Sonia Gandhi cites privacy, refuses to disclose info on I-T returns

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Galaxy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Sonia Gandhi cites privacy, refuses to disclose info on I-T returns

Feb 24, 2012, 04.15AM IST TNN[ Julie Mariappan ]

CHENNAI: Congress chief Sonia Gandhi has declined to disclose details of her income tax returns under the RTI Act, citing personal freedom and security risk. In her reply to the I-T department, she also said there was no public interest involved in disclosing such information.

Chennai-based RTI activist V Gopalakrishnan had sought details of her I-T returns from the year 2000-2001 to 2010-2011. The assistant commissioner of income tax, New Delhi, who is also the chief public information officer (CPIO), wrote to the UPA chairperson on January 23 as per Section 11 of the RTI Act, 2005, seeking her response to the application. In her reply, Sonia said disclosure of such private information to third parties in guise of transparency in public life would amount to unwarranted invasion of the individual's privacy. The information submitted to the I-T department by an individual was confidential and private in nature and cannot be disclosed as per Section 138 of the Income Tax Act, 1961, she said.

This is the second time that the CPIO has rejected the petition. The application was first rejected without even seeking objection from Sonia. After the appellate authority's intervention last month on Gopalakrishnan's plea, the CPIO sought a response from Sonia. "By not calling for an objection, the CPIO has ignored the possibility of the third party expressing willingness for disclosure of personal I-T information," the authority had said.

The Times of India on Mobile

Mad Indian and SPIEZ like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Even the ex CJI KG Balakrishnan cited reasons as to why he would not disclose his IT returns;.

4. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

To be fair I do agree with Sonia Gandhi over this issue. How much I earn and where I spend my money is no ones business except mine. Would you be happy if someone takes a peep at your spendings?May be there should be an exception for politicians and government officials.

5. Ray

Those who are in the business of power surely do peep into the accounts and IT report of others.

Check how Ramdev has been made a cat or good old Mulayam and Mayawati told to toe the line whenever the UPA is up sh*tcreek!

So, what's wrong in knowing where these fancy pants get their money from and keep increasing their fortunes.

Check the declarations of politicians before the EC, they are getting richer than the sow, Empress of Blandings can get fat!

Transparency is the watchword!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. Ray

7. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

sonia does't not have much personnel income for sure ,she knows she is at very influential position.

everything she has is her benefits or perks as a president of congress.

She is like other CEO's around the world who takes only 1$ as salary rest u know all perks

8. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Why does that chap want her IT File? She is filing returns and paying her tax and it is upto the IT department to scrutinize the authenticity of the returns filed.

IT file has lots of details and considering the position of Sonia, I am sure it will create other issues.

9. Ray

Are you real?

Tell me can the IT operate against big fish?

W#hich wqorld are you living in?

Hae you not seen how Constitutional bodies have been emasculated?

10. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

jolly oh jimkana........... Maimo is fighting corruption and Blackmoney.... So dont expect her to show her IT returns...:rofl::taunt:

11. Mad Indian

So how much tax i pay is no one's business too.... then why are there IT raids :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty: ????

12. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

One has to see the case of the Congress leader Kripashankar Singh in Mumbai. From a vegetable vendor to an MLa having salary of Rs. 45,000 per month, he and his family have amassed hundreds of acres in Ratnagiri, flats and bungalows[/] in Mumbai. And all along thi gentleman has filed hit IT retrun only once and nobody has questioned him.

The state ACB came out with a lovely figure of mismatch of funds v/s assets to a measly 11.69%. The Hon. HC has been correct in throwing out the ACB report and filing of fresh investigation against him.

If we see his stature and Sonia G's stature which IT officer would be foolish enough to open up her file. She is a public figure and is up for scrutiny. she cannot hide behind the fig leaf of secrecy. Enough of this tamasha, let her come clean.

Has anybody seen the size of her Farmhouse in Mehrauli. Who is paying for the security of her farmhouse? Questions must be answered, the people of the country demand it.

13. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

Man I want to become a politician

14. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Yususf, what is her position- she is leader of a political party, end of the story. she is a public figure who goes out on the streets asking for votes from the public. The public now demands answers and she better be ready with those.

parijataka likes this.
  15. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

As per the assets declared in 2009 by the Lady

Sonia owns house in Italy, no car in India - Politics News - IBNLive

The location of the land is not mentioned, only the value. If the land is in Delhi ( the Mehrauli farmhouse) then wht value would be in hundreds of crores.

The Gold rate in June 2009 was Rs, 14,000 per 10 gm, so 2.5 KG would have amounted to Rs. 35 Lakhs. Even if we consider 75% as Gold then it would be around Rs 26 lakhs and not Rs. 11 Lakhs as per the deceleration.

Cost of Silver in 2009 at an average was Rs, 25000 /Kg , in that case 88 Kg of silver should have been valued at Rs. 22 lakhs and not Rs. 18 Lakhs.

On top of it to to pay an Income Tax of Rs. 5,58,000 in 2009 her annual income should have been more than Rs. 25 lakhs.

Mrs. Gandhi please come clean, the linen is dirty.

Mad Indian likes this.
  16. Mad Indian

For that you should have been born to a politician.... Bald Fu(ker, The Vinces, YSR, PC

SPIEZ likes this.
  17. Yusuf

Sir, that is a reflection of the system. But then how can IT file be made public? It can be scrutinized by competent authorities, may be court even but how can it be made public?

18. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

In US Barak Obama and the Republican candidate Mitt Romney have made their tax returns as well as health records public. If Sonia Gandhi has all her records above board she should not be hesitating to make it public. She as actual head of government, every one knows she is non playing captain of UPA, must set an example when she says NDA did not bring back the black money durng their term and so they do not have the right to speak. Sonia ji, walk the talk!

19. Yusuf

All candidates who fight elections have to submit their IT and Wealth tax returns. That is how you get to know in the news who is worth what. The minute details is what cannot be revealed or no one would like to reveal.

20. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Precisely. I fail to see why an RTI application to EC should not suffice if someone's really curious about her IT details. After all isn't this information in the public domain?

21. Mad Indian

Boy boy boy, we still have not got our of our slave mentality, have we? Even the middle class, supposed leaders of the revolutions world wide, is ok with duality of LaW. India indeed has a unique nature of changing even the purest souls into corrupt ones!

Probably the devil lives here.