Sri Lanka cancels on-arrival visa for Pakistan

thethinker

Country flag

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Being a Pakistani abroad
'Where are you from?' is generally the first question people here in the Emirates will ask you. That is because with people from over a 100 nationalities settled in the UAE, this is quite literally, the melting pot of cultures – (melting pot of course would also refer to soaring mercury levels!)

When you meet people through work, or friends or merely at the park or at a mosque and if you do strike a friendship, this question, like I said features quite early in the conversation. The other day, I met a girl at the mosque and when I asked where she was from, she said, "I was born and bred in the UAE and have been here all my life." I could easily make out that she wasn't a local Emarati, so I wondered aloud if she was in fact a local. To this the girl replied abashedly and almost grinding her teeth, "Well, my parents hail from Pakistan, but I've never really lived there," she added defensively. So the girl was a Pakistani herself, because as is common knowledge, Arab countries do not grant their nationality upon you even you've lived in their country for generations, or if indeed you are born on their lands.

In a place like the United States or Canada, where one does eventually receive citizenship, many Pakistanis with foreign passports refer to themselves as 'Americans' or 'Canadians'. A Pakistani woman I know who settled in Sydney a few years ago insists that she hails from Down Under. I personally don't understand this. Just because someone owns something other than that green passport, does it change their roots?

I have often come across Western educated Pakistanis who after being born and brought up in the Pakistan have left it and have settled in the US or UK. They now read Urdu with a perplexed expression on their faces, almost as though it were 'cool' to stutter whilst reading Urdu, because you 'forgot' it.

It seems mystifying at first, the fact that sometimes Pakistanis abroad do anything to conceal their nationality. It should be noted that I am not making a generalisation here as there are some Pakistanis abroad (myself amongst them) who are perfectly happy and proud of being Pakistani, and couldn't care less about what anyone would think. They read Urdu with zeal and are glad to say that they belong to Pakistan.

However, I have also encountered quite a few who seem to think being connected to the land is one of their greatest misfortunes. As we look further into this behaviour, we realise that they do have valid reasons. First after 9/11 and more recently the OBL Drama in A-bot-a-baad, Pakistanis especially in the West are looked down upon. The word 'terrorist' hovers around and a balanced person with a fairly harmless agenda in life is looked upon with scepticism. A Pakistani friend who moved to the United States from Dubai now tells anyone who asks that she is from the UAE, even domestic help she plans to hire on an hourly basis, because personal experience has taught her that saying 'Pakistani' will invite needless suspicion from just about anyone.

In the UAE, I can personally vouch for the fact that anyone who is not a local (Emarati) or a gora, is subject to some kind of prejudice, and Pakistanis too are scrutinized in a circumspect manner.

With the current situation in Pakistan, where nearly every day one wakes up to the horrifying news that there was a bomb blast in such and such place, and with our infamous track-record, not to mention our political leaders, the wariness people sometimes feel around Pakistanis is somewhat justified. But the fact that an entire nationality is shown disrespect, for the misdeeds of a few bad eggs, is very unfortunate. These are tough times to be a Pakistani. You are stopped at the airport and questioned ruthlessly, you are looked down upon in other countries and the word terrorist seems to be on everyone's mind.

One wistfully thinks of how wonderful it would be if being Pakistani was once more considered a privilege rather than an unlucky aberration. This land was acquired with lots of hard work and struggles by honourable men and women. Cynicism, I realize is a staple in our people but the fact is that we need to believe, in ourselves and in our country. We as the youth need to know that Pakistan, with its indomitable spirit may yet rise again, and that it is us who can make a real difference.

Mehmudah Rehman is a Dubai-based freelance writer who blogs at Ummanaal's Musings.
Being a Pakistani abroad - Blogs - DAWN.COM
By going through this one really feels sorry for the Pakistanis.

Even Arabs and co-religionist countries are suspicious of them and keep them at an arm's distance.

Now even their staunch ally Ceylon has told them to bug off.

Just not cricket, if you ask me.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I'm surprised that Sri-Lankans had 'Visa-on-Arrival' for Pakistanis till now.
Well .. better late than never.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Don't twist my words, we are not exporting terrorism to Sri Lanka or elsewhere. State to state relationship is strong and whatever budhists are doing to muslims is their internal peoblem. They dudn't cancel military cooperation with us, did they?
Yeah Pakistan has the global theka of what happens between Hindus and Muslims in India only.
But what happens between Buddhists and Muslims in Sri-Lanka is their internal problem.
What happens between Uighurs and Hans in China also, (no prize for guessing) ... is their internal problem. :tsk:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Don't twist my words, we are not exporting terrorism to Sri Lanka or elsewhere. State to state relationship is strong and whatever budhists are doing to muslims is their internal peoblem. They dudn't cancel military cooperation with us, did they?
What Buddhists are doing to Muslims is internal matter of SL but every minor incident that happens in India is the concern of Pakis. Oh even the Rohingyas issue was concern of Pak. Why only in SL's case is it an internal matter?

Reactions: Ray

Neo

We love to preach?? Bera- ther pls look into the last 90 % terror activities around the world . Pakistan is involved one way or other
Some preach, others bark...its all the same.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What Buddhists are doing to Muslims is internal matter of SL but every minor incident that happens in India is the concern of Pakis. Oh even the Rohingyas issue was concern of Pak. Why only in SL's case is it an internal matter?
and Pakistan did nothing for the Rohingyas even though they think, as Blackwater so succinctly states, want to be the thekedars for worldwide Muslims!

Voldemort

Country flag
I wonder why Pakistanis feel ashamed of themselves and hide their origins. I mean, every country has unique culture and specialities and one must be proud of that. Pakistanis also are uniquely good at things like blowing themselves up, shooting at planes, making roadside bombs, spreading terror, love for goats and donkeys, etc. These are also things to be proud of!!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Some preach, others bark...its all the same.
You are right, Saudis preach and Pakistan acts with Saudi money and Wahhabi inspiration of true Islam that Pakistan has failed to deliver.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wonder why Pakistanis feel ashamed of themselves and hide their origins. I mean, every country has unique culture and specialities and one must be proud of that. Pakistanis also are uniquely good at things like blowing themselves up, shooting at planes, making roadside bombs, spreading terror, love for goats and donkeys, ects. These are also things to be proud of!!
They are not ashamed.

They are 100% Arab and as pure as the Arab thoroughbred steeds!

Neo

They are not ashamed.

They are 100% Arab and as pure as the Arab thoroughbred steeds!
From Sri Lanka visa to skin color, only possible in an Indian forum. :laugh:

Not a single country on earth including Pakistan is so obsessed with our origin, skin color or physical structure as our eastern neighbors.
When will India get over it? :laugh:

Last edited:

Voldemort

Country flag
Not a single country on earth including Pakistan is so obsessed with our origin, skin color or physical structure as our eastern neighbors.
Nobody is obsessed with your skin color or physical structure. Some only take light interest (bcos its humorous) in your sexual habits and identity crisis. :cb: :sarc:

Neo

Nobody is obsessed with your skin color or physical structure. Some only take light interest (bcos its humorous) in your sexual habits and identity crisis. :cb: :sarc:
Thanks but no thanks, keep your cheap humor to yourself snd stick to the topic.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I am surprised by your lack of knowledge, but then your textbooks sure make hate India a capital business.

Don't challenge me on that or I will produce links and extracts from scholars who have been assigned by your Govt to indicate the social ills of your education.

Rani Mukherjee is dark, so is Nandita Das and many others.

How come they became actresses and successful at that?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

\
Versatility is our name.

Not frigid fundamentalist and paying obsolescence to God all the time as if that alone is the sole salvation/

We live life fully, pay our respect for the Almighty but nor sell our souls to the clergy and lead a dour and soulless, dour existence as if that is the be all and end all.

We are no puppet on a string as you all are to your Mullah men who run havoc.

And then go killing co -religionists!

Neo

I am surprised by your lack of knowledge, but then your textbooks sure make hate India a capital business.

Don't challenge me on that or I will produce links and extracts from scholars who have been assigned by your Govt to indicate the social ills of your education.

Rani Mukherjee is dark, so is Nandita Das and many others.

How come they became actresses and successful at that?
Please.elabotate why we are discussing skin.color and.origin of Pakistanis in this thread?

Voldemort

Country flag
@Neo You brought up skin colour. So a little example from your former forum. Hoping you will enjoy....

(By a Think Tank)

Race/genetics: This Topic is Important so Please read carefully

About 70% of Pakistanis are Caucasoid by race, 20% Australoid- Negroid, and 10% Mongoloid in their overall genetic composition. Majority of Pakistanis are tall with fair skin complexion, similar to Middle Eastern and Mediterranean peoples. While the racial features of each ethnic group are not uniform, Pashtuns are the most Caucasoid, followed by Kashmiris, Baluchis, north Punjabis, and then Sindhis, Seraikis, Urdu-speakers, etc. The Australoid-Negroid and Mongoloid racial elements are quite infused within the dominant Caucasoid genes among Pakistanis, however there are some that have retained their distinct racial characteristics.

About 50% of Indians are Australoid-Negroid by race, 35% Caucasoid, and 15% Mongoloid in their overall genetic composition. Majority of Indians are darker in their skin complexion, with wider noses, shorter heights [A1Kaid: This is true, I have yet to meet a single Indian taller than me.], etc. The Australoid-Dravidoid racial element dominates among the lower caste Indians, South Indians, Eastern and Central Indians, etc. The Caucasoid racial element dominates in Northwest Indians and higher caste Indians. The Mongoloid racial element dominates in Northeast Indians and border regions with China.

Obviously, both countries have distinct racial identities. A common international perception based on observance of physical features is that most Pakistanis are lighter skinned than most Indians. Most Pakistanis resemble the looks of peoples inhabiting on its western borders and beyond. Indeed, many Pakistanis also resemble many Northwest Indians or higher caste Indians, but those are a minority in India. Similarly, a few people of Pakistan resemble peoples of South India, lower caste Indians, Northeast India, etc. but they are a minority in Pakistan. And besides, let's say, if some Saudis look similar to the French that does not make them one people, same applies here between Indians and Pakistanis.

:rofl: :clap::juggle:

For more, please visit http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...terrorist-state-pakistan-idiotic-musings.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

@Neo You brought up skin colour. So a little example from your former forum. Hoping you will enjoy....

(By a Think Tank)

Race/genetics: This Topic is Important so Please read carefully

About 70% of Pakistanis are Caucasoid by race, 20% Australoid- Negroid, and 10% Mongoloid in their overall genetic composition. Majority of Pakistanis are tall with fair skin complexion, similar to Middle Eastern and Mediterranean peoples. While the racial features of each ethnic group are not uniform, Pashtuns are the most Caucasoid, followed by Kashmiris, Baluchis, north Punjabis, and then Sindhis, Seraikis, Urdu-speakers, etc. The Australoid-Negroid and Mongoloid racial elements are quite infused within the dominant Caucasoid genes among Pakistanis, however there are some that have retained their distinct racial characteristics.

About 50% of Indians are Australoid-Negroid by race, 35% Caucasoid, and 15% Mongoloid in their overall genetic composition. Majority of Indians are darker in their skin complexion, with wider noses, shorter heights [A1Kaid: This is true, I have yet to meet a single Indian taller than me.], etc. The Australoid-Dravidoid racial element dominates among the lower caste Indians, South Indians, Eastern and Central Indians, etc. The Caucasoid racial element dominates in Northwest Indians and higher caste Indians. The Mongoloid racial element dominates in Northeast Indians and border regions with China.

Obviously, both countries have distinct racial identities. A common international perception based on observance of physical features is that most Pakistanis are lighter skinned than most Indians. Most Pakistanis resemble the looks of peoples inhabiting on its western borders and beyond. Indeed, many Pakistanis also resemble many Northwest Indians or higher caste Indians, but those are a minority in India. Similarly, a few people of Pakistan resemble peoples of South India, lower caste Indians, Northeast India, etc. but they are a minority in Pakistan. And besides, let's say, if some Saudis look similar to the French that does not make them one people, same applies here between Indians and Pakistanis.

:rofl: :clap::juggle:

For more, please visit http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...terrorist-state-pakistan-idiotic-musings.html
No you derailed the topic by mentioning Pakistanis arab origin, not me.

As for the other forum, don't.be a pussy and grow some balls and counter it there

What is the honor in mocking their posts here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles