barbaric treatment of their own countrymen and for what? A Pyrrhic victory?

Shame on LTTE who dragged millions into an unwanted and senseless war that destroyed families, generations and the nation

Shame on the SL polity (Sinhala, Tamil and Muslim) who left their people to the dogs

Shame on India who kept quite while this genocide went on

Shame on the international community for the very same reason.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Last time there was a genocide in the Subcontinent, over 2 million Bengalis died before India intervened.

How many Tamils will have to die before we intervene in this disgusting country?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
How many Tamils will have to die before we intervene in this disgusting country?

May be never..

Indian Gov had knowledge of every move, Raw was active in the war giving Intel to Lankans abt LTTE positions..

plugwater

And now who will give intel to us ? We can bomb them from the air but invading SL is entirely different thing, They will rape us tbh.

Country flag
President JR Jayawardane was the one who was asking for help when he feared he might not be in power or in the world much longer, after signing the accord with Rajiv Gandhi 2 months earlier.

plugwater

President JR Jayawardane was the one who was asking for help when he feared he might not be in power or in the world much longer, after signing the accord with Rajiv Gandhi 2 months earlier.
I ain't talking about the past LF, I don't want us to invade them now.

Country flag
I ain't talking about the past LF, I don't want us to invade them now.
we won't invade but Sri Lanka did not do a good thing they may think LTTE and Tamils are gone but they may come back stronger than ever. LTTE is close to being taken of EU's terrorist organization list and there are many Tamils in USA,Canada,UK and other places who are more committed than ever.

http://www.tamilnewsnetwork.com/2011/06/07/ltte-attempts-to-de-list-from-eu-terror-list/

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/18/outside-sri-lanka-tamil-diaspora-not-ready-to-surrender/

Outside Sri Lanka, Tamil Diaspora Not Ready to Surrender

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles