SLBM K-15 test rescheduled to Jan 31

sandeepdg

May i know why you think like that ?
Well, we haven't inducted the Agni-3 as yet, no guarantee as to when it will be inducted. I don't see the Agni-3's induction happening anytime soon, maybe at least 3-5 years away, I suppose. Even now we are testing the K-15 from a pontoon. Plus, when the Arihant will be ready for induction is still not sure, its stated weapons load will be 12 K-15s or four K-4s. So, as long as there's no confirmation as to whether the first Arihant will carry the K-4 whenever it is inducted, I will stay skeptical that the K-4 has been perfected and is ready for induction. And finally, I said "I doubt", I can always be proved wrong and I will be happy for it.

plugwater

Well, we haven't inducted the Agni-3 as yet, no guarantee as to when it will be inducted. I don't see the Agni-3's induction happening anytime soon, maybe at least 3-5 years away, I suppose. Even now we are testing the K-15 from a pontoon. Plus, when the Arihant will be ready for induction is still not sure, its stated weapons load will be 12 K-15s or four K-4s. So, as long as there's no confirmation as to whether the first Arihant will carry the K-4 whenever it is inducted, I will stay skeptical that the K-4 has been perfected and is ready for induction. And finally, I said "I doubt", I can always be proved wrong and I will be happy for it.
India has already started to induct Agni 3 as per some article i read before, anyway i will try to find the source. Arihant-1 will be inducted in 2012 or 2013, No point inducting a SSBN without any missiles on it so we can conclude that atleast K-15 will be ready by then. Once all the technologies in K-15 is perfected its not going to be much problem to make K-4 or K-XX as it involves only increase in range. So i guess we surely will have a much higher range SLBM by 2017.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
India has already started to induct Agni 3 as per some article i read before, anyway i will try to find the source. Arihant-1 will be inducted in 2012 or 2013, No point inducting a SSBN without any missiles on it so we can conclude that atleast K-15 will be ready by then. Once all the technologies in K-15 is perfected its not going to be much problem to make K-4 or K-XX as it involves only increase in range. So i guess we surely will have a much higher range SLBM by 2017.
The problem is that we test too much and most of our weapons end up remaining in test phase because of this lack of confidence compared to what Chinese, Russians and Americans do. Half the time we keep testing inducted missiles rather than inducting new ones fast. Agni-III should technically join us this year; Sagarika should be ready by next year and the K-4 series also by next year; which means not just Arihant has to clear trials but also clear testing of launching these missiles a few times before deployment.

Also I don't know why we impose self restrictions so much on stupid philosophies. What is 700 Km going to do to PLAN in case of war? Kill a couple of fishes in the South China Sea? Our SSBN missiles should be at least 3,500-7,000 Km in range. Sandeep raises valuable points.

plugwater

Also I don't know why we impose self restrictions so much on stupid philosophies. What is 700 Km going to do to PLAN in case of war? Kill a couple of fishes in the South China Sea? Our SSBN missiles should be at least 3,500-7,000 Km in range. Sandeep raises valuable points.
Read my posts please. I have been this saying this from the beginning. No use of inducting 700 km K-15.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
any news of success or failure of k-15 test on jan-31?i seriously think that since that the test result is kept under secrecy this could be test of k-4 as suggested by the india today article.

sandeepdg

any news of success or failure of k-15 test on jan-31?i seriously think that since that the test result is kept under secrecy this could be test of k-4 as suggested by the india today article.
I don't think any test took place on Jan'31 at all. There's nothing in the media as yet, so it can't be confirmed. And sorry for the wrong info with regards to the article above, only the K-15 has been tested 8 times till now, and all have been succesful.

anand_win

I don't think any test took place on Jan'31 at all. There's nothing in the media as yet, so it can't be confirmed. And sorry for the wrong info with regards to the article above, only the K-15 has been tested 8 times till now, and all have been succesful.
Dear sandeep.. Are you double sure that all 08 tests were successful.... ????

Country flag
http://www.india-defence.com/reports-3535

Sagarika SLBM Tested In Bay Of Bengal

Television news channel 'Times Now' has reported that India has tested a SLBM (Submarine-launched ballistic missile) which can be capped with a nuclear war-head and which has a range of 1500 km.

India Defence carried an earlier report of the same.

The tests which were conducted jointly by the DRDO & the Navy are said to be a much bigger technological achievement than even the successful test of Agni 3 missiles. The SLBMs are considered the safest missiles, which make them hard to locate & difficult to destroy.

These latest tests, that were conducted in secret, comes on the heels of 3 other tests that India has conducted in the last one year, taking India closer to possessing the nuclear triad - land based missiles, bombers & Submarine-launched ballistic missiles. India doesn't have a nuclear submarine yet, to launch the SLBMs, in fact the DRDO used a pontoon, or a long tube, in the Bay of Bengal to conduct the test. Government officials have said that the tests have met all key parameters.

old article

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
1500 kms in range? WTH? New missile or over enthusiastic journo?

Country flag
1500 kms in range? WTH? New missile or over enthusiastic journo?

Before this article came out earlier reports claimed it was going to be 2500km with Israeli help

Israel to enhance range of Indian SLBM Sagarika to 2500 km

Ran Dagoni, Washington 23 Feb 05 14:21

"Defense News" reports that India has given the go-ahead to its Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to speed up development of a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM). India has asked Israel for "technical assistance" on the development work. Russia also wants to provide "aid".

The missile program is called "Sagarika". Defense News'' quotes top DRDO scientists as saying that they have received permission to extend the missile's range from the originally planned 1,000 kilometers to 2,500 kilometers. The Sagarika currently has a range of only 300 kilometers. A top Indian scientist said extending the Sagarika's range was intended to give it nuclear deterrent capability.

A senior Israel Ministry of Defense official told "Defense News" that Israel was in talks with the DRDO on the latter's critical programs, including missiles.

Under the accelerated Sagarika development program, the DRDO will utilize Israeli and Russian assistance to carry out a test launch within two years. In June, the DRDO hopes to test fire the Sagarika from a land site, using a guidance system upgraded with the help of Russian scientists from NPOM - Russia's state-supported cruise missile and space technology design bureau - based at the DRDO.

A senior NPOM official said although Russian scientist had provided critical hardware for the guidance system, they had any no connection with developing the Sagarika as a nuclear deterrent.

At a press conference on February 11, DRDO scientific adviser M Natarajan denied that the Sagarika program existed. However, two days earlier, India's Minister of Defence Pranab Mukherjee said there were delays in the missile's development.

In separate matter, a senior Indian Ministry of Defence official said two Israeli companies would participate in upgrading 15 Indian Navy Sea Harrier vertical take-off and landing jets, stationed on the INS Viraat aircraft carrier. "Globes" reported on February 8 that Rafael (Israel Armament Development Authority Ltd.) had won a $25 million tender to provide 20 Derby missiles for Indian Navy jets. It has now been learned that IAI-Elta Electronics Industries will provide the upgraded Sea Harriers with radar systems and will upgrade the plane's avionics.

At the Aero India 2005 exhibition earlier this month in Bangalore, Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) displayed its Mosquito micro-unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), which can be launched from inside a room, and its Bird 400 UAV. Defense News'' reports that IAI is the largest vendor of UAV's to the Indian Army.

At the Aero India 2005, IAI also displayed its Delilah missile, which India wants to buy. Rafael displayed its SPYDER Air Defense System, which incorporates the Derby active radar (RF) missile and Python 5 dual waveband Imaging Infra Red (IIR) missile. India wants to buy 75 Spyders.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Israeli and Russian assistance? Whatever happened to MTCR. I think there might not be any truth in it. Why would india want assistance in increasing the range? It would require a new missile and that's exactly what K-4 is.

Country flag
Israeli and Russian assistance? Whatever happened to MTCR. I think there might not be any truth in it. Why would india want assistance in increasing the range? It would require a new missile and that's exactly what K-4 is.
Interesting that these reports/tests came out during Bush nuclear deal negotiations, if true they must have had the blessings of USA.

sandeepdg

Television news channel 'Times Now' has reported that India has tested a SLBM (Submarine-launched ballistic missile) which can be capped with a nuclear war-head and which has a range of 1500 km.

The tests which were conducted jointly by the DRDO & the Navy are said to be a much bigger technological achievement than even the successful test of Agni 3 missiles. The SLBMs are considered the safest missiles, which make them hard to locate & difficult to destroy.

These latest tests, that were conducted in secret, comes on the heels of 3 other tests that India has conducted in the last one year, taking India closer to possessing the nuclear triad - land based missiles, bombers & Submarine-launched ballistic missiles. India doesn't have a nuclear submarine yet, to launch the SLBMs, in fact the DRDO used a pontoon, or a long tube, in the Bay of Bengal to conduct the test. Government officials have said that the tests have met all key parameters.

old article
LF, this is an old article. There's no confirmation of the latest test, whether it has been conducted or not.

sandeepdg

old article
LF, this is an old article. There's no confirmation of the latest test, whether it has been conducted or not.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
To a query on the Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) system, which was scheduled to be launched earlier this year, Saraswat said that the tests were being planned without giving any timeframe.
Source

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles