SpaceX Successfully Lands A Giant Falcon 9 Rocket For The First Time

pmaitra

Indian defence is a closed sector where bribe will get you much farther than innovation. Do you really think private firms will invest in such a situation?

Private firms need to be backed by some guarantee for return on their investment. So, defence needs some controlled competition and some expected payoffs. Otherwise do not expect them to fund any research. Even USSR had Mikoyan vs Sukhoi to get some competitive results.
I disagree. Indian defence sector is open. If L&T can do it; if Kalyani can do it; so can many others. So far, we have seen products like artillery and components for submarine.

The problem with guarantees is not specific to private sector. Even public sector needs guarantees of long term procurement. Otherwise, they will not be able to retain their workforce. This is the reason why HAL, HVF, RFI, all have asked for firm orders for LCA, Arjun, and INSAS.

Why should the government nurture private companies? Who should the government nurture? Is there a single private company that has demonstrated the capability of R&D of anything remotely related to aerospace? Making parts based on blueprints from Boeing is not R&D. Left on thier own, they would struggle, just as much as HAL, DRDO, etc., have struggled.

The problem is Indian private companies are like a bunch worker bees. The pioneering work is done by others, while these companies get hordes of glorified labourers to tread the beaten path.

Look at the IT sector. Millions of employees, many from outside of India, years of being in business, and how many software products have come out of the private Indian IT companies?

We need pioneers, not glorified clerks. The private sector has a very long way to go to catch up.

If the government has to nurture, then the private sector has to prove it is worthy of the government investing taxpayers' money. The public sector already has a demonstrated capability.

that public sector defence companies are decades behind when it comes to innovation,

always has been and always will be,

what @Sakal Gharelu Ustad told is must be correct,

the environment required for nourishment for the manufacturing or here specifically for innovation is not present in indian govt. and the indian manufacturing or business culture,

innovation means hugh investment in r&d and indian companies not gonna invest that tremendous amount of money in such corrupt environment,

specially when indian companies are competing with world and among themselves in this world economy.
p.s.

@pmaitra

indian public defence or aerospace companies always gonna be behind when it comes to innovation because they do not require to compete with anyone in india,

and this drdo or hal only got to wait for next defence budget,
and it does not matters to them whether that defence budget is gonna more or less,

because they will get to keep their job and salary,

and only innovation what will be lag behind,

while when it comes to pvt. companies its about their survival,their jobs and salary,
so pvt. companies works fast,
because their next contract indian or foreign depends on their previous performance.
I do not agree with the assement by @Sakal Gharelu Ustad. I have welcomed private sector whenever they have come up with defence products. However, I am solidly against assuming private sector will do something better than public sector when there exists virtually no evidence of their capability as far as aerospace is concerned.

There is no dispute about competition. My point was not remotely related to competition.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Check this: https://www.quora.com/How-much-mone...ts-other-commercial-space-technology-services

I cross verified the prices for launching from other rockets having similar capabilities as the PSLV (GSLV hasn't done any commercial launching as yet). As a part of a remote sensing satellite mission project previously, I had compared launch vehicle parameters (including the launch cost) by compiling data from various directories and databases. I have shown the final table of launchers for your reference.

##########################################

But SpaceX probably uses a bigger rocket than PSLV. Btw, MOM was Rs. 450crore~$70 million and used PSLV. So the actual launch cost would be pretty low i.e. around $16 million as reported in table above.
Space X Falcon 9 again failed to land on a ship..3rd time consecutively. It will be quite some-time before it achieves the reliability of a humdrum rocket like PSLV.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/watch-spacexs-falcon-9-rocket-032415161.html?partner=CHEETAH

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles