Small arms of India

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Mark Antony, You seems to not get the points clearly or don`t seems to understand them well, I suggest read again for better understanding, Almost all of your 5 point raised in other posts are not valid ..

@sasum, Read all the INSAS threads, All that you raised were broken before many times ..

Ah well the questions were rhetorical in nature, and i already knew the answers. Just wanted to point out the inadequacy of the INSAS system, which didnt attract the attention of any armies beyond few countries in the Indian influence zone of SAARC. Heck Galil alone was in use by over 40 countries. When you create something awesome, everyone wants to buy it, which helps in bringing the per unit cost down for your own forces, economy of scale. But INSAS aint exactly charming the world is it? Anyways you seem too sold to the idea of INSAS and its family of weapons and I am dead against it. So lets politely agree to disagree. Good bantering though. I am already liking this forum :)
Very logical points raised by you and let me respond to them.

1. The issue with INSAS is vis-a-vis 5.56 NATO is not about the round itself but the rifle, hell even Tavor, HK 416, Steyr AUG etc. all fire 5.56 but do not hear too many complaints about them do we? An 18 Inch poorly designed 4.5 KG+ rifle is simply too unwieldy too fire just a intermediate 5.56 round. It kinda reminds me of the too much dynamite but too little fuse joke, wonder if uve ever heard it.

2. M16 sure was a failure but that rifle evolved so much, its now on series M16A4 which is currently in use by US Marines and besides it still has a standard 20 inch barrel. How many upgrades has the INSAS had since the 90s except the black furniture change. Dont think we can call Excalibur and upgarde coz thats a 16 inch separate rifle altogether.

3. Regarding 7.62 Vs 5.56, that debate has been on since forever, and especially fueled coz the sheer inadequacies of the M4 in Afghanistan which is a large calier battlefield. Youd be surprised to know , that the biggest killer of US and allied troops in Afghanistan is not 7.62x39 but rather the ancient 7.62x54R. Solution has been then have two cartridge variants of the same rifle, eg. FN SCAR H and SCAR L, HK 416 and 417, or an AR 10 for that matter. Did we ever have an INSAS 7.62 or even hear of it for different theates of war?
Another solution to have middle ground cartridges like 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel. We never heard of INSAS being chambered in such experimental rounds did we?

4. Staying with Ammo, when ur faced with challenges, and inadequacies of ur rifle, u experiment with your ammo to atleast make it more effective, so u have deep penetrating rounds like the M855 and the steel core M855A1, for M16 and M4s. To compensate for their lack of punch and stopping power. Any such modifications or Ammo evolution for the INSAS?

5. Finally you make my own case, in the last part of your answer, INSAS is a badly designed and unwieldy weapon with no clear role and objective designated for it. And as you say it happened coz of little involvement of forces who were going to actually use it. So India should get back to design board and start afresh learn from the experiences of the past 20-30 years, and projected threats and challenges of next 20-30 and create a platform we can be proud of, and can also be a great export proposition as well, giving a boost to our arms industry. Till thats done adopt a weapon which is best suited for current and short term challenges whether foreign made or indigenous. As far as armed forces requirements go we should be origin agnostic.

INSAS is definitely not a platform for the future, nor for the present. hell it weighs more than 4.5 Kgs, while a full 20 inch barrel M16 still weighs less than 4 Kgs when fully loaded, and its almost a 60 yr old design now.

Time to reboot, reset and redesign.
Very logical points raised by you and let me respond to them.

1. The issue with INSAS is vis-a-vis 5.56 NATO is not about the round itself but the rifle, hell even Tavor, HK 416, Steyr AUG etc. all fire 5.56 but do not hear too many complaints about them do we? An 18 Inch poorly designed 4.5 KG+ rifle is simply too unwieldy too fire just a intermediate 5.56 round. It kinda reminds me of the too much dynamite but too little fuse joke, wonder if uve ever heard it.

2. M16 sure was a failure but that rifle evolved so much, its now on series M16A4 which is currently in use by US Marines and besides it still has a standard 20 inch barrel. How many upgrades has the INSAS had since the 90s except the black furniture change. Dont think we can call Excalibur and upgarde coz thats a 16 inch separate rifle altogether.

3. Regarding 7.62 Vs 5.56, that debate has been on since forever, and especially fueled coz the sheer inadequacies of the M4 in Afghanistan which is a large calier battlefield. Youd be surprised to know , that the biggest killer of US and allied troops in Afghanistan is not 7.62x39 but rather the ancient 7.62x54R. Solution has been then have two cartridge variants of the same rifle, eg. FN SCAR H and SCAR L, HK 416 and 417, or an AR 10 for that matter. Did we ever have an INSAS 7.62 or even hear of it for different theates of war?
Another solution to have middle ground cartridges like 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel. We never heard of INSAS being chambered in such experimental rounds did we?

4. Staying with Ammo, when ur faced with challenges, and inadequacies of ur rifle, u experiment with your ammo to atleast make it more effective, so u have deep penetrating rounds like the M855 and the steel core M855A1, for M16 and M4s. To compensate for their lack of punch and stopping power. Any such modifications or Ammo evolution for the INSAS?

5. Finally you make my own case, in the last part of your answer, INSAS is a badly designed and unwieldy weapon with no clear role and objective designated for it. And as you say it happened coz of little involvement of forces who were going to actually use it. So India should get back to design board and start afresh learn from the experiences of the past 20-30 years, and projected threats and challenges of next 20-30 and create a platform we can be proud of, and can also be a great export proposition as well, giving a boost to our arms industry. Till thats done adopt a weapon which is best suited for current and short term challenges whether foreign made or indigenous. As far as armed forces requirements go we should be origin agnostic.

INSAS is definitely not a platform for the future, nor for the present. hell it weighs more than 4.5 Kgs, while a full 20 inch barrel M16 still weighs less than 4 Kgs when fully loaded, and its almost a 60 yr old design now.

Time to reboot, reset and redesign.
In 1999, we fought a three-month-long undeclared war with Pakistan. It was also the combat debut of India’s new Insas battle rifle.

During the conflict—waged over the disputed and mountainous Kargil district in the province of Kashmir—the Indian troops’ rifles jammed, and their cheap, 20-round plastic magazines cracked in the cold weather.

To make a terrible weapon worse, the Insas had a habit of spraying oil directly onto the handler’s face and eyes.
Designed to shoot in semi-automatic and three-round burst modes, some soldiers would pull the trigger, and the gun would unexpectedly spray rounds like a fully automatic.

Soldiers also preferred the heavier 7.62-millimeter rounds in the FAL rifle, which the Insas and its 5.56-millimeter rounds replaced.

Then in 2005, Maoist rebels attacked a Nepalese army base. The Nepalese troops had Insas rifles bought from India. During the 10-hour-long battle, the rifles overheated and stopped working. The Maoists overran the base and killed 43 soldiers.

“Maybe the weapons we were using were not designed for a long fight,” Nepalese army Brig. Gen. Deepak Gurung said after the battle. “They malfunctioned".
In November, Central Reserve Police—which uses the rifle—finally had enough. The CRPF is a counter-insurgency force tasked with fighting Maoist in several eastern states.

“We have sent a proposal to the government that all Insas rifles with the force be replaced by AK rifles,” CRPF general director Dilip Trivedi told theTimes of India. “The Insas has a problem of jamming. Compared to AK and X-95 guns, Insas fails far more frequently.”

Another CRPF soldier alleged New Delhi chose to “lose the lives of our jawans to promote a faulty indigenous gun,” he said.
The Insas make up almost half of the CRPF’s arsenal. That’s become an acute problem as Prime Minister Narendra Modi push the counter-insurgents to crack down hard on the Naxalites.

As part of this offensive, the CRPF is relying more on heavier weapons such as mortars and grenade launchers. At the same time, the Maoists are building bigger bombs to use against the CRPF’s armored, “mine-protected” vehicles.

But there’s larger reasons why the Insas is such an awful gun.
To be sure, India had practical needs for a new weapon. Well into the 1990s, the Army and para-military relied on a mix of old, 1950s-era FALs, Lee-Enfields — first developed in the 1890s — and Russian-made AK-type rifles.

The Insas turned into a hybrid, combining features of both the FAL and the AK-47. But the result was an awkward weapon—and one prone to failure.

A few years ago, a pseudonymous Indian gun blogger inspected several of the rifles.
There’s lots of redundant parts and features that seem to serve no purpose except to make the rifle more complicated and expensive to produce. Its plastic hand guard is wobbly. The gas cylinder—which powers the reloading mechanism—is prone to breaking.

The Insas is also “several times” more expensive than an AK, according to a 2012 report in The Hindu.

In addition to the plastic parts, there’s “four different kinds of metal, an amalgam almost guaranteed to impair their functioning in the extreme [mountainous] climates of Siachen and Rajasthan,” the paper added.

Nilkamal Plastics—the Indian plastic furniture giant—produces the crack-prone magazines.

“In the end it shoots fairly accurately and with reasonable reliability,” the gun blogger wrote. “But it’s plagued by shitty quality and needless refinements of dubious value.”
After the poor performance in the Kargil War, the Indian Army fixed some of the rifle’s flaws—such as the problem with the spraying oil. But the rifle still sucks.

Last year, the Army tested the Israeli Galil ACE, the American CM-901 Modular Carbine and the Italian ARX-160 rifles as a potential replacements. But it’ll still take years to swap out the Insas. And that’s a big if.

But remember what the counter-insurgency troops said. India could always buy more AKs.
I would like to know about Trichy Assault Rifles. It created some buzz...stated to be better than AK-47.

Last edited:

Mark Antony

@Kunal Biswas And you refuse to understand any other point except yours or consider any other POV...as i said we are at extreme positions...I find you very similar to AR-15 fanatics in the US who are so defensive about their weapon of choice that they refuse to hear any argument against it and consider AK to be a sub-standard non combat worthy platform :) As i said lets disengage and respectfully agree to disagree. Would continue my discussion with the more open-minded. Thanks for engaging though.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Your Ignorance is obvious, When even after correcting you are unable to spell right name of a Rifle, Which is been the topic of this debate you started ..

I wouldn't quote you unless you are wrong, I use the weapon and know abt it and i find what you said is wrong, Its that plain simple, I dislike anyone spreading disinformation abt something that we all use so often and has a relationship with it ..

Let me break your points..

==================

All firearms in their many first batches have issues including those which you mention, 1B1 presently is 3.5kgs without magazine and with it its not even 4kg heavy, It use more than one type of 5.56mm rounds, Suggest you go through threads before knee jerking ..

===============
===============

It depend from Army to Army requirements, What they prefer not necessarily have to be ours, Same visa versa.

Like M16, 1B1 has many versions from 1B to 1B1 and today 1B1 improved, But i think you hardly know abt your own origin before reading abt some Ameriki or Russi.

You are smart enough so i wont do the spoon feeding abt different versions of 1B1, read more into it ..

M16 sure was a failure but that rifle evolved so much, its now on series M16A4 which is currently in use by US Marines and besides it still has a standard 20 inch barrel. How many upgrades has the INSAS had since the 90s except the black furniture change. Dont think we can call Excalibur and upgarde coz thats a 16 inch separate rifle altogether.

===============
===============

'In the end, "footpounds of energy" is misleading, "stopping power" is a myth, and the "oneshot drop" is a rare possibility dependent more on the statistics of hit placement than weapon and ammunition selection. Effectiveness ultimately equates to the potential of the weapons system to eliminate its target as a militarily relevant threat."

In the end the U.S. Army found that no commercially available alternatives in 5.56mm ammunition performed measurably better than existing issued ammo (M855, M193, M995). This study was based on CQB effectiveness, and from the ranges of 0-50 meters all ammo tested performed similarly and none stood out as being clearly superior.

Also worth mention is that during this testing the U.S. Army also tested the M80 7.62x51mm round fired from an M14 to compare it to the performance of the 5.56mm in CQB conditions. It performed in the same band of performance as the 5.56mm ammo tested. They concluded that in a CQB situation the 7.62x51mm round offered no measurable performance benefit over the 5.56mm round.

One more important note, they also concluded that "shot placement trumps all other variables". This is something I've been saying for years (and in some of my videos found on my YouTube channel). Take the weapon you can best hit the target with, then worry about what caliber it is.

Source : http://wstiac.alionscience.com/pdf/WQV8N1_ART01.pdf

Read more into it, Before getting impressed with some marketing advertisements ..

========

There is a new 5.56 INSAS ammunition that has been approved but not inducted by the army. Probably higher velocity and weight than the current 64 grain ammunition in use.

Need for new Rifle for Army
INSAS Rifles
1.41 The media has reported that the services are not happy with this weapon
and want a better-one to counter threats, therefore, the Committee was desirous
to know the problems being faced by the forces in using the INSAS Rifle, what
DRDO has done for its improvement as well as they want to know reason of
failure of DRDO in coming upto the expectations of the forces in developing any
good Rifle. The Ministry in a written reply supplied the following information:
'(i) INSAS Rifle was designed and developed by DRDO based on
Qualitative Requirements (QRs) set in 1982 and met all QR parameters 26
and inducted into Service in 1996. The Rifle has been fully exploited since
then including OP Vijay in 1999. Subsequent to OP Vijay, the following
problems were observed:
(a) Loosening of flash eliminator
(b) Loosening of Piece guide
(c) Upper Hand Guard requirement
(d) Additional safety in firing mechanism
(e) Grenade sight requirement
(f) Improved Lever Locking Gas Cylinder
(ii) DRDO & Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) jointly took up product
improvement program based on the above feedback received from User.
Necessary improvements were carried out and introduced in the Improved
Rifle as Rifle Mark 1B1 in 2001.Later on, plastic magazine cracking
problem was reported. Earlier, the magazine were procured ex-trade. The
magazine production has now been established at Ordnance Factory Dum
Dum and problems have been resolved.'

1.42 The Ministry further stated:
'Lethality of INSAS Ammm perceived to be less. A Lethal Ammm design in
5.56 Caliber was evolved and the same was trial evaluated by user and
found acceptable by Indian Army in 2013 however, Army is yet to
introduce the same.'

1.43 On the cost of development it further stated that DRDO has developed the
INSAS weapon system at a cost of Rs.3.50 Cr. The necessary cost of
improvements was borne by OFB.The INSAS Rifle was developed based on GSQR No. 429 in 1982 meeting
all parameters. With the change in operational environment/war scenario a
new Rifle development under Tech demo mode was envisaged. To meet
the current requirement a state-of-the-art Rifle (Multi Caliber Individual
Weapon System, (MCIWS)) development was taken up as R&D project in

2008. The prototypes have been developed and are under evaluation'.

http://164.100.47.134/lsscommittee/Defence/16_Defence_3.pdf

Regarding 7.62 Vs 5.56, that debate has been on since forever, and especially fueled coz the sheer inadequacies of the M4 in Afghanistan which is a large calier battlefield. Youd be surprised to know , that the biggest killer of US and allied troops in Afghanistan is not 7.62x39 but rather the ancient 7.62x54R. Solution has been then have two cartridge variants of the same rifle, eg. FN SCAR H and SCAR L, HK 416 and 417, or an AR 10 for that matter. Did we ever have an INSAS 7.62 or even hear of it for different theates of war?
======================
======================

No Knowledge is better than Half knowledge ..

@Kunal Biswas And you refuse to understand any other point except yours or consider any other POV...as i said we are at extreme positions...I find you very similar to AR-15 fanatics in the US who are so defensive about their weapon of choice that they refuse to hear any argument against it and consider AK to be a sub-standard non combat worthy platform :) As i said lets disengage and respectfully agree to disagree. Would continue my discussion with the more open-minded. Thanks for engaging though.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Do Ask questions, Their is pool of knowledge here .. :)

But don`t get to quick conclusions, It irritates ..

Mark Antony

Your Ignorance is obvious, When even after correcting you are unable to spell right name of a Rifle, Which is been the topic of this debate you started ..

I wouldn't quote you unless you are wrong, I use the weapon and know abt it and i find what you said is wrong, Its that plain simple, I dislike anyone spreading disinformation abt something that we all use so often and has a relationship with it ..

Let me break your points..

==================

All firearms in their many first batches have issues including those which you mention, 1B1 presently is 3.5kgs without magazine and with it its not even 4kg heavy, It use more than one type of 5.56mm rounds, Suggest you go through threads before knee jerking ..

===============
===============

It depend from Army to Army requirements, What they prefer not necessarily have to be ours, Same visa versa.

Like M16, 1B1 has many versions from 1B to 1B1 and today 1B1 improved, But i think you hardly know abt your own origin before reading abt some Ameriki or Russi.

You are smart enough so i wont do the spoon feeding abt different versions of 1B1, read more into it ..

===============
===============

'In the end, "footpounds of energy" is misleading, "stopping power" is a myth, and the "oneshot drop" is a rare possibility dependent more on the statistics of hit placement than weapon and ammunition selection. Effectiveness ultimately equates to the potential of the weapons system to eliminate its target as a militarily relevant threat."

In the end the U.S. Army found that no commercially available alternatives in 5.56mm ammunition performed measurably better than existing issued ammo (M855, M193, M995). This study was based on CQB effectiveness, and from the ranges of 0-50 meters all ammo tested performed similarly and none stood out as being clearly superior.

Also worth mention is that during this testing the U.S. Army also tested the M80 7.62x51mm round fired from an M14 to compare it to the performance of the 5.56mm in CQB conditions. It performed in the same band of performance as the 5.56mm ammo tested. They concluded that in a CQB situation the 7.62x51mm round offered no measurable performance benefit over the 5.56mm round.

One more important note, they also concluded that "shot placement trumps all other variables". This is something I've been saying for years (and in some of my videos found on my YouTube channel). Take the weapon you can best hit the target with, then worry about what caliber it is.

Source : http://wstiac.alionscience.com/pdf/WQV8N1_ART01.pdf

Read more into it, Before getting impressed with some marketing advertisements ..

========

There is a new 5.56 INSAS ammunition that has been approved but not inducted by the army. Probably higher velocity and weight than the current 64 grain ammunition in use.

http://164.100.47.134/lsscommittee/Defence/16_Defence_3.pdf

======================
======================

No Knowledge is better than Half knowledge ..
Damn, you really are the fanatical fanboy arent you? and i seeming to have gotten your goat by swinging at your fav. toy.
Would counter only 1 point from the entire gibbrish youve posted, Heres what OFB the manufacturer of your dear fearless rifle has to say about the specifications of a standard 5.56 INSAS rifle, the same rifle i have been talking about all along...http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/11.htm
And if you can read...look at the weight row..it says 4.15 KG without bayonet or magazine...which would easily cross 4.5 KG, when fitted with a fully loaded magazine . And thats what ive been saying all along....would rather go with the official specifications than what your opinion is...I rest my case.

"No Knowledge is better than half-knowledge...But self-deluded Mania is absolutely the worst"

PS. If you ever drop stateside maybe id lend you an AR-15/M16, to fire, we can surely discuss INSAS or whatever you call it, post that eh?

So long....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Was`t passing opinions but statements based on my experience first hand, Calling names does not makes you or your post smart and attractive ..

That page existed since 2003, The improved variant only start inducting at large during early 2015, Government sites do not update on regular basis, You should know that before you decided to post it ..

==========

I know few of my friends who use M4 and TAR21 personally, And they have and still invite me at their unit range, I think AR15 is better suited to you, Thanks for asking. :cowboy:

Our Dear Moderator @pmaitra Lives in states and can give you good insight abt INSAS makers as he know them, I am just a user ..

Damn, you really are the fanatical fanboy arent you?

i have been talking about all along...http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/11.htm

And thats what ive been saying all along....would rather go with the official specifications than what your opinion is...I rest my case..

Last edited:

Mark Antony

Was`t passing opinions but statements based on my experience first hand, Calling names does not makes you or your post smart and attractive ..

That page exsisted since 2003, The improved variant only start inducting in early 2015, Government sites do not update on regular basis, You should know that before you decided to post it ..
Am not into calling names at all but you are continuing this argument, unnecessarily, if you did read my prev. post. i did say we`re at extreme irreconcilable positions on this topic and lets respectfully disengage. What part of it u didnt get? Why on earth shud i go with your version? The guys who manufacture the stuff have to be the last word. Ive never fired a standard 5.56 but ive held it, have extensively fired AR-15/M16, and if ur telling me there is some secret standard version which is as light or lighter than the latter, then do produce an authentic source for it. Heck even Excalibur which for your knowledge is also listed on this so called 2003-2004 version of the website as per you, and even that is shade heavier than 4 KGs when fully loaded. So what are we even talking about here.

Would state again, lets disengage, ive no time for bigotry of any kind, be it for a damn sub-standard rifle.

So long....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
For Knowledge purposes >>

Limited production version of Assault Rifle 5.56mm back in 2003 ( Older 1B1 in black ) , None issued to Army

==============

Improved 1B1 in 2015 issued to many Infantry unit at front as well as peace area in mass, Replacing majority of older 1B1 in orange, The area of improvement is metallurgy mainly ..

============

You are quoting same outdated website, Despite knowing its outdated, Ignorance at best ..

I have provided sufficient information for you for a debated that you started, On providing reply with source you started calling names, Further on you turn blind eye to given facts and keep on running with same old outdated government website and now you are losing your cool and unable to discuss a debate in civil, least said is better ..

Would state again, lets disengage, ive no time for bigotry of any kind, be it for a damn sub-standard rifle.

So long....
Heck even Excalibur which for your knowledge is also listed on this so called 2003-2004 version of the website as per you, and even that is shade heavier than 4 KGs when fully loaded. So what are we even talking about here..

Last edited:

Mark Antony

So says Self-Appointed COAS @Kunal Biswas who also serves as DG OFB...and all his posts self-authenticate and do not require any source verification...but would still not provide an authentic source proving a Sub-4Kg 5.56 INSAS standard rifle in existence...be it of any colour furniture...I dont have time for this...bbye mate. I am a goner.

Mark Antony

My parting shot especially coz u seem totally incapable of providing any authentic source except yourself ofcourse...Ever heard of a rifle getting sued or court intervention sought to get it replaced? Well your dearest fearless rifle has that rare achievement and notoriety too...http://zeenews.india.com/news/india...-regularly-improved-centre-to-hc_1642364.html

PS: If you can find an INSAS standard 5.56 18 inch barrel rifle, which weighs less than 4 Kg with a fully loaded 20/30 rd magazine, do let me know, id try and figure out a way to get one imported to US.

So long dear friend, and take it easy, do not get too emotional about rifles/weapons, they are nothing but tools. Finger on the trigger is what matters.

harsh

Country flag
My parting shot especially coz u seem totally incapable of providing any authentic source except yourself ofcourse...Ever heard of a rifle getting sued or court intervention sought to get it replaced? Well your dearest fearless rifle has that rare achievement and notoriety too...http://zeenews.india.com/news/india...-regularly-improved-centre-to-hc_1642364.html

PS: If you can find an INSAS standard 5.56 18 inch barrel rifle, which weighs less than 4 Kg with a fully loaded 20/30 rd magazine, do let me know, id try and figure out a way to get one imported to US.

So long dear friend, and take it easy, do not get too emotional about rifles/weapons, they are nothing but tools. Finger on the trigger is what matters.
Lets debate on facts
insas is heavy

Yes it is heavy by standard( a 4.5 kg gun). But in 1990 with indian army requirements it is good now it is not.

Does it kill

Yes it kill with 5.56 round it has same problems which every rifle has but it kills. It works in every condition. It is a very reliable rifle. You can not win with a modern rifle which jams in your country environment.
Recently indian army take a test of assult rifle to induct 60000 of them in army but every rifle failed in our environment and specifications.
Only excaliber passed it.
So for you
If you want suggest any rifle in army you can free for suggestions but please check whether or not it passed the test.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
So says Self-Appointed COAS @Kunal Biswas who also serves as DG OFB...and all his posts self-authenticate and do not require any source verification...but would still not provide an authentic source proving a Sub-4Kg 5.56 INSAS standard rifle in existence...be it of any colour furniture...I dont have time for this...bbye mate. I am a goner.
We don't require authentication posted by kunal Biswas he serves in army.
Every thing you have been posting is from outdated websites and stupid articles written by media.
If u need any recent updates see answers given in parliamentary session.

Mark Antony

We don't require authentication posted by kunal Biswas he serves in army.
Every thing you have been posting is from outdated websites and stupid articles written by media.
If u need any recent updates see answers given in parliamentary session.
Thats the most unscientific thing ive ever heard.
In social Media we call this blind following, Bhakti.

Why have this forum in the first place if you are prepared to take the word of an individual as gospel truth?
there can not any holy cows in a forum or taboo topics, coz then it shall cease to be a forum, and turn into a fan page instead.

All my respect for Mr Biswas, whether he is serving or not.
But i would especially not take his word at face value if he was serving, coz he would be coming
from an entrenched position on a topic as sensitive as his service rifle, some soldiers are very can be very touchy about it either ways.

The govt. website you refer to is that of OFB, those guys actually manufacture this stuff, and we should ignore whatever specifications they are authenticating? Haha i dont see the logic here.

If you wudve cared to read that so called news article, its about a petition filed in Delhi HC last year, to get INSAS rifles discontinued and replaced, and the petitioner was one Lt. Col (Retd.) Deepak Malhotra, but well you wont take his word has gospel truth eh? Maybe his service to the army and the country didnt count either.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
@Mark Antony . We don't have any other member coming forward to share his experience of handling Insas, on this forum. Somebody can submit a RTI query to MoD to elicit a response. But I doubt whether they will come out with truth.
Mr. Kunal Biswas is vastly experienced and he, certainly is not biased. Still, a 2nd, 3rd opinion is in order.

Mark Antony

Lets debate on facts
insas is heavy

Yes it is heavy by standard( a 4.5 kg gun). But in 1990 with indian army requirements it is good now it is not.

Does it kill

Yes it kill with 5.56 round it has same problems which every rifle has but it kills. It works in every condition. It is a very reliable rifle. You can not win with a modern rifle which jams in your country environment.
Recently indian army take a test of assult rifle to induct 60000 of them in army but every rifle failed in our environment and specifications.
Only excaliber passed it.
So for you
If you want suggest any rifle in army you can free for suggestions but please check whether or not it passed the test.
To talk of INSAS as a good reliable rifle is so pointless, i wouldn't even get into it.
If it was such a good rifle it wouldn't be getting replaced so quickly, within 20 yrs.
Army was looking for a replacement way even before that. So lets not discuss that.

Excalibur, is an unknown entity and a new rifle, its lighter and also has a shorter 16 inch barrel.
I too read about that endurance test and would be extremely happy if that was really the case.

By the way, my country is India, and interests of the Indian soldier closest to my heart, otherwise why would I be on this forum in the firstplace. Karmabhoomi kitni bhi badal jaye, Matrabhoomi ek hi rehti hai sadaiv :)

So I am not pushing any rifle as against Exaclibur, simply coz we frankly do not know much about it, so how can one be against it?

But it having evolved from the INSAS platform and the shoddy craftsmanship of OFB creates doubts in ones mind and as i said i am dead against the entire INSAS platform, and would rather India start afresh and create a new small arms system from scratch keeping the next 30 yrs in mind.

However, solution in my view would be very heavy and large scale involvement of ex-servicemen and potential users, including those from the paramilitary and CAPF in the evolution and development process.

Let it not be developed in isolation, few prototypes should also be deployed in active fronts, like Siachin, Maoist areas, J&K COIN ops, North East etc. And suitable modifications carried out based on this experience and feedback.

If a world class indigenous, rifle can be created which serves the purpose of the Indian Soldier, keeps him alive in battle and gives him a killing edge,

why on earth would anyone have a problem with that? Heck i hope they create a semi-auto civilian export version, would give all of us flaunting and boasting rights. would love to see an Indian made rifle being fired on US ranges at a large scale.

Looking forward to that.

Mark Antony

@Mark Antony . We don't have any other member coming forward to share his experience of handling Insas, on this forum. Somebody can submit a RTI query to MoD to elicit a response. But I doubt whether they will come out with truth.
Mr. Kunal Biswas is vastly experienced and he, certainly is not biased. Still, a 2nd, 3rd opinion is in order.
As i said, i deeply respect Mr. Biswas, whether or not hes serving, and i do not hold his opinion against him. But coming from a armed forces family, I do not take their word on face value or gospel truth reg. everything military or any other issues for that matter. Im a nosy nonconformist bastard anyways :)

There is an Ex-Army gentleman called @_cosmic_grain_ on twitter, if you are on twitter try talking to him on INSAS and all other things military. Both me and Yusuf of DFI tried to pursue him to be out here and share his vast and varied experiences but well failed.

Would try getting someone from my family or circle to talk about their trysts with INSAS someday, if i can.

PS. This is the first time ive encountered ppl and especially potential Indian soldiers so passionate and protective about the INSAS, normally its the 1A1 SLR or more so the AK. Kinda interesting. hee hee

harsh

Country flag
To talk of INSAS as a good reliable rifle is so pointless, i wouldn't even get into it.
If it was such a good rifle it wouldn't be getting replaced so quickly, within 20 yrs.
Army was looking for a replacement way even before that. So lets not discuss that.

Excalibur, is an unknown entity and a new rifle, its lighter and also has a shorter 16 inch barrel.
I too read about that endurance test and would be extremely happy if that was really the case.

By the way, my country is India, and interests of the Indian soldier closest to my heart, otherwise why would I be on this forum in the firstplace. Karmabhoomi kitni bhi badal jaye, Matrabhoomi ek hi rehti hai sadaiv :)

So I am not pushing any rifle as against Exaclibur, simply coz we frankly do not know much about it, so how can one be against it?

But it having evolved from the INSAS platform and the shoddy craftsmanship of OFB creates doubts in ones mind and as i said i am dead against the entire INSAS platform, and would rather India start afresh and create a new small arms system from scratch keeping the next 30 yrs in mind.

However, solution in my view would be very heavy and large scale involvement of ex-servicemen and potential users, including those from the paramilitary and CAPF in the evolution and development process.

Let it not be developed in isolation, few prototypes should also be deployed in active fronts, like Siachin, Maoist areas, J&K COIN ops, North East etc. And suitable modifications carried out based on this experience and feedback.

If a world class indigenous, rifle can be created which serves the purpose of the Indian Soldier, keeps him alive in battle and gives him a killing edge,

why on earth would anyone have a problem with that? Heck i hope they create a semi-auto civilian export version, would give all of us flaunting and boasting rights. would love to see an Indian made rifle being fired on US ranges at a large scale.

Looking forward to that.

Bhai vahi purani bakvas fir 1 bar or fir barm bar

Please accept this
Indian army has its specification according to the regions where it is deoloyed.
Right now only two rifle is working insas and ak 47.
Only 1 passed the test recently which is galil
All others so called mordern almighty rifles had failed in test. Name one which ever you like which is suitable to the environment and also to the economy of india if you know.

Or nahi to jo chalti h vahi bandok h baki sab kabad h

Mark Antony

Bhai vahi purani bakvas fir 1 bar or fir barm bar

Please accept this
Indian army has its specification according to the regions where it is deoloyed.
Right now only two rifle is working insas and ak 47.
Only 1 passed the test recently which is galil
All others so called mordern almighty rifles had failed in test. Name one which ever you like which is suitable to the environment and also to the economy of india if you know.

Or nahi to jo chalti h vahi bandok h baki sab kabad h
Dude, what part of of my rather long answer u didnt get?...
As i`m learning rather quickly this forum is more like Entrenched Views India than Defence Forum India...
Anyways you be happy with your POV...Peace Out and Kapeesh...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Brigadier Ray Sir, Was a great addition to this forum unfortunately he is no more, Ray Sir was third generation Solider and Gentlemen and respected moderator on this forum, I suggest please go through his post and understand his views instead ranting away, Their is nothing much to add ..

Follow his posts >> http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/insas-rifle-lmg-carbine.43826/page-50

============
============

From the source you provided >>

{{{"...None of the court of inquiries, conducted in the recent Naxal strike in Dantewara district, Chhattisgarh, has blamed INSAS rifles for the death of soldiers," they said."As such, the reply did not mention that the weapon was outdated or defective." it added. }}}

.Ever heard of a rifle getting sued or court intervention sought to get it replaced? Well your dearest fearless rifle has that rare achievement and notoriety too...http://zeenews.india.com/news/india...-regularly-improved-centre-to-hc_1642364.html

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

From 1:37 to 3:10 mins, The Vid is 3 year old ..

============
============

Regarding Excalibur ..

Indian Army Chief of Staff General Dalbir Singh is strongly backing Excalibur as it is a 'Make in India' programme and so fits in with the government's preference for locally manufactured equipment. He has posted infantry officers at RFI to conduct test firings and offer advice on design improvement, sources said.

On 1 September Gen Singh, accompanied by Lieutenant General Sanjay Kulkarni, Director General Infantry (DGI), visited the RFI and personally conducted the 'water' and 'mud' tests on the rifle, which it reportedly cleared. Both officers also proposed ergonomic alterations to the rifle to render it more user-friendly.

The army opted for the Excalibur after scrapping its 2011 tender for 66,000 multicalibre assault rifles in June, as none of the four foreign models tested met its qualitative requirements.

The OFB aims to begin series producing Excalibur on modified INSAS production lines at RFI in 2016 .

Source : http://www.janes.com/article/54148/indian-army-pushes-ahead-with-excalibur-rifle-programme

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles