Sri Lanka to sell 80 percent of southern Hambantota port to Chinese firm

HeinzGud

Country flag
Unfortunately Lanka, took loans from China. Now it's time to repay them. I believe that hambantota port fate is sealed in the hands of China...

I am just thinking of near Impossible scenario, but is this going to save Hambantota from the hands of Iron brother...

India's main aim is to put PLAN out of IOR...

Sirisena will gain respect in Lanka if he could stop Hambantota going into Chinese hands...

Here is the Cherry on top, Hambantota is beginning of Chinese take over of colonization of Sri Lanka. Out of $8 billion loan Hambantota worth is $1.5 billion....

Sirisena comes to India for help....
India gives loan of $8 billion to Lanka at 0.25% interest and failure of repaying 51% loan within 5yrs of time, we'll take lease if Hambantota port till repayment of loan...

My question is if Lanka goes to China and gives this 8 billion and says get lost... Is it going to end Lanka China debt issues...
Sirisena can't do much in Sri Lanka now a days. He's as good as a ceremonial president now a days. Ranil W wields the real political power in Sri Lanka. He has decided to sell the port to the Chinese. I don't think Sirisena can oppose it now. More over people don't take Sirisena seriously now.

And about the loan. It's not $8 billion. It's actually around $1.5 billion mark.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
US could easily stop any Chinese incursion in pak. USA just has to support an independent Baluchistan and it will be the end of pak and China homo love fest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is why they are involving Russia .......................

HeinzGud

Country flag
@HeinzGud - Beyond all the anger that you have.

Face the facts.

a) You like Rajapakse.
b) You dont like India
c) You are sinhalese who does not like the Tamil Minority.
d) You are willing to cut your nose to spite India.

But, seriously, what do you think will happen?
Well,

a) Yes I do.
b) No I do like India
c) I do like Tamil minority. I don't like the separatist elements who ask for a bogus homeland.
d) No I don't

Let us take the best case scenario for you.
a) Rajapakse becomes the PM. He gets the ports back. What does that mean? Do you seriously think, common people in Sri Lanka will actually enjoy bigger chinese presence as they slowly take over your jobs, your life and finally the Buddhist culture.
No one in Sri Lanka likes both Indian and Chinese presence in Sri Lanka. We only took loans to develop our country where no one else was willing to help us. That is the soft spot we have with China. I don't think China is a threat to the Buddhism as with India. The only threat to Buddhism is through Islam.

So, what exactly are you fighting for? LTTE is dead. Your children and grand children will not grow up hating the tamils as much as you do.
Tamils should accept who they are. They should let go of the bogus claim they had about a mythical separate homeland.

And, for all the chatter and brash, India is a big country. Democracy has made it give up focus for some time. But, today, your leverage will only go down.

Just remember Belgium in the 1st world war. They were responsible for the war, not archduke ferdinand assasination. In this case, do you seriously expect, china and US to send aircraft carriers for you. Do you think an Agni-V missile on shanghai is worth a small island?
India can't fight with any one except the Muslims cuz they are dumb. Sri Lanka has no worries about the Indian threats. India can't flex it's military mussel. Because if they do, Pakistan can use the same excuse to get what they want from India. I don't think Indian policy makers would like the idea of that.

Even the Norwegians are not that happy with you. (LTTE)
Who cares about Norwegians. We gave them the finger. You should do the same. They are good for nothing.

The current Govt in India is the best chance you have for growth in Sri Lanka. Because, the opposition will push for shrinking Buddhism and increasing christianity across the area.
Now, we could forget century old rivalries and work to be treated as 1st class citiziens worldwide, or, you could be fighting 500 years later for "why did that Tamil boy steal my pencil?".

See..Our DNAs are similar. We are proud people, arrogant , not very different actually. You surely understand, Give respect and take it. Have a discussion and learn. is it that difficult?
Sri Lanka sure respects India unless of course they don't meddle with internal affairs of Sri Lanka. That is non of India's business.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
US could easily stop any Chinese incursion in pak. USA just has to support an independent Baluchistan and it will be the end of pak and China homo love fest.

They do not want to venture into pakistan, what ever usa wants in pakistan, china will do that.

HeinzGud

Country flag
We have two options

1. Buy out Lanka from Chinese Loan clutches, leave the Hambantota port to Lanka to gain trust of Lanka people, buy Media of Lanka and spread fear in such a way that if China ever gives loan to Lanka then it is to impose higher interest rates and steal Hambantota

2. Make things crystal clear to Lanka and China that if we find Hambantota being used to support PLAN anyway, in future conflict with China Hambantota is our first target

First option is less likely to happen we may only hope for second one
No. I don't think India can paint a good image on it self among Sinhalese community. The distrust of India has being fuled for more than 30 years now. However, India can gain the Sinhalese trust only if they come hard on demands of Tamilnadu over Sri Lanka. Which I doubt will happen.

Sri Lankans understand Indian concern over Chinese presence in Sri Lanka. We also don't need to take unnecessary risk with Chinese.

indiazain

Country flag

Hoping that trump does something like that not just with China but also middle east including specially uae saudi and Qatar

HeinzGud

Country flag
there is no American base in Lanka = this is our achievement .
Their going to have a base if you let Tamils create a Tamil eelam in Sri Lanka. Don't you realize that? Don't you realize why US is hell bent to help the Tamils of Sri Lanka. If, Tamils get the Tamil eelam. US will create military bases in both Trincomalee and Hambantota.

Flame Thrower

No. I don't think India can paint a good image on it self among Sinhalese community. The distrust of India has being fuled for more than 30 years now. However, India can gain the Sinhalese trust only if they come hard on demands of Tamilnadu over Sri Lanka. Which I doubt will happen.

Sri Lankans understand Indian concern over Chinese presence in Sri Lanka. We also don't need to take unnecessary risk with Chinese.
GoI just spoke with Taiwan and irritated China, just to show that if you can enter our backyard we'll do the same

If GoI is ready to mess with China on Taiwan issues, just imagine what it will do with Lanka

@HeinzGud just imagine the how pissed off GoI is... It spoke to Taiwan...

Any idea when Hambantota agreement is going to be signed....

Lanka can do nothing to cool down India....

It will to face wrath of India, USA and royal screwing by China...

Buddy, Rajapaksha took the risk by doing business with China and Lanka is to face consequences

DingDong

Country flag
‘Silent like rats’: Rajapaksa says India not vocal about Chinese influence in SL

Sri Lanka’s former president Mahinda Rajapaksa claimed on Thursday that India was now “silent” on growing Chinese influence in the island nation but the neighbour country was more vocal on the issue during his administration.

“All my Indian friends were shouting against me when Chinese submarines came to Colombo port. But now they are silent like rats,” he said, addressing foreign correspondents.

Asked on what basis he can claim that Indians were no longer worried about Chinese influence in Lanka, Rajapkasa said, “They were openly expressing it then.”

He said he stands opposed to the Chinese being given 15,000 acres in his hometown of Hambantota for an industrial park.

“We welcome the industrial park but 15,000 acres would be too much,” he said.

He thought India might also be waiting to see if the Trincomalee harbour or the Palaly airport in the north may be given to them by the Maithripala Sirisena government.

Rajapaksa said India, which had backed him in the war against the LTTE, was influenced by the US to work against him.

“I wanted them to come (actively support the military campaign) they did not because of the South Indian attitude,” Rajapaksa said.

Rajapaksa alleged his ouster was due to a sustained campaign by the West, India’s RAW and others that had stared two years before the 2015 January presidential election, which he called two years ahead of schedule.

:confused1:

lcafanboy

Country flag
US concerned over unsustainable financial debt burdens to Sri Lanka by China
Friday, September 08, 2017 By: ET Source Link: CLICK HERE

The US has expressed concern over the "unsustainable debt-burden" on Sri Lanka due to non- concessional loans from China.

China is investing billions of dollars in infrastructure development in Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka is struggling to repay Chinese money, and recently signed an agreement to give a state-run Chinese firm a stake in the strategic Hambantota port as a way of paying down some of that debt.

Under the USD 1.1 billion deal, the Chinese company will develop the deep-sea port of Hambantota.

"China is providing non-concessional loans that promote unsustainable debt burdens, which I think are increasingly now of concern to the Sri Lankan people in the government," Alice Wells, Acting Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs told a Congressional subcommittee yesterday during a hearing on South Asia.

The US has notably reduced its assistance to Sri Lanka by 92 per cent.

"In Sri Lanka, we're the largest grant provider of assistance. China is providing non-concessional loans that promote unsustainable debt burdens, which I think are increasingly now of concern to the Sri Lankan people in the government. But what we bring to our relationship are multiple tools," she said.

While there has been a significant percentage reduction in US aid to Sri Lanka, Wells said the US is using its tools to reinforce a message of reform, and to bring Sri Lanka into a space where they too will institutionalise the principles of the Indo-Pacific -- freedom of navigation, transparency, non- militarisation humanitarian assistance and disaster relief at its core.
http://www.defencenews.in/article/U...ial-debt-burdens-to-Sri-Lanka-by-China-313690

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Sri lanka needs to be :brahmos::brahmos::brahmos: fied
Sri Lanka, Nepal, Myanmar and Bhutan are 4 countries that have to stand with us. Bangladesh will remain with us only until Haseena stays in power. Once she's gone, they will be just be Pakistan 2.0.

Lanka needs a new stronger alternative.

Can't RAW cultivate a smaller political party to gain influence there?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles