Small arms of India

Rchauhan

Country flag
And the best part is, Excalibur which beat every other foreign competitor is yet to see deployment with regular IA. For last couple of years it is with Paramilitary like Assam Rifles only and mind you, it is on par with AKM as per them. But alas, while we have people foul mouthing INSAS both in and out and looking for replacement of INSAS with requirement which keeps on changing more frequently then underwear, there had been no taker of Excalibur till now even in name of upgradation.

BTW, from where you got the input that our soldiers died because of INSAS?
I cannot trace the Videos , but I saw interview of IA soldiers who fought during Kargil ... They were asked which Gun will they Prefer and almost all of them Preffered AK and said it is much more reliable up-there and a life saver..(I can give you range of articles but then You will will not agree because for some reason You are just not ready to see over it)

I would Love IA to get a domestic Rifle but again NOT AT THE COST OF QUALITY ....

And now let us discuss Excalibur ,,,,, Can You please tell me how DO YOU KNOW THAT EXCALIBUR IS A BEAST (when we compare it with the other Rifles competing with it (not to mention that it is 5.56 and not a 7.62 so it automatically cannot compete with the current requirement of IA)) .. IA requirement as of now is logical ,,its just that they are pushing Gun manufactures to Produce a Great Rifle that will be less in weight , will not Jam, less recoil and kills the terrorist (I guess they also want to put a fear in Terrorists that if they get hit by a bullet from a IA Rifle then they will die instantly and it wont be like INSAS where round get through the belly and still a guy could function ,,, one bullet one terrorist ...... but this is my thinking and and not 100% sure if thats one of the reason behind asking for a 7.62 Nato Cal gun ...any ways IA Guys are fucking aggressive and that I definatly know )

If you go in market You would like to Buy the best product with the Budget You have so let their be a fair Trial and let their be no compromise on Quality ...

Chinmoy

Country flag
I cannot trace the Videos , but I saw interview of IA soldiers who fought during Kargil ... They were asked which Gun will they Prefer and almost all of them Preffered AK and said it is much more reliable up-there and a life saver..(I can give you range of articles but then You will will not agree because for some reason You are just not ready to see over it)

I would Love IA to get a domestic Rifle but again NOT AT THE COST OF QUALITY ....

And now let us discuss Excalibur ,,,,, Can You please tell me how DO YOU KNOW THAT EXCALIBUR IS A BEAST (when we compare it with the other Rifles competing with it (not to mention that it is 5.56 and not a 7.62 so it automatically cannot compete with the current requirement of IA)) .. IA requirement as of now is logical ,,its just that they are pushing Gun manufactures to Produce a Great Rifle that will be less in weight , will not Jam, less recoil and kills the terrorist (I guess they also want to put a fear in Terrorists that if they get hit by a bullet from a IA Rifle then they will die instantly and it wont be like INSAS where round get through the belly and still a guy could function ,,, one bullet one terrorist ...... but this is my thinking and and not 100% sure if thats one of the reason behind asking for a 7.62 Nato Cal gun ...any ways IA Guys are fucking aggressive and that I definatly know )

If you go in market You would like to Buy the best product with the Budget You have so let their be a fair Trial and let their be no compromise on Quality ...
Do you have any videos or news item of INSAS prior to Kargil conflict? Lets have a look back at its development. Prior to Kargil, the standard issue rifle for IA was 1A1 or what we popularly know as SLR. Interestingly the ever reliable AKM had been introduced in IA by 90's only. Prior to that even the special forces were equipped with 1A1 firing 7.62 NATO.

IA had derived the inspiration to switch over to a 5.56 from what had been published in NATO bulletins regarding Vietnam war and the ongoing switch over from full power 7.62 to 5.56. The basic idea behind using 5.56 is to mime an enemy soldier in war field rather then to kill him. At that time insurgency was beginning to happen in Kashmir and no one in IA had even thought about this angle. Shortsightedness???? Never the less, lets leave it.

Now we all know that INSAS in basically based on AKM with many features from other rifles too. This was designed to be the standard issue rifle for IA. So only after introduction of AKM in India after 90, the final design for INSAS had been fixed and production started. Then came the Kargil in 1999 and a mass number of INSAS had been handed over to IA, as still in used Lee-Enfield and 1A1 had been recently phased out. So now I am not sure where you could find the amount of testing INSAS had gone through before it has been introduced directly in war. SO basically INSAS was a rifle which had directly gone to war from designers table. So as the case with M16 in Vietnam war, same had happened with INSAS in Kargil. So when a soldier compares a rifle designed in 1945 and which has a backing of 50 years of maturity time with enough war to its name, he is not wrong. But show me the logic of using the same argument to kill a new born before it matures.

I too want IA to use the best. But for any system to be best, it needs time to mature. If you have to compare INSAS, compare it with what it had been in 1999 and what it is today. There is no doubt that AKM is the best AR till date when it comes to reliability, but talk about range with reliability, AKM would become 2nd best to many others. I hope you know about the much preferred TAVOR. India had outrightly rejected the first batch. It took IAI 2 years to short out the issues and reintroduce it. From then onwards it is getting updated even today itself. But when it comes to any indigenous AR, the first thing you would listen to is how it performed in Kargil and how Nepalese Army screwed things up.

Talking about 7.62 NATO round, even now IA is not looking at it in own perspective. It is simply following the course taken by US Army. When ever comparison arises between 5.56 and 7.62, you would only listen to how US has faced difficulty in putting down the Jehadis in Iraq and Afghan war. Not even a single mention of any such news had came to light in Indian context. The last time any such thing happened is in Mumbai attack. At that time NSG were unable to down terrorists with a single round of MP9 which does make use of 9mm pistol round instead of a much powerful rifle round. Kindly enlighten me if I did missed on any news article.

Now talking about Excalibur, we had discussed it many times in numerous thread that how it had beat other AR last time on ground of reliability. Unfortunately for unknown reason the tender got scrapped and after that requirement of IA changed from 5.56 to 7.62. Lets leave this too. But when I said that I've personally seen it in use and action, it means I mean it. We had discussed it in length on related thread and many members here are well aware of it. Next time I'd make it a point to tag you along in any such discussion.

When talking about fair trial, I am all for it. But why each and every time the requirement is changed to prefer a particular vendor? If this is the case then why to loose time and money in designing and R&D. We are a trillion dollar economy, lets just have the best what money can buy. Afterall many countries who are poorer then us is doing the same. We too could do that.

pmaitra

They were asked which Gun will they Prefer and almost all of them Preffered AK and said it is much more reliable up-there and a life saver..(I can give you range of articles but then You will will not agree because for some reason You are just not ready to see over it)
Please provide the links to as many articles you can for the general readership.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You are quoting all most 20 year old story, I am not sure how it is related any-longer, Unless you want to derail from present topic ..

I won`t be making any lengthy posts, Give a read to INSAS thread and you may get enlighten ..

And if you are asking how i know, I have used almost all variant of INSAS in service, And i have first hand experience of these firearms from their inception into the force ..

mayfair

@Kunal Biswas has often spoken about INSAS and how most of the handling problems have been sorted and a thing of the past.

Regarding the use of AK by our security forces, it can also be due to familiarity and comfort and not necessarily because INSAS sucks. In a cauldron, where our jawans have little time to acclimatise and are expected to hit the ground running, having the feel of a familiar equipment in hands goes a long way in soothing the nerves.

If INSAS were really that bad, we wouldn't have instances of looted INSAS being recovered from captured or halaled scum, and they all seemed to be in fine nick, despite surely not being maintained as well as professional forces.

It's heartening to see that most in the forces and MoD seem to be coming around to the view that Excalibur is the way ahead to equip our infantry in the future.

Rchauhan

Country flag
Do you have any videos or news item of INSAS prior to Kargil conflict? Lets have a look back at its development. Prior to Kargil, the standard issue rifle for IA was 1A1 or what we popularly know as SLR. Interestingly the ever reliable AKM had been introduced in IA by 90's only. Prior to that even the special forces were equipped with 1A1 firing 7.62 NATO.

IA had derived the inspiration to switch over to a 5.56 from what had been published in NATO bulletins regarding Vietnam war and the ongoing switch over from full power 7.62 to 5.56. The basic idea behind using 5.56 is to mime an enemy soldier in war field rather then to kill him. At that time insurgency was beginning to happen in Kashmir and no one in IA had even thought about this angle. Shortsightedness???? Never the less, lets leave it.

Now we all know that INSAS in basically based on AKM with many features from other rifles too. This was designed to be the standard issue rifle for IA. So only after introduction of AKM in India after 90, the final design for INSAS had been fixed and production started. Then came the Kargil in 1999 and a mass number of INSAS had been handed over to IA, as still in used Lee-Enfield and 1A1 had been recently phased out. So now I am not sure where you could find the amount of testing INSAS had gone through before it has been introduced directly in war. SO basically INSAS was a rifle which had directly gone to war from designers table. So as the case with M16 in Vietnam war, same had happened with INSAS in Kargil. So when a soldier compares a rifle designed in 1945 and which has a backing of 50 years of maturity time with enough war to its name, he is not wrong. But show me the logic of using the same argument to kill a new born before it matures.

I too want IA to use the best. But for any system to be best, it needs time to mature. If you have to compare INSAS, compare it with what it had been in 1999 and what it is today. There is no doubt that AKM is the best AR till date when it comes to reliability, but talk about range with reliability, AKM would become 2nd best to many others. I hope you know about the much preferred TAVOR. India had outrightly rejected the first batch. It took IAI 2 years to short out the issues and reintroduce it. From then onwards it is getting updated even today itself. But when it comes to any indigenous AR, the first thing you would listen to is how it performed in Kargil and how Nepalese Army screwed things up.

Talking about 7.62 NATO round, even now IA is not looking at it in own perspective. It is simply following the course taken by US Army. When ever comparison arises between 5.56 and 7.62, you would only listen to how US has faced difficulty in putting down the Jehadis in Iraq and Afghan war. Not even a single mention of any such news had came to light in Indian context. The last time any such thing happened is in Mumbai attack. At that time NSG were unable to down terrorists with a single round of MP9 which does make use of 9mm pistol round instead of a much powerful rifle round. Kindly enlighten me if I did missed on any news article.

Now talking about Excalibur, we had discussed it many times in numerous thread that how it had beat other AR last time on ground of reliability. Unfortunately for unknown reason the tender got scrapped and after that requirement of IA changed from 5.56 to 7.62. Lets leave this too. But when I said that I've personally seen it in use and action, it means I mean it. We had discussed it in length on related thread and many members here are well aware of it. Next time I'd make it a point to tag you along in any such discussion.

When talking about fair trial, I am all for it. But why each and every time the requirement is changed to prefer a particular vendor? If this is the case then why to loose time and money in designing and R&D. We are a trillion dollar economy, lets just have the best what money can buy. Afterall many countries who are poorer then us is doing the same. We too could do that.

In one of the Interview major Gaurav Arya said that the difference between an Army Major and a General is like a difference between Moon and Mars .... I guess the reason is Experience .... I defiantly cannot be 100% confident that their no corruption even in Army but I TRUST THE current Top leader ship (both Political and Army) and I am 100% sure that current requirement are the best of IA (It was taken under Manohar Parikhar as RM and Gen Suhag as Chief ) so to suggest that someone would bought them and made requirement to Favor them is something that I cannot take as a Argument (Decision to go for Multi-cal was take under Gen VK Singh (though not 100% sure ) and I can assure You that You cannot Buy him ...Gen Singh is a hard core Nationalist ) ....
To suggest that some one did changes and they did not know will also be wrong as nothing Moves without their Knowledge under their command .
Now the Big Question is Why did they change the Goal post first from INSAS to Multi Cal and then to 7.62 NATO ..

I can think of few Possibilities .

1. Changes were made in INSAS and it became a good Gun but one need to change with time ,,,,urban combat conditions like anti- insurgency , If you want to Mount some more gears and want Your Guys to be more effective , You need to adapt a new and effective gun ,,,, a Good Multi- cal was the answer but then then Conditions in which IA Operates are so Diverse that none qualified (Mind You that we could have said that corruption took place if one of these Guns would have passed the test as all these Gun Makers know what is as stake and I have sure that they would have paid anything to get this contract after all it was said to be the biggest Gun contract till date ) .

2. MCIWS : My guess is that it also faced the same fate and failed to function in this Diverse Environment .. but my Guess is that guys at DRDO will produce something effective .
3. Ex-cal : Let us say (and as you are confident ) that this is a good weapon but they want shoot to kill and not shoot to Injured .
4. I wonder what a great Gun it will be that is under 4 KG weight , fires a 7.62 Nato , less recoil and Functions in a diverse environment as ours .... I hope MCIWS to be that Gun but I have My doubts I believe it will be some foreign Mall (Under Make in INDIA so that will better then Importing like we are used to of doing) .

There is Always a reason and these Guys (Top Brass)are not just any tom dick and Harry that when ever their is a change in requirement people started crying Foul ,, first find the reason ... To me above reasons make sense

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Know first what you are talking about ..

Personal assumptions only make thread quality low ..

Hari Sud

Country flag
Kunal is absolutely wrong in saying - personal assumptions.

Kunal himself posts personal assumptions for the last three years, I have been reading his posts. He makes these look authentic with photographs and presumed visits to gun shows and hand holding Excalibur rifle etc.

Know first what you are talking about ..

Personal assumptions only make thread quality low ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Please go through INSAS thread and ask question you like ..

===========

In General, i don`t make assumptions ..

I speak what i came to know from defense spokesmen and about 1B1 its something i have posted from the very unit i am related to, ( How and where is something i should never do..)

If you have problem that i am harsh to some members, Do understand moderating is weary work and completely selfless, I cannot spend time after one member or two, I do have plenty of work here ..

I can only suggest help yourselves and when it must ask me your quarries, make this place beautiful and interesting, this is a request ..

Hi Kunal,,,,, not sure but is there anything that you feel I should not have posted ...... let me know .

Kunal himself posts personal assumptions for the last three years, I have been reading his posts. He makes these look authentic with photographs and presumed visits to gun shows and hand holding Excalibur rifle etc.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Assumptions are fine, till they are backed up with some basic reading and knowledge of the subject. One cannot crap on a thread and then say, let's assume it's a mango.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
AR-2 is not a new development, It existed for some time now and was always in 7.62M43 ..

MICWS project is in development, It will come only after INSAS MK1C inducted in large numbers ..
@ Kunal
You yourself assumed that AR2 is chambered for 7.62 M43 and not 7.62*51 NATO as I quoted Saurav Jha. Now it is is public domain that Ghatak Is 7.62 M43 and insas mk1c which is an extension of excaliber in 5.56*45 are 2 different products of OFB undergoing trails.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Army zeroes in on Made in India rifles to replace INSAS

If the Excalibur/MIR clears trials, it could be in the hands of infantry soldiers within two years, DRDO officials say. The DRDO is designing a second version of the Excalibur, the AR-2 that fires 7.62x39 mm rounds used by AK-47. The AR-2 will be offered as an alternative to the Russianorigin assault rifle.
Five international firms - Beretta of Italy, Israeli Weapons Industries (IWI), Colt Defense of the US, Ceska Zbplojovka of Czech Republic and SiG Sauer of Switzerland-were shortlisted for the trials.

However, Army officials now admit the specifications were poorly drafted and unrealistic.
It is not my assumption ..

AR-2 is indeed a version of Excalibur in 7.62x39mm, Now their is also a version of Excalibur in 7.62x51mm ..

The official designation of one chambered for 7.62NATO is unknown ..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
It seems you have quoted a July 2015 news article by Sandeep Unnithan whereas I have quoted a tweet of Saurav Jha of March 2017. Now there seems some contradictions. It is also noteworthy that in 2015 Ghataak 7.62*39 was not in the picture. May after it came into picture folks at OFB decided that AR2 should be chambered only for 7.62*51 only so that it doesn't compete with Ghataak because there is no other news article where it is further mentioned.
So there seems 6 rifles:
1. Excalibur MK1C : 5.56*45
2. Multicaliber Assault Rifle : 5.56*45,6.8,7.62*39
3. OFB Ghatak : 7.62*39
4. Excaliber AR 2 : 7.62*51
5. JVPC : 5.56*30
6. OFB TAR: 7.62*39

pmaitra

We need something new, not the same chain of claims and counterclaims going around in circles. When readers come to this thread, they should not have to go page after page seeing the same thing being repeated like a broken record.

Hi Kunal,,,,, not sure but is there anything that you feel I should not have posted ...... let me know .
Please post something new, and as I have requested, post a news article as a reference. Please refrain from making unsupported claims.

When the subject is INSAS, I speak from assumptions because I have never shot an INSAS. Kunal speaks from experience.

@ Kunal
You yourself assumed that AR2 is chambered for 7.62 M43 and not 7.62*51 NATO as I quoted Saurav Jha. Now it is is public domain that Ghatak Is 7.62 M43 and insas mk1c which is an extension of excaliber in 5.56*45 are 2 different products of OFB undergoing trails.
You have not quoted anybody as of yet. I would encourage you to post his Tweet.

It seems you have quoted a July 2015 news article by Sandeep Unnithan whereas I have quoted a tweet of Saurav Jha of March 2017. Now there seems some contradictions. It is also noteworthy that in 2015 Ghataak 7.62*39 was not in the picture. May after it came into picture folks at OFB decided that AR2 should be chambered only for 7.62*51 only so that it doesn't compete with Ghataak because there is no other news article where it is further mentioned.
So there seems 6 rifles:
Same as above. Please quote the Tweet.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
See, Their are many factories OFB has and regarding 7.62x39mm, Every factory is presenting its own version of 7.62x39mm rifle, This is something observed since TAR came in picture ..

You have to categorize various OFB factories offering their version of firearms in 7.62x39mm, You can add AK-103 offered by Ordnance factory Kanpur ..

===========

The 5.56nato and 7.62nato are specifically for Army and Ishapore is working on that, If i am right ..

So there seems 6 rifles:

Heavenshaker

Country flag
Hello there. I came
Screenshot_20170620-124938.png
across this post on Instagram and was curious. Since when did we start procuring these ? I know that fab defense is an Israeli company. Is this on a trial basis or are we already fielding these ? Will every RR AK be upgraded this way?
Any information on this would be appreciated.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Various upgrades are being offered by few companies for existing AKMs at CT areas, This upgrade is limited to few units ..

Heavenshaker

Country flag
Various upgrades are being offered by few companies for existing AKMs at CT areas, This upgrade is limited to few units ..
So are we following some standard pattern for upgradation ? Because I'm seeing different upgrades in every picture. Any info regarding that?

Neexis

Reliance Defence enters into partnership with Yugoimport of Serbia for arms manufacturing in India
BusinessIANSJun, 20 2017 16:34:20 IST

New Delhi: Reliance Infrastructure (RInfra) promoted Reliance Defence Ammunition has entered into a strategic partnership with Yugoimport of Serbia for ammunition manufacturing in India, a company statement said here on Tuesday.

The two companies will work together in the field of ammunition, amongst others, with projected minimum requirement of Rs 20,000 crore over the next 10 years from Indian armed forces, the joint-statement said.

Anil D. Ambani, Chairman Reliance Group, after his meeting with Serbia President Aleksandar Vucic, announced the partnership with Yugoimport covering wide areas of cooperation in the defence sector.

Among others present in the meeting were Serbia Defence Minister Zoran Dordevic; Assistant Minister of Defence Nenad Moloradovic, and CEO of Yugoimport.

Given the large Indian market size, economies of scale offer option for exports, the statement said.

The Indian government recently issued eight requests for proposal for different grade of ammunition, opening the field to the private sector for the first time.

"Proposal envisages transfer of technology by the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and indigenous manufacturing in India," the statement said.

It said, Reliance Defence Ammunition will also undertake joint development of next generation ammunition to meet the future requirements of the Indian armed forces.

India currently imports nearly 50 per cent of its ammunition requirements by value term, with an annual spending of more than Rs 10,000 crore. With new inductions of air defence and artillery guns, this requirement is likely to increase.

Published Date: Jun 20, 2017 04:34 pm | Updated Date: Jun 20, 2017 04:34 pm
*couldn't find any related thread, if reqd please move to the relevant thread. Thank you.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles