Sri Lanka ready to give land and police powers

pmaitra

How can we trust TNA due to their past track record?? What is your garantee that Tamils will be ready to intrigate after the predecided time period?? What if they decided to be part of India during the pre-decided time?? Who's gonna stop them?? So don't talk rubbish and post something we both can agree upon!
India does not want to cause harm to the territorial integrity of Sri Lanka. However, Sri Lanka's flirtations with PRC could harm India. We are aware that you have a fear of Tamil dominated areas seceding. If Sri Lanka's actions hurt India, you have my trust that India will return the favour. Till then, India will honour the external boundaries of Sri Lanka.

That should work in US but not in SL.

Current police structure is good with more Tamil policemen in Tamil majority areas!
Current police structure is not bad. However, confidence building measures will have to be taken. Police can be a state subject. It works. Even J&K Police is a state subject of the State of J&K. They are fighting and giving their lives for the country. Trust is a two way traffic and you have to take some calculated risks. Take no risk, keep status quo, have no gain, ... keep the troubles seething.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Current police structure is not bad. However, confidence building measures will have to be taken. Police can be a state subject. It works. Even J&K Police is a state subject of the State of J&K. They are fighting and giving their lives for the country. Trust is a two way traffic and you have to take some calculated risks. Take no risk, keep status quo, have no gain, ... keep the troubles seething.
Confidence?? Yeah we can talk confidence with people who understand confidence but TNA don't! They ask police powers to hurt the SLG more!

noob101

I guess you are not aware of the behind the scene roles payed by some powerful western countries and the SU during the cold war.
Most people are not aware of the influence those countries had over internal politics.

Tomorrow if a single party govt comes to power state govts could easily be dismissed by misuse of article 356, or some new amendments to the constitution.
This way democracy at the state level can be subverted.

Like I said earlier in any diverse country, unitarism is not Democracy but purely majoritarianism.
Yes i am aware of the role that they played... but my point is the west just wants a so called "peace" in SL, No one in the west wants to hear about suicide bombings or genocide but don't care about the deprivation of political rights of the Tamils.... Cold war is over now everything in the west is seen through the lens of 9/11... US, UK have no qualms about supporting brutal regimes as long as they promise to keep the terrorists at bay while doing whatever they want with the local population....

Like I said there needs to be a change in the Nationalist parties that are in SLG right now for the benefit of the Tamil people and I don't see any of that pressure coming from the west.

Param

Yes i am aware of the role that they played... but my point is the west just wants a so called "peace" in SL, No one in the west wants to hear about suicide bombings or genocide but don't care about the deprivation of political rights of the Tamils.... Cold war is over now everything in the west is seen through the lens of 9/11... US, UK have no qualms about supporting brutal regimes as long as they promise to keep the terrorists at bay while doing whatever they want with the local population....

Like I said there needs to be a change in the Nationalist parties that are in SLG right now for the benefit of the Tamil people and I don't see any of that pressure coming from the west.
In India the various ethno-linguistic groups enjoy Federalism thanks to the idea of state Govts.The system is working fine.

In SL their ethic and linguistic minorities should also have similar rights.(their own state govt with limited powers) PERIOD

HeinzGud

Country flag
In India the various ethno-linguistic groups enjoy Federalism thanks to the idea of state Govts.The system is working fine.

In SL their ethic and linguistic minorities should also have similar rights.(their own state govt with limited powers) PERIOD
Sri Lankan government has given so many rights to minority parties to govern itself what more they want??? and Why??

Federalism is good to unite divided nationalities but in SL there's no divided nationality! (in SL Tamil in not a nationality)

pmaitra

Federalism is good to unite divided nationalities but in SL there's no divided nationality! (in SL Tamil in not a nationality)
That is a problem.

If that is the attitude of most Sinhalese, then it is obvious, at least to me, that SL Tamils are simply being denied their right to cultural and linguistic preservation by refusing to recognise their separate national identity. Even Indian Parliament agreed that India is a multi-national country. Where? Has India broken up?

Please, don't try this policy of forced assimilation. It will not work and wreck havoc. If Sri Lanka deteriorates after this, Sinhalese will have no one but themselves to blame.

noob101

Sri Lankan government has given so many rights to minority parties to govern itself what more they want??? and Why??

Technically Tamils are not a nationality but they feel dont feel like Sri Lankans just for example... how many Tamils played on the SL cricket team?
the best way would be for the National government to pass a bill of rights for all people including minorities guaranteeing their rights, and the same time popular Tamil parties should denounce separatist movements. As difficult as this may be I feel the moderates form the both sides should work for...

HeinzGud

Country flag
Let's see what is nationality.....

nationality: Definition from Answers.com

1. The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
  2. A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
  3. Existence as a politically autonomous entity; national independence.
  4. National character.
  5. Nationalism.
Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A nation may refer to a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, and/or history. In this definition, a nation has no physical borders. However, it can also refer to people who share a common territory and government (for example the inhabitants of a sovereign state) irrespective of their ethnic make-up.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation#cite_note-1[/SUP]

In Sri Lanka; Tamils have a common language, culture, ethnicity and decent....... but Tamils in SL don't have a history as a sovereign nation. Hence they don't have nationality!

Param

No amount of forum debating is going to change you guys. Outside pressure, either military or diplomatic, is the only language understood.

HeinzGud

Country flag
No amount of forum debating is going to change you guys. Outside pressure, either military or diplomatic, is the only language understood.
Prove us wrong and we'll accept it! Tamils can't prove Sinhalese claims but ask for support of the Indian Bhai...... what a courage! Just for the sake Prove SL wrong!

pmaitra

Let's see what is nationality.....

nationality: Definition from Answers.com
  1. The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.
  2. A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
  3. Existence as a politically autonomous entity; national independence.
  4. National character.
  5. Nationalism.
Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A nation may refer to a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, and/or history. In this definition, a nation has no physical borders. However, it can also refer to people who share a common territory and government (for example the inhabitants of a sovereign state) irrespective of their ethnic make-up.

In Sri Lanka; Tamils have a common language, culture, ethnicity and decent....... but Tamils in SL don't have a history as a sovereign nation. Hence they don't have nationality!

No one suggested a sovereign nation. The suggestion was for an autonomous region for the Tamils within Sri Lanka.

HeinzGud

Country flag
No one suggested a sovereign nation. The suggestion was for an autonomous region for the Tamils within Sri Lanka.
I didn't say Tamils are not part of SL. I said they are not a nationality in SL. The reason is obvious. But Tamils are a nationality in India no one can reject that! There is no justifiable reason for giving a autonomous region for Tamils they have everything to govern themselves in SL!

noob101

What is the practical difference between the two? in a autonomous region how will the sinahlese people be treated?

pmaitra

What is the practical difference between the two? in a autonomous region how will the sinahlese people be treated?
Autonomous Region is meant for Tamils, so yes, the emphasis will be preservation and cultivation of Tamil culture, language, music etc., just like in the Indian States. So yes, Sinhalese in Tamil Autonomous Region (let's call it TAR), will have to use Tamil as the language of communication, but will enjoy equal rights like any other Tamil person. As simple as that. If there is any atrocities against Sinhalese minorities in TAR, people will speak out, just like people are speaking out against atrocities on Tamils.

For empowerment and fulfillment of aspirations, Sinhalese will have rest of Sri Lanka. The Tamils, on the other hand, can live the way they want in TAR.

Sri Lankan Armed Forces will have Sinhalese and Tamil soldiers and they will fight side by side and defend the nation. The same thing is working in India. Defense, Communications and Foreign policy will be centrally administered. Sri Lanka stays united, as one country, and the Tamils and Sinhalese have their boundaries with each party respecting these boundaries and living side-by-side peacefully.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Autonomous Region is meant for Tamils, so yes, the emphasis will be preservation and cultivation of Tamil culture, language, music etc., just like in the Indian States. So yes, Sinhalese in Tamil Autonomous Region (let's call it TAR), will have to use Tamil as the language of communication, but will enjoy equal rights like any other Tamil person. As simple as that. If there is any atrocities against Sinhalese minorities in TAR, people will speak out, just like people are speaking out against atrocities on Tamils.

For empowerment and fulfillment of aspirations, Sinhalese will have rest of Sri Lanka. The Tamils, on the other hand, can live the way they want in TAR.

Sri Lankan Armed Forces will have Sinhalese and Tamil soldiers and they will fight side by side and defend the nation. The same thing is working in India. Defense, Communications and Foreign policy will be centrally administered. Sri Lanka stays united, as one country, and the Tamils and Sinhalese have their boundaries with each party respecting these boundaries and living side-by-side peacefully.
Dude WTF???? This is the current Sri Lanka! What things missing are the autonomous region and Tamil representation in the army.

Param

Dude WTF???? This is the current Sri Lanka! What things missing are the autonomous region and Tamil representation in the army.

It is the current SL on paper.
What is wrong with Tamil representation i the army? If they are really equal citizens then they should have proportional representation in the Army.

pmaitra

If you read my post, it was the same thing as the conditions of accession of J&K to India.

You are saying that what I said is the current situation in Sri Lanka. I don't think so. J&K has it's own police force. Why have we been discussing police force all this while? Dang. No, you need to read my post again.

noob101

I dont disagree with you, I think its an idea that can work. not to be crtical of this idea of TAR but I do have some questions...

This still doesn't answer what kind of relationship that the TAR will have with the Federal government? If a TAR is created then Tamils will feel that although we seem to have a home land we are still subservient to the sinhalese dominated federal government, the Sinhalese will see it as one step away from their country from being divided.

pmaitra

I dont disagree with you, I think its an idea that can work. not to be crtical of this idea of TAR but I do have some questions...

This still doesn't answer what kind of relationship that the TAR will have with the Federal government? If a TAR is created then Tamils will feel that although we seem to have a home land we are still subservient to the sinhalese dominated federal government, the Sinhalese will see it as one step away from their country from being divided.
Not when you have both Tamils and Sinhalese in the Army, Civil Services, Pop-Music, Entertainment, Politics, Sports (Cricket), playing more or less proportional part. Just like in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles