South and West the best; rest holding India back

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by KS, Mar 24, 2011.

1. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

South and West the best; rest holding India back ​

CHENNAI: P. Chidambaram told U.S. Ambassador Timothy Roemer that India would have registered higher growth rates if the country had comprised only what are now its southern and western parts. But the Home Minister praised the Chief Ministers of Bihar, Orissa and Punjab, all of them non-Congress leaders.

He made these observations when Mr. Roemer made an “introductory” call on the Minister after arriving in 2009 as successor to David Mulford.

The two discussed several issues including counter-terrorism and intelligence cooperation, the Mumbai attacks, and the threat posed by the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).

Mr. Roemer conveyed U.S. willingness to provide geo-location technology, if India approved the presence of American personnel to work with the technology. He asked the Minister to “push harder on your side” for the approvals. Mr. Chidambaram replied that the issue was high on priorities.

But Mr. Chidambaram seems to have made the most interesting observations as the two discussed domestic political issues.

Commenting about the troubles in the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), he flagged the dangers of having “no opposition.”

“While quipping that the Congress party might take delight in the ‘implosion' of the BJP, he cautioned that [having] ‘no opposition is a curse' and could result in a ‘complacent, or, even worse, arrogant' ruling party,” Mr. Roemer wrote.

The Minister advised the Ambassador to get to know Opposition and regional party leaders, singling out the Chief Ministers of Bihar, Punjab and Orissa as being “particularly dynamic.”

He asked Mr. Roemer to meet “real people,” not just the politicians.

In passing, wrote Mr. Roemer, Mr. Chidambaram commented on the “vast disparity” between southern India — which he called “the entrepreneurial and business hub” — and the rest of the country.

“The Minister concluded that India could achieve 11-12 per cent growth if it were the South and West only, noting that the rest of the country ‘held it back'.”

Four days later, the envoy had something more to report back about Mr. Chidambaram. In a cable sent to Washington on August 25, 2009 ( 222183: secret) setting out the U.S. “goals” for Mr. Chidambaram's September 7-10, 2009 visit to New York and Washington, Mr. Roemer it was a “rare opportunity” to advance cooperation on counterterrorism and intelligence-sharing with India.

He wrote: “The Minister appears to be willing to engage on some issues that National Security Advisor (NSA) M.K. Narayanan has previously kept as his own purview. This opening may allow us to broaden our channels of communication over the long term.”

He cautioned that “we need to keep in mind, however, the rivalry between Chidambaram and NSA Narayanan, and ensure that we stay in contact with both.”

(This article is a part of the series "The India Cables" based on the US diplomatic cables accessed by The Hindu via Wikileaks.')

3. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

I really like PC as the Home minister,

but clearly this is not the right thing to say, especially to a foreign ambassador.

4. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

PC lacks teeth mate. Its the simple bitter truth. He might be an extremely educated and intelligent man in the field of finance management and economic affairs and I respect him for it; but as a Home Minister, he is too weak and shares this status with the rest of UPA top cadre: MMS, Patil & Anthony.

Now coming back to the topic, its also a bitter truth that we are 'holding' the country back; we too want to come up but we have such a$$***es in our state government that we really cannot make much progress.

5. malluowl

malluowl Regular Member

If this is the case of educated Congress politicians I wonder what will happen when the boorish BJP politicans come to power. The Wiki leaks have exposed the Indian politicians as boot licking American sycophants.

6. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Even if what he says has substance, I personally feel that all this cable business, sharing every little detail with the US, is going a bit too far. We'll have people sharing details of their favourite positions in bed next.

7. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Too much shouldn't be read in it. It only flames regional discontent. I don't know what purpose it served, becoming a part of conversation between Home minister of India and the US ambassador, it wasn't casual talk or a joke being shared after all.
    It is true that some states have progressed better and hence contributed to national income more. But that doesn't make the others any less capable. Remember, in the end its the people that matter. When leadership improves we'll have tremendous turn arounds like the one in Bihar. But people need to send the message to their politicians, choose the right ones at throne and set a motion in flow. That is what exactly happened in Bihar and that is what we should more or less repeat everywhere else - N.E. .. far north .. or other sick states (just a nomenclature).

Regards,
    Virendra

8. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

:D .... :p ........

9. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

He praised Chief Minister of Punjab?? Wow, it makes me want to not take him seriously. Hope the Punjab Akali government falls soon and gets replaced by a saner party. Hopefully the one which Manpreet Badal will most likely float on March 27th.

10. Yatharth Singh

Yatharth Singh Regular Member

See this is what the Home Ministry of India thinks about its states. Instead of making new plans, sanctioning new budgets and making new arrangements this is the comment what nation is getting from such a person who is responsible for the entire internal affairs of India. Means how can he neglect North and East. Where will the West and South get food to eat and all other dairy products.

I admit that the Northern and states of mid-east India are lagging behind in the race of modernization but the question is that who is responsible for it? Is it the fail Gov. , inefficient bureaucracy corrupt officials or the public itself for not understanding what is good and bad for them? And finally I came to a conclusion that it is the mentality of the people in these areas which is still keeping them backward. When we ask a person of Eastern Uttar Pradesh to make even a small change for the betterment in exchange of some hardwork or sometimes nothing then the replies come are, "are chodo na, jaisa chal rha hai chalne do" means "leave it, let the things happen as they used to be".

On the same time look at the Western U.P. and the entire N.C.R region, highly developed in every field including agriculture. Its not because that it is near to New Delhi but I have personally experienced these places for years and found that there people dont leave their work on others and have the guts to stand alone against the wrong.

It is we who decides our fate, but right now its about PC and now he should be questioned that what he has done for the security of metro cities after 26/11. Even the NSG hasnt been completely equipped after 3 years of the attack. So better look into your own business before pointing fingers at others.

11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

It's true.

However, let's see what makes South India tick. It's peaceful, people are educated and there is tremendous opportunity for business. Tamilnadu is on it's way to become the next Detroit. Karnataka houses Bangalore, which is the next biggest Silicon Valley after the Silicon Valley. West OTOH has risen a couple of years back because of leaders like Narendra Modi and Nitish Kumar. Orissa too is going places. But Punjab? Seriously?

Now, North and North-East. Who's to blame for all the mess there, if not successive GoI. This blame game has been going on since Independence. Nothing has changed on the ground. It started with the Congress neglecting the turmoils in J&K and NE, and is still continuing. With all due respect I have for Mr. Chidambaram - what he said is true but that does not change the course of occurrence of incidents in the last 63 years - which is GoI's apathy in running the Country and making unintelligent decisions.

12. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

allthough what he(Chidambaram's ) he telling may have be slightlly true but now if this is thinking than what must be thinking an average people from southern part of india?

13. Yatharth Singh

Its the same as of Mr. Chidambaram`s as depicted by Oracle.

14. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Mr Chidambaram also failed to mention about what steps his UPA government is taking to China sponsored Maoism and Pakistan sponsored terrorism. He just mentioned that a particular region is holding back but what about reasons for that? He has no Idea about How much Jharkhand is loosing due to Maoists menace . Anyways its least of his problems. Anyways he is answerable only to Soniya madam and bosses in America. we mango men have to right to question him.

15. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Don’t dignify cables leaked by WikiLeaks: Chidambaram

The Home Minister, P. Chidambaram, on Friday “denounced” diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks after he came under attack in Parliament over his reported comments in one of them that India would have made more progress if it had only Southern and Western parts.
    “Don’t dignify the cables...but if you want me to comment, I denounce the cables,” Mr. Chidambaram told reporters outside Parliament House.
    Opposition members in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha took strong objection to Mr. Chidambaram’s comments reportedly made during his interaction with U.S. Ambassador Timothy Roemer in 2009, which was leaked by the Wikileaks.
    In Lok Sabha, Samajwadi Party Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav raised the issue, saying Mr. Chidambaram, despite being the Home Minister of the country, had made comments “against the national unity”.
    The Home Minister said Mr. Yadav himself had refused to comment on the WikiLeaks cables in the context of cash-for-vote scam.

16. Nonynon

Nonynon Regular Member

Yathar, you're private message box is full...
    Wanted to ask you to switch you're avatar. I find it offensive.

17. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Nonyon you forgot that Swastika is part of Indian culture and Hitler borrowed it from us. I dont think its offensive.

18. Nonynon

Nonynon Regular Member

I know the Swastika isn't only a Nazi symbol but I think that's what the avatar means when its on a German cross.
    If I'm wrong about this too then sorry in advance.

19. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The Swastika in your avatar is the actual Nazi Swastika. The one we use culturally is straight and in red colour unlike the black Nazi one.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  20. ace009

ace009 Freakin' Fighter fan Elite Member

I would agree with your views on PC and his "comments". As a home minister of ALL of India, he has no right to mention which region is "the best" and which regions are "holding India back". As a home minister he should be planning how to make the "rest of India" as good as the "west and south" - oh WAIT! The rest of India DID NOT vote for him! He was elected from the South (or the West?)?

However, I do agree with Nonyon - the Swastika you are using is the Nazi version - the black Swastika on a Black Christian Cross.

21. Yatharth Singh

@Shash, p2p & Nonynon- Yes its a Nazi Swastika depicting the axis power but as far as the views about it are concerned then I dont find it offensive. Since I think that there are not all who hate Adolf and Benito or consider them as villains , and i`m one of them. It would be offensive if I had chosen m avatar as of a personnel shooting a civilian or an hunting animal or something like that.

Please elaborate that what makes you think it as offensive. (consider it a request)