Sri Lanka ready to give land and police powers

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Whether it is China, SL, Malaysia or my own country there is one thing common between supporters of the Unitary system. All of them are opposed to power sharing.
Trivia on the issue: Malaysia is a "federation."

Going back to Tamils, I must admit that my insight into their politics is not really substantial, but I propounded the centralisation idea since it is knee jerk reaction in situations such as this to give restive province extensive autonomy. How about keeping them tightly in the embrace of the central government and to balance the separatists impulse, make them actually feel important by actually trying to make their lives better? The point is, in this kind of issues, there's no hard and fast rule.

pmaitra

Going back to Tamils, I must admit that my insight into their politics is not really substantial, but I propounded the centralisation idea since it is knee jerk reaction in situations such as this to give restive province extensive autonomy. How about keeping them tightly in the embrace of the central government and to balance the separatists impulse, make them actually feel important by actually trying to make their lives better? The point is, in this kind of issues, there's no hard and fast rule.
AsianObserve, please don't kid me. More than 4 dozen of my relatives have been living in Malaysia since early 70s. I know what kind of laws you have. Indian laws are more egalitarian. Whether people want to move back to India or not is not the point.

prakashbioc

TNA is like LTTE. It only wants the Tamil Elam which SL will not give![/QUOTE]

Dont compare TNA with LTTE.

Compare TNA leaders including sampanthan with karunanidhi and other politicians in TN who play tamil cards for their chairs.

HeinzGud

Country flag

Ok here's the case...............

In Tamils in SL have enjoyed at least a bit of democracy (as per the view of pro-Tamil DFIans) since Independence. Then they were granted the provincial system based in on the Indian state system. Now they are asking for the land and police powers.

How exactly land and police powers gonna help them develop?? I'm just curious!

Did the Tamil business people in Colombo got rich by having any land or police powers? Did they were discriminated by Sinhalese??

This just BS by TNA.............. TNA wants the Eelam nothing more than that! They could've done a lot to their people at least for the past two years after the war. But they didn't! So how any land or police powers gone help Tamils??

pmaitra

In Tamils in SL have enjoyed at least a bit of democracy (as per the view of pro-Tamil DFIans) since Independence. Then they were granted the provincial system based in on the Indian state system. Now they are asking for the land and police powers.

How exactly land and police powers gonna help them develop?? I'm just curious!

Did the Tamil business people in Colombo got rich by having any land or police powers? Did they were discriminated by Sinhalese??

This just BS by TNA.............. TNA wants the Eelam nothing more than that! They could've done a lot to their people at least for the past two years after the war. But they didn't! So how any land or police powers gone help Tamils??
Police in India is also a State Subject. It works.

Param

SL provincial system is not comparable to Indian State system. In India Police, law and order, land, half of revenue collection and Taxation are under state control.

HeinzGud

Country flag
TNA is like LTTE. It only wants the Tamil Elam which SL will not give!

Dont compare TNA with LTTE.

Compare TNA leaders including sampanthan with karunanidhi and other politicians in TN who play tamil cards for their chairs.
You are most certainly right! Sampanthan wants to rule the Tamils just like Karunanidhi and Jayalalitha. He don't give a damn to Tamils problems.... Always opposed to the government but do not have any legitimate solution for Tamils but the land and police power request!

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
AsianObserve, please don't kid me. More than 4 dozen of my relatives have been living in Malaysia since early 70s. I know what kind of laws you have. Indian laws are more egalitarian. Whether people want to move back to India or not is not the point.
We've been in this line of discussion for a long time I think neither you and I are going to change each other's respective minds. I understand it's national pride that's at stake, not merely intellectual masturbation... so let's give it a rest.

BTW, despite the occasional rise in temperature, discussions with you have been productive. YOu are one of those who have a clean tongue, so to speak, of course except your "clueless" thing... :thumb:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Such things are generally harmful to the integrity and sovereignty of a nation. Further, once such policies are adopted, they are difficult to be reversed.

Not saying that SL Tamils should not demand them, just saying that Sinhalese may not want to accept them. Of course, others can pressure them and they may reluctantly accept it. But that would not be good for SL integrity and sovereignty.

And most importantly, such moves will make integration of Tamils and Sinhalese very difficult.

Of course, I understand that Tamils in SL see themselves as being genocided. And their fears and perception are justified.
The word "Integration" in Sinhalese terms means the complete destruction of the Tamil culture and imposition of Sinhala identity over them.

They can be two identities under a single country and India is a working example of it.

The only way to make them feel important is to let them rule themselves, ofcourse under the Sri Lankan constitution in such a way the overall sovereignity is not affected.

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
Police in India is also a State Subject. It works.
Yeah right.......... it works. In SL we can't even control the police under the central government imagine police under the head of PC!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Does article 370 has solved the problem of Kashmirs in Indian side??

I do not think that Indian models are credible enough to end the Tamil problem in SL. We know that in 87 India has pushed SL to accept the Provincial councils made according to the Indian states model. But did Tamil political parties had enough?? No they didn't.

The same was right for the Sanvardhna Saghas in '82, Tamils politician do not want end the ethnic problem they are profiting from it.

TNA is like LTTE. It only wants the Tamil Elam which SL will not give!
Do I sense another genocide in the making ? Another excuse for the army to run amok ? This time obliterating completely what is left over of the Tamil identity in Lanka for good ?

HeinzGud

Country flag
The word "Integration" in Sinhalese terms means the complete destruction of the Tamil culture and imposition of Sinhala identity over them.

They can be two identities under a single country and India is a working example of it.

The only way to make them feel important is to let them rule themselves, ofcourse under the Sri Lankan constitution in such a way the overall sovereignity is not affected.
Karthic you live in a dream world Sinhala and Tamil communities lived with harmony for 1000 years..... you think now Sinhalese wanna just convert Hindus into Buddhism and say there are no Tamils in SL????

So when they rule themselves they feel important.... they have Urban councils, Pradeshiya Sabha and Provincial councils and even a representation in parliament what more Tamils want to rule???

Param

So when they rule themselves they feel important.... they have Urban councils, Pradeshiya Sabha and Provincial councils and even a representation in parliament what more Tamils want to rule???
In India we too have municipal councils. That is merely local govt.

Raja Baksa promised 13+ during the war and now has backtracked.

HeinzGud

Country flag
In India we too have municipal councils. That is merely local govt.

Raja Baksa promised 13+ during the war and now has backtracked.
Local governmet is for the local people! Why Tamils wanna rule over Sinhala too just like the time of Cholas??

Raja Baksa didn't promise it but rather said consider it!

BTW why not answer my question listed in above posts!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Karthic you live in a dream world Sinhala and Tamil communities lived with harmony for 1000 years..... you think now Sinhalese wanna just convert Hindus into Buddhism and say there are no Tamils in SL????
Yes they lived peacefully when the majority did not want to impose itself on the minority...but what we see now is an ongoing effort to sinhalise the island, a bare disregard for preservation of cultural identities and a lack of democratic norms.

Let them have their autonomy under the Lankan constitution for a limited , pre-decided period of time, say one or two decades..Let them get their confidence/nbearings back and then talk of integration..that will be the long lasting one....What is going on now is just destruction of one identity and supplanting it with another...in other words cultural genocide.

pmaitra

Yeah right.......... it works. In SL we can't even control the police under the central government imagine police under the head of PC!
In the US, we have County Police. That works too.

When there is a will, there is a way.

I am not defending any individual in TNA. I don't know their leadership very well. However, police can definitely be a state subject.

Did you read about Article 370?

noob101

There is no hope for true democracy if the west declines. That is one of the reasons I try to defend the west very often despite the colonial injustices.
I don't agree with what you say ... take for example India despite a troubled past minorities enjoy a great degree of political freedom... I don't think the west will come to the aid of Tamils in Sri Lanka as they don't really have any interest in the issue... I can see India intervene in this matter as it is in India's interest of regional security...

Also many are quick to point out that the demands of the Tamil leadership are too extreme and not possible, but until there an equal amount of change in the hardline nationalist parties that make up the SLG. In my opinion there also has to be a shift in the grass roots level of the sinhalese and tamil people.... moderate Tamil leaders should become mainstream

HeinzGud

Country flag
Yes they lived peacefully when the majority did not want to impose itself on the minority...but what we see now is an ongoing effort to sinhalise the island, a bare disregard for preservation of cultural identities and a lack of democratic norms.
This is your BS why not open your eyes and see! Ok give me one example about the Sinhalization of SL! Don't forget Sinhala culture is nurtured by Tamil culture therefore Sinhalese can't just erase the Tamil culture from SL even if they like!

Let them have their autonomy under the Lankan constitution for a limited , pre-decided period of time, say one or two decades..Let them get their confidence/nbearings back and then talk of integration..that will be the long lasting one....What is going on now is just destruction of one identity and supplanting it with another...in other words cultural genocide.
How can we trust TNA due to their past track record?? What is your garantee that Tamils will be ready to intrigate after the predecided time period?? What if they decided to be part of India during the pre-decided time?? Who's gonna stop them?? So don't talk rubbish and post something we both can agree upon!

In the US, we have County Police. That works too.

When there is a will, there is a way.

I am not defending any individual in TNA. I don't know their leadership very well. However, police can definitely be a state subject.

Did you read about Article 370?
That should work in US but not in SL.

Current police structure is good with more Tamil policemen in Tamil majority areas!

Param

I don't agree with what you say ... take for example India despite a troubled past minorities enjoy a great degree of political freedom... I don't think the west will come to the aid of Tamils in Sri Lanka as they don't really have any interest in the issue... I can see India intervene in this matter as it is in India's interest of regional security...
I guess you are not aware of the behind the scene roles payed by some powerful western countries and the SU during the cold war.
Most people are not aware of the influence those countries had over internal politics.

Tomorrow if a single party govt comes to power state govts could easily be dismissed by misuse of article 356, or some new amendments to the constitution.
This way democracy at the state level can be subverted.

Like I said earlier in any diverse country, unitarism is not Democracy but purely majoritarianism.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles