Small arms of India

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Couple of days back i had chat with one of my friends who serves in the crpf doing his duty in manipur.He told me that the best preferred weapon of them was X95 first and AKM only second to that.He was very critical of insas due to its less power, lack of scopes,weight etc.X95s are preferred due to its ambidextrous nature,and variety of scopes like night vision and reflex sights in it.Due to these scopes x95 even though with less punching power are the favourites of crpf guys even though they had access to all type of infantry weapons used by army.They are impressed by the firing rate too.
Th newest weapon in their arsenal are the bulgarian aks with ubgls.
Even though he praised about the sheer killing power of SLR , he told me that they used only in limited numbers and that too mainly as grenade launchers.

Its been time to upgrade over infantry weapons like AKs,insas and vz58s with scopes and railings.
everyone love X95 so do i, but anyone has care to check how much does it cost, small example is that scope for X95 cost 1400 USD. Just imagine what rifle along with scope cost.

shom

INSAS does has Scopes, Perhaps his does not have it..
We have developed in a good pace for assauolt rifles and carbines ,,, but what about our side arms Kunal Da,,, we should try our hands in it. Because after Browning High Power we dont even produced any side arms under licence also. What a shame. We must research on a very effective side arm.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Carbines are issued to Officers, JCOs and those who man heavy weapons.

The rationale:

This is because the officer and JCOs should be equipped lightly so that they can move around fast in line of exercising command or recce during combat situations, requiring them to be metaphorically omnipresent to influence and control the battle.

Those who carry crew served weapons either have pistols or Carbines since as it is they have to move with heavy crew served weaponry with various segments of the weapon which are heavy but themselves as it is.
My favorite crew weapon, no longer issued to tankers.

shom

My favorite crew weapon, no longer issued to tankers.

For my Favorite Ewald Sir,,,
M3 submachine gun
The M3 was an American .45-caliber submachine gun adopted for U.S. Army service on 12 December 1942, as the United States Submachine Gun, Cal. .45, M3.[5] Compared to the Thompson submachine gun, the M3 was cheaper to produce, lighter, more accurate, and was also chambered in .45 ACP.[5] The M3 was commonly referred to as the "Grease Gun" or simply "the Greaser", owing to its visual similarity to the mechanic's tool.[6]
Intended as a replacement for the .45-caliber Thompson series of submachine guns, the M3 and its improved successor, the M3A1 began to replace the Thompson in first-line service in late 1944 and early 1945. Due to delays caused by production issues and approved specification changes, the M3/M3A1 saw relatively little combat use in World War II.
Design details

The M3 was an automatic, air-cooled blowback-operated weapon that fired from an open bolt. Constructed of plain .060-in. thick sheet steel, the M3 receiver was stamped in two halves that were then welded together.[5] The M3 was striker-fired, with a fixed firing pin contained inside the bolt. The bolt was drilled longitudinally to support two parallel guide rods, upon which were mounted twin return (recoil) springs. This configuration allowed for larger machining tolerances while providing operating clearance in the event of dust, sand, or mud ingress.[17] The M3 featured a spring-loaded extractor which was housed inside the bolt head, while the ejector was located in the trigger group.[18] Like the British Sten, time and expense was saved by cold-swaging the M3's barrel.[5]
[edit]Operating mechanism

A diagram of the M3 illustrating function.
The M3 operating sequence is as follows: the bolt is cocked to the rear using the cocking handle located on the right side of the ejector housing. When the trigger is pulled, the bolt is driven forward by the recoil springs, stripping a round from the feed lips of the magazine and guiding the round into the chamber. The bolt then continues forward and the firing pin strikes the cartridge primer, igniting the round, resulting in a high-pressure impulse, forcing the bolt back against the resistance of the recoil springs and the inertial mass of the bolt. By the time the bolt and empty casing have moved far enough to the rear to open the chamber, the bullet has left the barrel and pressure in the barrel has dropped to a safe level. The M3's comparatively low cyclic rate was a function of the relatively low pressure generated by the .45 ACP round, a heavy bolt, and recoil springs with a lighter-than-normal compression rate.[citation needed]
[edit]Features

M3 receiver markings
The gun used metal stamping and pressing, spot welding and welding extensively in its construction, reducing the number of man-hours required to assemble a unit. Only the barrel, bolt and firing mechanism were precision machined. The receiver consisted of two sheet metal halves welded together to form a cylinder. At the front end was a knurled metal cap which was used to retain the removable barrel. The cold-swaged, rifled barrel had 4 right-hand grooves. M3 and M3A1 submachine guns could be fitted with an optional, detachable flash hider, though none saw any service in World War II.[19] A later production flash hider designated Hider, Flash M9 was produced in time to see service during the Korean War. It proved popular in combat, as frequent night engagements emphasized the need to reduce flash signatures on small arms. In Korea, U.S. soldiers equipped with automatic weapons were taught to look above the flash of their weapon during night firing, a tactic that sometimes prevented the detection of crawling enemy infiltrators and sappers.[citation needed]
Projecting to the rear was a one-piece wire stock made from a formed steel rod that telescoped into tubes on both sides of the receiver. Both ends of the stock were tapped and drilled so that it could be used as a cleaning rod. It could also be used as a disassembly tool or as a wrench used to unscrew the barrel cap.[citation needed]
The M3's Cocking handle assembly was located on the right-hand side of the receiver on the ejector housing, just forward and above the trigger, and consisted of nine parts.[17] As the handle is pulled to the rear, a pawl rises to engage a notch in the bottom of the bolt, pushing the bolt to the rear until it locked back on the sear.
The fixed sights consisted of a rear aperture sight preset for firing at 100 yards (approximately 91 m) and a front blade foresight. All M3 submachine guns were test-fired for accuracy at a distance of 100 feet (30 m).[5] With the sights set at six-o'clock on a bullseye target, each gun was required to keep four out of five shots within or cut the edge of a three-inch (76 mm) bulls' eye to meet accuracy requirements.[5]
The weapon's only safety was the hinged ejection port dust cover. This cover had a projection on the underside that engaged a notch on the bolt, locking it in either its forward or rearmost positions. The M3 had no mechanical means of disabling the trigger, and the insertion of a loaded magazine would load the gun. With receiver walls made of relatively thin-gauge sheet metal, the M3/M3A1 were subject to disabling damage if dropped on an open dust cover - the covers bent easily, negating the safety feature. Dropping the gun on a sharp or hard surface could dent the receiver enough to bind the bolt.[citation needed]
The M3/M3A1's 30-round magazine was the source of complaint throughout the service life of the weapon.[20][21] Unlike the Thompson, the M3 fed from a double-column, single-feed detachable box magazine which held 30 rounds and was patterned after the British Sten magazine; the single-feed design proved difficult to load by hand, and was more easily jammed by mud, dust, and dirt than double-column, double-feed designs like the Thompson.[22] Additionally, the feed lips of the single-feed design proved more susceptible to feed malfunctions when slightly bent or damaged. Plastic dust caps were later issued to cover the feed end of the magazine and keep out dust as well as protect the sensitive feed lips
Shooting the M3 Grease Gun - YouTube
M3 ''Grease Gun'' Shooting by SkilledAmateur - YouTube

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
[T]he officer ... should be equipped lightly so that they can move around fast in line of exercising command or recce during combat situations, requiring them to be metaphorically omnipresent to influence and control the battle.
Sir, I picture you with a swagger stick. :)

Somreet Bhattacharya

@Kunal Sir: As for the sterling..isn't it pretty bulky with the silencer on when it come to maneuvering in closed places...??

Last edited by a moderator:

shom

@Kunal Sir: As for the sterling..isn't it pretty bulky with the silencer on when it come to maneuvering in closed places...??
If you ask my view I would say that though it is heavier than any of the carbines at present and it is bulky too,, but it is not at all expensive and the officers and JCOs have used it for many years so they have lots of experiences and practice which makes them perfect. On the war field I dont think that it will matter much as the mass and bulkiness would be equalized with the experience. The Indian Army uses its sterlings as parts of their body....

shom

Beretta 92:-

screenshot windows
The Beretta 92 (also Beretta 96 and Beretta 98) is a series of semi-automatic pistols designed and manufactured by Beretta of Italy. The model 92 was designed in 1972 and production of many variants in different calibers continues today. The United States Armed Forces replaced the Model 1911A1 .45 ACP pistol in 1985 with the military spec Beretta 92F, the M9.
Although only 5,000 copies of the original design were manufactured from 1975 to 1976, the design is currently produced in four different configurations (FS, G, D and DS) and four calibers:
92 series in 9×19mm Parabellum
96 series in .40 S&W
98 series in 9×21mm IMI
98 and 99 series in 7.65mm Luger
History

The Beretta 92 pistol evolved from earlier Beretta designs, most notably the M1922 and M1951. From the M1922 comes the open slide design, while the alloy frame and locking block barrel (originally from Walther P38) were first used in the M1951. The grip angle and the front sight integrated with the slide were also common to earlier Beretta pistols. Perhaps the Model 92's two most important advanced design features appeared on its immediate predecessor, the 1974 .380 caliber Model 84. These improvements both involved the magazine, which featured direct feed, that is, there was no feed ramp between the magazine and the chamber (a Beretta innovation in pistols), and the magazine was a "double-stacked" high capacity design - a feature originally introduced in 1935 on the 9mm FN/Browning "Hi-Power".[1]
The Beretta 92 first appeared in 1975[2] and was designed by Carlo Beretta, Giuseppe Mazzetti and Vittorio Valle, all experienced firearms designers on the Beretta design team.
[edit]92
Production began in May 1976, and ended in February 1983. Approximately 7,000 units were of the first "step slide" design and the rest were of the second "straight slide" type. The total production was 52,000. (Note: the total number of units produced as well as "step slide" units produced is frequently misquoted in other sources. For example: 1. Blue Book indicated total number produced as 5,000, a number 10 times smaller than actual production! 2. berettacollection.com website states "approx. 5000" to the number of "step slide" units produced which is close but off by a few thousand.)
[edit]92S
In order to meet requirements of some law enforcement agencies, Beretta modified the Beretta 92 by adding a slide-mounted combined safety and decocking lever, replacing the frame mounted manual thumb safety. This resulted in the 92S which was adopted by several Italian law enforcement and military units. The later relocation of the magazine release button means these models (92 & 92S) cannot necessarily use later magazines, unless they have notches in both areas.
[edit]92SB (92S-1)
The extremely rare 92SB, Initially called the 92S-1, was specifically designed for the USAF (US Air Force) trials (which it won), the model name officially adopted was the 92SB. It included the changes of the 92S, added a firing pin block (thus the addition of the "B" to the name), and relocated the magazine release catch from the bottom of the grip to the lower bottom of the trigger guard.
92SB Compact (1981–1991), shortened barrel and slide (13-round magazine capacity). It was replaced by the "92 Compact L".
[edit]92F (92SB-F)/92G
Main article: M9 pistol
Beretta modified the model 92SB slightly to create the 92SB-F (the "F" added to denote entry of the model in U.S. Government federal testing) and, later, the 92G for French Government testing, by making the following changes:
Design of all the parts to make them 100% interchangeable to simplify maintenance for large government organizations.
Modified the front of the trigger guard so that one could use finger support for easier aiming.
Recurved the forward base of the grip to aid aiming.
Hard chromed the barrel bore to protect it from corrosion and to reduce wear.
New surface coating on the slide called Bruniton, which allegedly provides better corrosion resistance than the previous plain blued finish.
[edit]92FS
The FS has an enlarged hammer pin that fits into a groove on the underside of the slide. The main purpose is to stop the slide from flying off the frame to the rear if it cracks. This was in response to reported defective slides during U.S. Military testing.
COurtesy:- wikipidia

shom

photo sharing websites @Kunal Biswas dada ,, which segment of the Indian Army uses Beretta 92FS? Couldnt find any details regarding this. Though I got this pic from Internet, i wonder this pic might have been taken in some joint exercises with United States.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That is a M9 of USMC, An exercise with Indian Army..

photo sharing websites @Kunal Biswas dada ,, which segment of the Indian Army uses Beretta 92FS? Couldnt find any details regarding this. Though I got this pic from Internet, i wonder this pic might have been taken in some joint exercises with United States.

shom

That is a M9 of USMC, An exercise with Indian Army..
When I visited in Equipments page of Indian Army in Wikipidia I found Beretta92 is used in indian army ,, whereas when I visited the beretta 92 page I found it is only used by our Manipur Police,,, Is it used by our army????

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Beretta handgun are not used by Indian Army nor Glocks..

High-power all the way..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles