Sri Lanka Opens $500 Million Port Terminal Built by China

SamwiseTheBrave

Are you calling for India to surprise attack Sri Lankan ports if they allow Chinese naval ships to dock in peacetime?
since you so love to play mr.semantics lets dive into the words here shall we ? you asked if the ports are large enough to "service" your nuke subs & A/C`s, the key word being "service" - which would only be required when some damage has occured. which in turn happens when there is an armed conflict and if this conflict harmed indian interests, directly or indirectly, it implies that SL ports are actively aiding & abetting the Naval forces of a hostile power. Ergo, my words just say that ALL options and possibilities are on the table, SU30`s being one of them. you my friend have just have been Lawyered !

t_co

since you so love to play mr.semantics lets dive into the words here shall we ? you asked if the ports are large enough to "service" your nuke subs & A/C`s, the key word being "service" - which would only be required when some damage has occured. which in turn happens when there is an armed conflict and if this conflict harmed indian interests, directly or indirectly, it implies that SL ports are actively aiding & abetting the Naval forces of a hostile power. Ergo, my words just say that ALL options and possibilities are on the table, SU30`s being one of them. you my friend have just have been Lawyered !
Servicing does not imply that damage has occurred (ships get serviced all the time for things as mundane as removing barnacles to as complex as reloading cruise missiles and nuclear reactor refueling), nor does the occurrence of damage imply armed conflict has happened (c.f. ship-to-ship collisions, accidents, etc.)

You should go and study the vocabulary of maritime law sometime before making yourself seem like an idiot.

SamwiseTheBrave

Servicing does not imply that damage has occurred (ships get serviced all the time for things as mundane as removing barnacles to as complex as reloading cruise missiles and nuclear reactor refueling), nor does the occurrence of damage imply armed conflict has happened (c.f. ship-to-ship collisions, accidents, etc.)

You should go and study the vocabulary of maritime law sometime before making yourself seem like an idiot.
you are so boringly predictable - I had a feeling you`d come back on the definition of the word "service" why else do you think i made it the operative word ? :p
let me remind you that the context here is about servicing PLAN assests at a SRI LANKAN port. thats what we were talking about, remember ?
of all the possible "Servicing Scenarios" possible, things like reloading of cruise missiles and nuclear reactor refuelling will certainly be hostile to Indian interests.
the fact that SL ports will have interactions with military assests is already a red flag and is certain to invite reciprocal response(s).

unless of course your nuke subs are coated in "barnacles" or the PLAN Aircraft Carrier gets damaged in a ship to ship collision :rofl:

your move.

t_co

you are so boringly predictable - I had a feeling you`d come back on the definition of the word "service" why else do you think i made it the operative word ? :p
let me remind you that the context here is about servicing PLAN assests at a SRI LANKAN port. thats what we were talking about, remember ?
of all the possible "Servicing Scenarios" possible, things like reloading of cruise missiles and nuclear reactor refuelling will certainly be hostile to Indian interests.
the fact that SL ports will have interactions with military assests is already a red flag and is certain to invite reciprocal response(s).

unless of course your nuke subs are coated in "barnacles" or the PLAN Aircraft Carrier gets damaged in a ship to ship collision :rofl:

your move.
The thing is, though, servicing the ships of a nation with which India is currently not at war with (China) is not a justifiable casus belli under any circumstance, so SL can do whatever it would like with the PLAN in peacetime and India would have no recourse other than to shout on an internet forum.

Basically - nations do things hostile to each other's interests all the time, but they are not allowed to go to war over all of them.

Of course if India wants to behave like North Korea or Israel, it certainly has the de facto (not de jure) option to do so. Whether that would accomplish India's goals is another matter entirely...

SamwiseTheBrave

The thing is, though, servicing the ships of a nation with which India is currently not at war with (China) is not a justifiable casus belli under any circumstance, so SL can do whatever it would like with the PLAN in peacetime and India would have no recourse other than to shout on an internet forum.

Basically - nations do things hostile to each other's interests all the time, but they are not allowed to go to war over all of them.

Of course if India wants to behave like North Korea or Israel, it certainly has the de facto (not de jure) option to do so. Whether that would accomplish India's goals is another matter entirely...
this is where you do betray your ignorance....when you say "india has no options other than to shout at internet forums".... ports are busy places and i`m sure PLAN assets are state-of-the-art and incredibly complex machines.... you never really know what goes wrong where and when in all the complexity right ? its nobodys claim that SL ports will be attaced in peactime just as its a false argument to say "there are no other options". all i`m saying is that China should move wisely and realize the costs and risks of its actions as well - both for itself and other newly "minted" allies.

Kito

Sri Lanka accepts China's presence in Indian Ocean.
China needs some country in the Indian Ocean to get the facilities they want. They have two options, Maldives and Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka is the perfect location to get their needs, that's why they invest much in that country.
China has gain a lot of things silently in SL.

These days China is building a Satellite ground control centre in Sri Lanka...

SamwiseTheBrave

Sri Lanka accepts China's presence in Indian Ocean.
China needs some country in the Indian Ocean to get the facilities they want. They have two options, Maldives and Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka is the perfect location to get their needs, that's why they invest much in that country.
China has gain a lot of things silently in SL.

These days China is building a Satellite ground control centre in Sri Lanka...
That is the key task before India`s strategic thinkers and milplanners.... how do you ensure Sri Lanka does not find China`s presence acceptable and get them back in India`s orbit. it really gets my goat when we let such obvious blunders occur , and makes me ask whose heads exactly in the MEA should be rolling right now !

t_co

this is where you do betray your ignorance....when you say "india has no options other than to shout at internet forums".... ports are busy places and i`m sure PLAN assets are state-of-the-art and incredibly complex machines.... you never really know what goes wrong where and when in all the complexity right ? its nobodys claim that SL ports will be attaced in peactime just as its a false argument to say "there are no other options". all i`m saying is that China should move wisely and realize the costs and risks of its actions as well - both for itself and other newly "minted" allies.
If India ever got caught sabotaging PLAN ships in the ports of a third party, it would make India look both clumsy and emotionally stunted - of course, given that India already looks that way to SL, I'm not sure if that consideration really counts as a risk

SamwiseTheBrave

If India ever got caught sabotaging PLAN ships in the ports of a third party, it would make India look both clumsy and emotionally stunted - of course, given that India already looks that way to SL, I'm not sure if that consideration really counts as a risk
you`re opinionating again and being liberal with adjectives rather than addressing the issue at hand. do try to use rational, logical arguments once in a while. such actions are countervalue intelligence ops - there were plenty of incidents of sabotage which became public news during the cold war, and I dont think it made any country look "clumsy and emotionally stunted" (jeez where do you even come up with such words :D). and what you say as SL actually refers to the rajapakse clan, which is currently in power but is not assured of lasting there forever. after all, the eternal sea of politics goes on churning forever.... and the Indian landmass isnt going anywhere in a hurry.

CCTV

. Ergo, my words just say that ALL options and possibilities are on the table, SU30`s being one of them. you my friend have just have been Lawyered !
Do you know what option will China put on the table? Eg. Launch a full scale attack could be one of them.

t_co

you`re opinionating again and being liberal with adjectives rather than addressing the issue at hand. do try to use rational, logical arguments once in a while. such actions are countervalue intelligence ops - there were plenty of incidents of sabotage which became public news during the cold war, and I dont think it made any country look "clumsy and emotionally stunted" (jeez where do you even come up with such words :D). and what you say as SL actually refers to the rajapakse clan, which is currently in power but is not assured of lasting there forever. after all, the eternal sea of politics goes on churning forever.... and the Indian landmass isnt going anywhere in a hurry.
Are you suggesting China and India are engaged in a Cold War on the scale and intensity of the US and the Soviet Union?

Not even China and the US today engage in 'active measures' against each other's military units. The only nations which still play at that game on an active basis are the Saudis, Israelis, and Iranians, as they work to cut up the Arab world between themselves, and Pakistan.

As an Indian, you should be grateful India doesn't have enemies or adversaries which it needs to act against at that level yet, Pakistan notwithstanding. Sabotaging Chinese ships or stoking ethnic strife in SL if the PLAN starts refueling and rearming out of SL ports would create such an adversary. Is that desirable?

t_co

Again, India could very, very simply dissuade China from turning SL into naval base - make a grand bargain with China and enact an ironclad guarantee for Chinese merchant shipping through the IOR no matter what happens between China and the US, and China would be happy to turn the IOR over to the Indian Navy to manage...

bose

Country flag
Again, India could very, very simply dissuade China from turning SL into naval base - make a grand bargain with China and enact an ironclad guarantee for Chinese merchant shipping through the IOR no matter what happens between China and the US, and China would be happy to turn the IOR over to the Indian Navy to manage...
China do not have any GUTS to come out of South China Sea.... No dealings with Back stabbers...

bose

Country flag
Well, we have guts to teach you lessons.
Then why ran away like a dog with your tails between your legs??? and comming back crying that please give back our land ??? Do you have a guts to take what you call yourself ??

Chinese are guts less COWARDS ... Try teaching lessions to Japanese first... Shameless people even after your women got raped repeatedly have no shame in doing business with Japanese....

CCTV

Then why ran away like a dog with your tails between your legs??? and comming back crying that please give back our land ??? Do you have a guts to take what you call yourself ??

Chinese are guts less COWARDS ... Try teaching lessions to Japanese first... Shameless people even after your women got raped repeatedly have no shame in doing business with Japanese....

1. Yeah, ran away with about 4000 indian POWs and lots of captured weapons.
2. If you read news, you should know we are giving lesson to Japan right now.
3. I bet you are using a made in China computer.

Last edited:

bose

Country flag
1. Yeah, ran away with about 4000 POW and captured weapons.
South Tibet / AP is still with us .... When saw the Americans sending arms and you lost you will to fight??? If you have really won the war then why not stay there and defends what you called yours... Typical Coward Chinese...

2. If you read news, you should know we are giving lesson to Japan right now.

I hope I do not need to remind you of NANJIN again and again... first do something to get rid of that Collective National Shame !! then come back...else keep your mouth shut...

3. I bet you are using a made in China computer.
Typical Chinese IQ !!! India makes better computers than those illegal shitty Chinese copies...

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles