Small arms of India

devhensh

As per my dicussions with some US Servicemen, the PKM was the most effective and feared weapon, in hands of the enemy in Afghanistan and Iraq...Very light and effective and mobile....One of the limitation of the PKM is that it uses a NON disintegrating belts which restricts mobility, unlike the M240 and all other NATO designs...

Russians are replacing all PKMs with the "PKP Pecheneg machine gun"
http://modernfirearms.net/machine/rus/pecheneg-e.html

The most advanced version of PKM is the one below (in 7.62x51)...I think, i have seen pictures of our SF using this
Bulgarian MG1M (PKM) Machine Gun

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
As per my dicussions with some US Servicemen, the PKM was the most effective and feared weapon, in hands of the enemy in Afghanistan and Iraq...Very light and effective and mobile....One of the limitation of the PKM is that it uses a NON disintegrating belts which restricts mobility, unlike the M240 and all other NATO designs...

Russians are replacing all PKMs with the "PKP Pecheneg machine gun"
http://modernfirearms.net/machine/rus/pecheneg-e.html

The most advanced version of PKM is the one below (in 7.62x51)...I think, i have seen pictures of our SF using this
Bulgarian MG1M (PKM) Machine Gun
Arsenal Inc. does make a 7.62 x 51mm variant of PK which accepts disintegrating link belts.To know more bout it,refer to my post at
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...indian-armed-forces.1496/page-19#post-1350254

devhensh

Arsenal Inc. does make a 7.62 x 51mm variant of PK which accepts disintegrating link belts.To know more bout it,refer to my post at
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...indian-armed-forces.1496/page-19#post-1350254
Absolutuly right ! I am quite aware that Arsenal has a model called MG-M2 in 7.62 x 51mm with disintegrating belt (the version i posted above in Larry Vickers poster is from same company but with non disintegrating belt)... their catalog
http://www.arsenal-bg.com/c/machine-guns-26

I think i have seen pictures of Indian SF using the PKM ...not sure which version but it has to be in 7.62 x 51mm......

Also,the ones mentioned above by Arsenal are exceptions made for western markets....Most of the PKMs with the Warsaw pact countries, and with the insurgents in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan are all in 7.62x54mm and with non disintegrating belts...that is what is wanted to point out in my original post......but we all agree it's a superb weapon and force multiplier...

If i am not wrong,OFB is making a similar 7.62x51mm LMG/MMG which is a Hybrid between PKM and FN MAG.....Now that would be a KickAss weapon......Would be looking ahead for it's trails and evaluation reports..

aditya g

Country flag
ID the rifle second top left and second top right?

@Kunal Biswas @Johny_Baba

Report as per INDRA Facebook page:
"Amogh Carbine ( 5.56mm × 30 MINSAS ) spotted with Manipur Police & Gujarat Police. Uptill now only Coast Guard was lone user of this desi Indian made Carbine. Even though it has lost Competition to JVPC ( MSMC ) it is undergoing production and forces are buying this weapon & keeping it alive."

As I said earlier Forces under MHA are undergoing modernisation that can be called close to warfooting level if not equal or more and that is only possible when you take the IDDM (Indigenously designed developed and manufactured)way and not the pseudo Buy foreign and Make In India scheme. Army seriously needs to look at it's outlook towards Indigenous platforms.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
ID the rifle second top left and second top right?

@Kunal Biswas @Johny_Baba
It's SIG 556 assault rifle,primarily used by Commandos of Gujarat Police.

@WolfPack86 had posted some sexy pics of Gujju Commandos with this gun,but now it has this
IMG boxes in place of pics.

Enjoy this video i found on Youtube.

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
It's SIG 556 assault rifle,primarily used by Commandos of Gujarat Police.

@WolfPack86 had posted some sexy pics of Gujju Commandos with this gun,but now it has this
IMG boxes in place of pics.

Enjoy this video i found on Youtube.
You beat me to it!!!

The SIG 556 is one of my favourite Assault rifles, I affectionately refer to it as the love child of the Ak and the AR-15. Very dependable, very accurate and ergonomic. Although, it is a bit on the heave side.

devhensh

You beat me to it!!!

The SIG 556 is one of my favourite Assault rifles, I affectionately refer to it as the love child of the Ak and the AR-15. Very dependable, very accurate and ergonomic. Although, it is a bit on the heave side.
SIG 556 is indeed a superb weapon....But the new SIG MCX platform is an ultimate evolution of this rifle...It's very light, handy and very modular(handled one myself)....
Many Police agencies in US and Europe have adopted it as well as the Dutch MARSOF...
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-mcx-virtus-patrol.html

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
SIG 556 is indeed a superb weapon....But the new SIG MCX platform is an ultimate evolution of this rifle...It's very light, handy and very modular(handled one myself)....
Many Police agencies in US and Europe have adopted it as well as the Dutch MARSOF...
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-mcx-virtus-patrol.html
Ah I don't think this Swiss gun would work properly in harsh conditions of India.

SG 556 is still an upgraded kalashnikov so it won't face much problems in India's environmental condition,i guess.

Last edited:

devhensh

Ah I don't think this Swiss gun would work properly in harsh conditions of India.

SG 556 is still an upgraded kalashnikov so it won't face much problems in India's environmental condition,i guess.
Actually, i wasn't suggesting that this gun should be adopted by India...rather i posted it in response to the SIG 556 info...I am a big fan of INSAS 1C, but feel that the platform should continously evolve and borrow best design features from leading designs like these

Just to share, just because a gun is an upgraded AK, doesn't mean that it will pass the type of mud and water tests shown in your vedio(and thus operate reliably in India)....

The Tavor and AK47 are two weapons used extensively in India, which failed the mud tests done by this reputed channel...You'll also see that an AR-15 passes those SAME tests and the explanation is that AR is completely closed from elements(search for AR15 mud tests)...so there are many factors to be considered...but a top class AR-15 piston driven (short stroke)gun is generally as relaible as a long stroke piston like AK( HK 416 is an example which has been adapted by so many countries)

binayak95

Country flag
The Tavor and AK47 are two weapons used extensively in India, which failed the mud tests done by this reputed channel...You'll also see that an AR-15 passes those SAME tests and the explanation is that AR is completely closed from elements(search for AR15 mud tests)...so there are many factors to be considered...but a top class AR-15 piston driven (short stroke)gun is generally as relaible as a long stroke piston like AK( HK 416 is an example which has been adapted by so many countries)
Agreed, HK's short stroke piston system in combination with a free floating barrel makes for very accurate and reliable guns; case in point being both the HK 416 and the G36, personally I prefer the G36, it looks space age!

soikot banerjee

Country flag
Actually, i wasn't suggesting that this gun should be adopted by India...rather i posted it in response to the SIG 556 info...I am a big fan of INSAS 1C, but feel that the platform should continously evolve and borrow best design features from leading designs like these

Just to share, just because a gun is an upgraded AK, doesn't mean that it will pass the type of mud and water tests shown in your vedio(and thus operate reliably in India)....

Excalibur did deserves a mention here
"On 1 September Gen Singh, accompanied by Lieutenant General Sanjay Kulkarni, Director General Infantry (DGI), visited the RFI and personally conducted the 'water' and 'mud' tests on the rifle, which it reportedly cleared."

It passed in front of Ex-genneral, Excalibur should be ergonomically modified to a level of New 1C.
Indian small arms are though slowly catching up in terms of aesthetics 1C, 7.62*51 battle rifle, JVPC.
But one thing is to be appreciated, we are a economy strong enough to equip soldiers in seachen glacier with top world class small arms if needed, but INSAS is still the mainstay there, that itself tells about the reliability of the weapon, Excalibur modified should be a stepup with a proper long P-rail, probably a milled reciever which gives less rivets, with lower reciever made of polymer and 3 D printed (HAL has been using this for a while now).That can increase it's acceptance across various forces if not army!

devhensh

Excalibur did deserves a mention here
"On 1 September Gen Singh, accompanied by Lieutenant General Sanjay Kulkarni, Director General Infantry (DGI), visited the RFI and personally conducted the 'water' and 'mud' tests on the rifle, which it reportedly cleared."

It passed in front of Ex-genneral, Excalibur should be ergonomically modified to a level of New 1C.
Indian small arms are though slowly catching up in terms of aesthetics 1C, 7.62*51 battle rifle, JVPC.
But one thing is to be appreciated, we are a economy strong enough to equip soldiers in seachen glacier with top world class small arms if needed, but INSAS is still the mainstay there, that itself tells about the reliability of the weapon, Excalibur modified should be a stepup with a proper long P-rail, probably a milled reciever which gives less rivets, with lower reciever made of polymer and 3 D printed (HAL has been using this for a while now).That can increase it's acceptance across various forces if not army!
Exactly my point.....I asked in a diffrent thread, why we see only INSAS and not M4s and Tavors in Siachen ?

That means it's one of the MOST reliable small arms platforms in world....But it needs to continously updgrade ...and that is by incorporting the new features in new designs like HK 433 etc ....and there is no need for reinventing the wheel... just have to look at the latest advancements and adapt them to our conditions....We produce ballistics missiles and space missions...this is nothing...

binayak95

Country flag
Exactly my point.....I asked in a diffrent thread, why we see only INSAS and not M4s and Tavors in Siachen ?

That means it's one of the MOST reliable small arms platforms in world....But it needs to continously updgrade ...and that is by incorporting the new features in new designs like HK 433 etc ....and there is no need for reinventing the wheel... just have to look at the latest advancements and adapt them to our conditions....We produce ballistics missiles and space missions...this is nothing...
I feel that there is a need to change the production techniques in OFB. The very first time that I fired the INSAS (1st term, INA) one of my coursemates' gun simply exploded!

The gun is very good. Low recoil, accurate and okay weight. What we need to do is add picatinny rails, red dot reflex sights, compensated buttstock and a better fire selector - something like the one in M4; that's the best selector I've seen. In short - make it more ergonomic.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Published on Sep 19, 2017

New Indian .12 bore pump action make RIFLE FACTORY ISHAPORE video made by Luthra Gun house

========

Cost is around 60-70k, Lot cheaper than its previous version ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Published on Oct 1, 2017
hii guys today iam going to show you how to shoot 315 bore rifle. with full information and steps.

=============

:facepalm:

Please do the needful in his comment section of the video ...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles