SM Krishna to boost ties with Middle East, Israel

ejazr

Ambassador
A very crucial upcoming week where MEA will be working its levers in the West Asia region. A very long due visit to Israel following E Ahamed's (MOS MEA) visit last year to Israel, Palestine and Jordan.

SM Krishna to boost ties with Middle East, Israel - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: Stepping up ties with the energy-rich Middle East, home to a six million-strong Indian diaspora, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna on Sunday begins a whirlwind four-day visit of Jordan, Israel, the United Arab Emirates and Palestine.

Krishna will hold talks with his Jordanian counterpart Sunday focusing on expanding economic ties between the two countries. The Middle East peace process will figure prominently in discussions in Amman and other capitals in the region that Krishna will visit during this trip, government sources said here Saturday.

The showpiece of the visit will, however, be Krishna's talks with the senior Israeli leadership in Tel Aviv Monday.

This will be the first visit by an Indian external affairs minister to Israel in 11 years and coincides with the 20th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between New Delhi and Tel Aviv.

In Tel Aviv, Krishna will call on Israeli President Simon Peres and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and hold extensive talks with Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Avigdor Lieberman.

The two countries are expected to sign an extradition treaty and an agreement on transfer of sentenced people that will boost security cooperation between the two countries, said the sources.

Besides the defence and economic ties, the major focus of talks in Israel, a leader in dry land farming technologies, will be on expanding cooperation in the area of agriculture.

India sees Israel as a crucial partner in its ongoing efforts to launch a second green revolution and to boost food security. The two sides are also expected to unveil a composite Indo-Israeli fund for spurring research and development across a spectrum of areas.

Expanding defence and counter-terror cooperation will also figure prominently in the talks. In recent years Israel has emerged as India's second largest defence supplier after Russia.

After the trip to Tel Aviv, Krishna will travel to Ramallah to meet Prime Minister of the Palestine National Authority Salam Fayaad, and is expected to announce fresh aid for the development of the Palestinian territory. He is expected to reiterate India's commitment to an independent Palestinian state living in peace with Israel.

India was the first non-Arab country to recognise the statehood of Palestine in 1988 when it was declared.

Krishna concludes his visit to the region, which supplies over 60 percent of oil to India, with a stopover at Dubai where he is expected to explore fresh investment by the UAE into India.

The UAE, home to over 1.5 million Indians, is India's largest trading partner in the region with a $67 billion bilateral trade.

The Middle East peace process will be a recurrent theme of discussions throughout Krishna's visit. India, a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council, is expected to stress on dialogue to achieve lasting peace in the region that directly affects its own energy and economic interests.

Krishna's statements on the peace process will be watched closely as many countries have been pressing New Delhi to play a more proactive role in the region, given its strong ties with both Arab nations and Israel.

mayfair

Krishna's statements on the peace process will be watched closely as many countries have been pressing New Delhi to play a more proactive role in the region, given its strong ties with both Arab nations and Israel.
No thank you. We engage to the extent necessary to service our national interests. The situation there is a buggers muddle, why light a fuse under our chair?

I am certain there are no countries that want have been pushing us to poke our noses where it's neither welcome nor neccesary. Some wanker behind the newsdesk or nudged by a shadow entity wants to stir up shite.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Well first make UAE come clean on its Haqqani supported block in Astan.

Indo-Oman relations are doing good with unprecedented co-ordination but UAE has different sets of teeth.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
As if we don't have enough problems at home already.

There are a few things the foreign affairs office has to come out clean with:

- Put pressure on UAE and KSA to stop clandestine financial assistance to Haqqani network, Taliban and other rogue elements in Afghanistan that are a threat to our people stationed there for construction and infrastructure projects. Most of these attacks that come out of Afghanistan targeted against Indians have the diverted financial assistance of money that flows from sympathizers in countries like KSA, Kuwait and UAE. Whether this is intentional or not cannot be determined by us civilians but a lot of "dawwah" and supposed-religious charity money gets channeled into these Jihadi groups.

In short, these countries must follow at least Oman and Bahrain's examples of non-intervention in an already politically sensitive stage.

- Affirm support to Israel occasionally on international forums to some extent because while Israelis understand our political situation, we must not let image take a control of ourselves. If we have say, supported Arabs 10 out of 20 times, we must support Israel 10 times as well to make it truly neutral and even.

- There has to be extensive willingness that has to be noted from the governments of aforementioned countries in order to eradicate terror from Pakistan as most money that is channeled into Pakistan comes from these Gulf countries. Here the donor has to be proactive. If KSA has to continue its sick mentality of spreading jihad like medieval days (with money today), then we need to geopolitically re-think our resource strategy and consider alternates. I see China is already way ahead in that area by becoming single-largest importer of Iranian oil and now looking for the same in IOR region.

Only then we should consider taking part in middle east's problems AFTER we have solved our own.

यहाँ तो सरकार स्वयं ही चोर है.... दूसरों को क्या कहना..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I do not know what juggad UAE has devised that not even US could make it abandon Haqqani support. Its not too much to ask MEA put pressure but looks like there is some deal between UAE/US/India.

ejazr

Ambassador
I can understand UAE and Saudi nationals in their individual capacities or Pakistani/Afghan nationals using these countries as a base to fund their activities but its very unlikely the UAE/Saudi govt. are involved in funding the Taliban or the Haqqani network.

Haqqani network is closely linked to Al Qaeda which is completely anti-Saudi and anti-UAE govt. and both have been involved in shutting down AQ networks particularly in the Arabian Peninsular region as well as there financial support lines and fund raising networks.

UAE infact has the largest Arab force in Afghanistan supporting the ISAF forces and I think it is the only Arab country that takes part in full fledged operations as well. It would be hard to believe that UAE will send troops into Afghanistan on one hand and support Taliban which are out to kill them on the other. Here is a documentary on UAE armed forces in Afghanistan.
http://defenceforumindia.com/docume...-uae-armed-forces-afghanistan.html#post393249

Personally what I would find interesting are the following issues
(1) Iran is a big question. There was a huge Saudi trade delegation with important ministers that visited India just last week. Now SM Krishna is visiting Jordan, Israel and UAE. That covers the most important stakeholders for an Iranian sanction or even a future Iranian attack. The GoI position would be to allow India to continue to import Iranian oil despite the sanctions and maybe even invest in connectivity between Afghanistan and Iran. What it should certainly do is pacify UAE/Saudis/Israelis e.t.c. that attack on Iran will be counterproductive not least because it will impact the Indian economy and stability on our peripheral region, particularly when we have a US drawdown happening in Afghanistan which will require Indian focus. This would be the single most important issue to discuss in the current context.

(2) Discussion on Arab Spring and the need to democratise their countries and to let them know that India can provide technology as well as ideas on how to make the democratic transition sucessful with things like setting up of Election Comissions and EVMs

(3) Security and intelligence cooperation with UAE on Afghanistan, particualarly regarding a post-US scenario were maybe both UAE and India would be training Afghan troops or supplying them equiment.

(4) Both the Israelis and Palestinians have been favourable for an Indian role in the peace process but other than acknowledging the two state solution where both Israel and Palestine have the right to live side by side we can't do much. The two state solution is acknowledged by both sides and is supported by the Arab Peace Initiative of 2002 the summary being that if Israel recognises Palestine int he pre-1967 are give or take boundary adjusments, then all Arab countries will recognise Israel and establish trade and diplomatic relations with it as part of the Middle East community. It would be interesting to see if any statements around this come about although I would expect GoI to remain firmly in the principled stand of two-state solution and nothing else.

Last edited:

tiranga

Tihar Jail
Banned
Whatever you trade with ME, jut dont trade radicalism and terrorism

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
He is there to prevail upon Israel not to bomb Iran's nuke reprocessing plant under the mountains near Qum.

It is believed that within the month or so such an action is planned.

That is what the Telegraph Kolkata reports.

ejazr

Ambassador
Israel backs India for UN permanent seat

Jerusalem, Jan 10: Hailing India as the "greatest democracy on earth" and "a great culture", Israel has backed India for a permanent seat on the expanded United Nations Security Council.

"For us India is first of all a culture. Then it is for us the greatest democracy on earth and then the unbelievable achievement of overcoming poverty without becoming poor in freedom," Israeli President Shimon Peres said Monday night while welcoming India's External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna to his country.

"I wish that India would become a permanent member of the Security Council," Peres said.
Krishna Monday began a two-day visit to Israel, the first by an Indian foreign minister to that country in the last 11 years.
Describing Mahatma Gandhi as a "prophet" and former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru a "king", Peres said India was "fortunate that it had two great and unforgettable leaders".
"We are following India with great care and interest, not just in the political sense but being a citizen of the world, we think that without India and China hunger would govern the world," he said.
Krishna called Peres "a statesman of calibre" and held up Israel as an inspiration for India for achieving self-sufficiency in food production. "I think it's about time for the leaderships of both the countries to set the agenda for the coming decade. So I think it is in that spirit that I have come here," said Krishna.
In his speech, Krishna stressed that Israel has emerged "a stronger nation after every war".
"I think the entire world looks to you with great respect," Krishna said while voicing satisfaction at the way the relations between the two countries have been burgeoning since they established diplomatic ties in 1992.
"We look forward to continued bilateral relationship... politically there are no problems as such. Now I think the economic content has to become more assertive and to keep growing. I think the relationship is going on very healthy," Krishna said.
Krishna will call on Peres and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Tel Aviv later Tuesday and hold extensive talks with Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Avigdor Lieberman.
The two countries are expected to sign an extradition treaty and an agreement on transfer of sentenced people that will boost security cooperation between the two countries, sources said.
Besides defence and economic ties, the major focus of talks in Israel, a leader in dry land farming technologies, will be on expanding cooperation in the area of agriculture.
India sees Israel as a key partner in its ongoing efforts to launch a second green revolution and to boost food security. The two sides are also expected to unveil a composite Indo-Israeli fund for spurring research and development across a spectrum of areas.
Expanding defence and counter-terror cooperation will also figure prominently in the talks. Israel has emerged as India's second largest defence supplier after Russia.

Reactions: KS

KS

Bye bye DFI
I somehow think India is in a Unique position to help broker a deal between the Palestinians and Israelis...If this happens it would be a coup of sorts and India's single biggest FP achievement of all time.

trackwhack

Jerusalem, Jan 10: Hailing India as the "greatest democracy on earth" and "a great culture", Israel has backed India for a permanent seat on the expanded United Nations Security Council.

"For us India is first of all a culture. Then it is for us the greatest democracy on earth and then the unbelievable achievement of overcoming poverty without becoming poor in freedom," Israeli President Shimon Peres said Monday night while welcoming India's External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna to his country.

"I wish that India would become a permanent member of the Security Council," Peres said.
Krishna Monday began a two-day visit to Israel, the first by an Indian foreign minister to that country in the last 11 years.
Describing Mahatma Gandhi as a "prophet" and former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru a "king", Peres said India was "fortunate that it had two great and unforgettable leaders".
"We are following India with great care and interest, not just in the political sense but being a citizen of the world, we think that without India and China hunger would govern the world," he said.
Krishna called Peres "a statesman of calibre" and held up Israel as an inspiration for India for achieving self-sufficiency in food production. "I think it's about time for the leaderships of both the countries to set the agenda for the coming decade. So I think it is in that spirit that I have come here," said Krishna.
In his speech, Krishna stressed that Israel has emerged "a stronger nation after every war".
"I think the entire world looks to you with great respect," Krishna said while voicing satisfaction at the way the relations between the two countries have been burgeoning since they established diplomatic ties in 1992.
"We look forward to continued bilateral relationship... politically there are no problems as such. Now I think the economic content has to become more assertive and to keep growing. I think the relationship is going on very healthy," Krishna said.
Krishna will call on Peres and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Tel Aviv later Tuesday and hold extensive talks with Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Avigdor Lieberman.
The two countries are expected to sign an extradition treaty and an agreement on transfer of sentenced people that will boost security cooperation between the two countries, sources said.
Besides defence and economic ties, the major focus of talks in Israel, a leader in dry land farming technologies, will be on expanding cooperation in the area of agriculture.
India sees Israel as a key partner in its ongoing efforts to launch a second green revolution and to boost food security. The two sides are also expected to unveil a composite Indo-Israeli fund for spurring research and development across a spectrum of areas.
Expanding defence and counter-terror cooperation will also figure prominently in the talks. Israel has emerged as India's second largest defence supplier after Russia.
When Isrealis talk about India, it sounds sincere. When Obama came here, everytime he spoke it was as though someone had rammed a pole up his backside and he was regurgitating what was fed to him. Fake and hollow

Last edited:

trackwhack

I somehow think India is in a Unique position to help broker a deal between the Palestinians and Israelis...If this happens it would be a coup of sorts and India's single biggest FP achievement of all time.
You think the Arabs want peace? They want total Jewish annihilation. If they wanted peace, Palestine would have been a reality a long time back.

sukhish

I was expecting this. the weapons deal made it sure shot that they would through thier support behind us.

bhramos

Country flag
India calls for stepping up counter-terror cooperation with Israel

Foreign minster SM Krishna with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (L)in Jerusalem.India has called for scaling up counter-terror and economic cooperation with Israel.(sevenoya)

JERUSALEM: India has called for scaling up counter-terror and economic cooperation with Israel, which has emerged as it second largest supplier of sophisticated military weapons.

"My visit primarily would be focusing on the economic content, security, terror - these are some of the issues which are commonly faced both by Israel as well as India," external affairs minister SM Krishna said with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at his side.

"We will have to work out a strategy as to how we address ourselves to the scourge of international terrorism which has become the curse for the entire humanity," said Krishna.

"I think our efforts should be to checkmate and ultimately eradicate terrorists from the face of the earth," he added.

Since the 26/11 Mumbai carnage, in which six Israeli nationals were also killed, counter-terror cooperation between India and Israel has intensified.

Krishna on Monday began a two-day visit to Israel, the first by an Indian foreign minister to that country in the last 11 years.

Krishna stressed that he was visiting Israel to chart out a road map for the next two decades of bilateral cooperation. "We have learned so much from Israel, particularly in the field of agriculture and science and technology innovation," he said.

"And India is naturally an ally of Israel in all these frontiers of science and I look forward to an increased economic content to our existing political relationship," Krishna said.

Netanyahu struck an upbeat note on the trajectory of India's relations with Israel which have been blossoming since the two countries established diplomatic ties two decades ago.

"India and Israel are two ancient peoples seizing the future: in technology, in innovation, in enterprise, and I think we can seize it even better by our cooperation," said Netanyahu.

"So I look forward to discuss with you all these areas of cooperation between us, including the signing in the near future of a free trade agreement to multiply our trade and to increase the cooperation economically between India and Israel," he said.

illusion8

He is there to prevail upon Israel not to bomb Iran's nuke reprocessing plant under the mountains near Qum.

It is believed that within the month or so such an action is planned.

That is what the Telegraph Kolkata reports.
There is an increase in the number of voices inside Israel raising issues against India's covert support to Iran in International forums, If not for the numerous deals it would be very difficult in the future to balance relations between Israel and Iran. The Israeli's definitely see us as good friends but our support to Iran is beginning to rankle them.

I think there a lot of similarities between us, we are the last domains of our respective faiths - Jewism and Hinduism, we have sworn enemies in the muslims who outnumber us and all around us. We both are victims of islamic fundamentalism. and the muslims hate both of us. An open acceptance of our friendship would be welcome if not for the oil and gas which we need from islamic countries.

Last edited:

sukhish

we can make a deal with them, we reduce our support for iran in international forums if they also do the same for pakistan
atleast in terms of nuclear arseals.

KS

Bye bye DFI
You think the Arabs want peace? They want total Jewish annihilation. If they wanted peace, Palestine would have been a reality a long time back.
There are hardliners like Hamas..but there are also pragmatists..

India should bring them together.

KS

Bye bye DFI

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
International diplomacy is always a balancing act.

You play around with the US and Russia the same time, china and the US the same time, the US and iran the same time, china and east asia the same time, Russia and japan the same time, arabs and the Persians the same time, jews and arabs the same time, Persians and jews the same time and so on.

The reason people have grown so "fond" of us is not because of some love that has sparkled overnight. India has the money, India is throwing it around, people are following it and most importantly, we are seen as a rising power which will have a significant sway on international affairs as the time goes by. Try being the India of 40s-80s and then see the reaction of each of these.

As far as Israel is concerned, if tomorrow Pakistan was to agree to have diplomatic ties and even defence ties, they will most happily do it because that would be the biggest diplomatic coup for them, the hitch is on pakistan's side, not on israel's. As such there are reports of some defence dealing that took place between Pakistan and Israel, though covertly. Same with china, if tomorrow the US says they have no issues on military equipment/technology transfer to them, Israel would be busy cutting deals with them, they have shown that in the past and they have every reason to do it if allowed.

Irrespective of what India and china say on Palestine or otherwise, given a chance, Israel will deal with both because both are the powers to get along with in times to come because these will be the powers which will do the balancing act like what was being done by the US solely till recent past.

The thing to note here is the stand taken by Krishna on terrorism and he has not minced words on that, the countries brought under focus directly are Pakistan, iran and GCC, that is a very significant signaling to these countries.

Diplomacy isn't about emotions, interests are paramount, and for that one needs to know one's strengths well and the need on part of others, we do know that well and we are negotiating well with everyone. I don't mind if tomorrow Krishna was to go to iran or ksa or Palestine and tells them to take it easy on Israel, which is precisely how it should be. On the same note I may add, if the PM can visit ksa/GCC and intends to visit iran, he should have it in him to visit Israel as well, and not let domestic or regional politics take better off him. Further, India should also have it in itself where we can deliver absolutely the same message in KSA on iran. My only concern would be if this had some domestic considerations, but I doubt that was the case.

Incidently India has snubbed the US on economic ties with iran, and so it should be, we are not living on charity that we owe it to someone, national interests paramount, and so it be.

As for the Americans, officials say India will largely ignore US unhappiness on this score, pointing out that if both countries are growing allies and partners, the US must also understand India's concerns.

http://defenceforumindia.com/foreig...us-call-economic-freeze-opens.html#post395597
Message needs to absolutely clear, people start to adjust to our way and not how it has happened in the past, where it was their way or the highway for us.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles