Solo trip in Nepal

amoy

8) "Buddha was born in Nepal"

often enough such a poster was found on cars, buses. why was this a big deal? Nepalis explained "India claims Buddah as theirs so a campaign was launched to clarify this to the world!"

I hadnt been aware of such a contention for Buddah's birthplace. In a hotel magazine I got clues "the standing of Lumbini should be elevated" it read effusively "like Mecca for Muslims and Vatican for Catholics" to the effect.

of course promoting tourism is a main target, beyond religion or national pride.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
8) "Buddha was born in Nepal"

often enough such a poster was found on cars, buses. why was this a big deal? Nepalis explained "India claims Buddah as theirs so a campaign was launched to clarify this to the world!"

I hadnt been aware of such a contention for Buddah's birthplace. In a hotel magazine I got clues "the standing of Lumbini should be elevated" it read effusively "like Mecca for Muslims and Vatican for Catholics" to the effect.

of course promoting tourism is a main target, beyond religion or national pride.

There's a very simple way to resolve this issue. If one were to go back in time and ask Gautam Buddha himself whether he was born in "Nepal", he would probably be puzzled and ask "What's Nepal"? At the time of the Buddha, there was no Nepal, there was only Bharatvarsha (the term originates from the Mahabharata), which was the region stretching from Afghanistan to Myanmar. That is where the Buddha was born. This region has been known from time immemorial to the west as "India".

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
My kaamwali bai is a nepali woman and she tells horrible stories about maowadis.
She was kidnapped and forcefully married to a maowadi until she ran off from a maowadi camp.
Now she is in India and works as a house maid and her hindi is terrible.
Also she told me that nepali from kathmandu hates Indian people.
Katmandu is one of the politically active areas of Nepal and that is where the money and power politics is generated.

It was the total arrogance and idiocy of the last King of Nepal, who is believed to have masterminded the killing of his brother the King then, so that he could usurp power. It is his and his rowdy son who had ruined the atmosphere in Nepal, leading to the present political instability that has gripped Nepal.

Nepal is now a cynosure of international politics and there are many players in the game.

Much of the business is owned by Indians in Nepal, mostly Marwaris, and so the dislike for Indians is but natural in places like Katmandu..

The Nepalis who work in India, normally settle down in India.

amoy

9) "I'm a freelancer"

a man, who spoke fluent French and always greeted me with a loud "Nihao", introduced to me "I studied journalism but in Nepal it's not enough to make a living. then I got a diploma after 4 years of French learning" he dispelled my uncertainty "now am working for a French trekking company. I trek worldwide incl. Morocco and Tibet. In spite of promotions Europeans these days spend less than before".

"Meanwhile I contribute to newspapers".

"what do u mostly write ?" I asked. "on politics" he answered "an American was reported dead in Mustang. I didnt believe and followed the incident. finally he was found alive and just left Nepal via a different route then came back to Nepal years later. my findings were proven correct".

"I also did an in-depth report of the assassination of King Birendra". I was all ears in a moment for the grisly matter. "it wasnt Prince Dipendra who killed the royal family" , he went on making analysis of the conspiracy, the gun, bullets, injuries etc. . it was noisy in the cafe hence I failed to capture most details.

"I also do organic farming. it's environmentally friendly without chemicals and products good for health" he advised "many foreigners work on my farm incl. Chinese. u're also welcome".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles