SLBM K-15 test rescheduled to Jan 31

sandeepdg

The K-15 is a platform for the K-4. If we have a successful induction of the K-15 in our subs, it will boost the morale of the people who are working hard at developing it, just like the LCA and the Arjun. Its not gonna be useful against China, but is more than enough against Pakistan and for meeting eventuality in the Bay of Bengal, Arabian sea or IOR if the need so arises. You guys think the Navy is stupid or what ! The K-4 anyway won't come into picture before 2017, which is the official date of induction considering we have an Arihant capable of carrying such an missile.

http://www.indiatoday.intoday.in/site/article/the-secret-k-missile-family/1/120488.html

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The K-15 is a platform for the K-4. If we have a successful induction of the K-15 in our subs, it will boost the morale of the people who are working hard at developing it, just like the LCA and the Arjun. Its not gonna be useful against China, but is more than enough against Pakistan and for meeting eventuality in the Bay of Bengal, Arabian sea or IOR if the need so arises. You guys think the Navy is stupid or what ! The K-4 anyway won't come into picture before 2017, which is the official date of induction considering we have an Arihant capable of carrying such an missile.

http://www.indiatoday.intoday.in/site/article/the-secret-k-missile-family/1/120488.html
There are plenty of assets in India that can handle Pakistan. A nuclear submarine is a blue water power projection platform. Arihant is the only platform that can reach the Chinese coast undetected.

AmitAgrawal

IMO K-15 is just a test bed for K-4 saya, With only 700 km range we are not going to achieve anything big. So i dont think navy will have K-15 in their subs so they ll wait until K-4 is ready for induction.
I think range of K-15 is 700-1900 depend of payload ?? ????

plugwater

I think range of K-15 is 700-1900 depend of payload ?? ????
Yes it is, I dont know how they are going to change the payload in submarine. They must select different payloads based on requirements before loading the missiles in arihant.

AmitAgrawal

Yes it is, I dont know how they are going to change the payload in submarine. They must select different payloads based on requirements before loading the missiles in arihant.
Well I dnt know much about military equipments

So we cant change payload of missiles after deployment ??? or during operation ????

plugwater

Well I dnt know much about military equipments

So we cant change payload of missiles after deployment ??? or during operation ????
I guess we cannot. I think all the ballistic missiles are loaded from outside through the missile tubes.

sandeepdg

There are plenty of assets in India that can handle Pakistan. A nuclear submarine is a blue water power projection platform. Arihant is the only platform that can reach the Chinese coast undetected.
If the Arihant can reach the Chinese coast undetected, then even a 700-750 km missile can do wonders !

plugwater

If the Arihant can reach the Chinese coast undetected, then even a 700-750 km missile can do wonders !
SSBN are meant for quick retaliation if the home land is attacked. So even the missiles with 3000km range is not enough, we need atleast 5000+ km range missiles in our subs to make the second strike effective and faster. We cannot afford to wait so that arihant can reach china seas undetected.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That is exactly what I am saying. Chinese ASW is not going to find it in time.

sandeepdg

SSBN are meant for quick retaliation if the home land is attacked. So even the missiles with 3000km range is not enough, we need atleast 5000+ km range missiles in our subs to make the second strike effective and faster. We cannot afford to wait so that arihant can reach china seas undetected.
Well, we all know the capabilities of an SSBN here. But wishing something is easy, seeing your wishes turn to reality takes hell lot of time ! Let us be content with what we have currently, and put it to best and effective use, rather than wait for a sophisticated platform to be user ready, and frankly speaking, I don't think we will be able to field the K-4 missiles before 2017-18 at the earliest, induction of a fully loaded sub containing a handful of these missiles may stretch even beyond 2020. So you can forget about 5000 km+ SLBMS for the time being, we don't have a land based missile of the same range as yet. And also, how do think a 3500 km+ range missile is not good enough against China, as a matter of fact if you can build a really good silent nuke sub, then it can cause sufficient havoc by entering enemy waters undetected even with a 700 km range missile. 700 kms is enough distance to strike naval forward infrastructure like coastal bases, radar centers and ships. And as for 3500 km range, its good enough to strike at the heart of China from somewhere in the Bay of Bengal.

Last edited:

plugwater

Well, we all know the capabilities of an SSBN here. But wishing something is easy, seeing your wishes turn to reality takes hell lot of time ! Let us be content with what we have currently, and put it to best and effective use, rather than wait for a sophisticated platform to be user ready, and frankly speaking, I don't think we will be able to field the K-4 missiles before 2017-18 at the earliest, induction of a fully loaded sub containing a handful of these missiles may stretch even beyond 2020. So you can forget about 5000 km+ SLBMS for the time being, we don't have a land based missile of the same range as yet. And also, how do think a 3500 km+ range missile is not good enough against China, as a matter of fact if you can build a really good silent nuke sub, then it can cause sufficient havoc by entering enemy waters undetected even with a 700 km range missile. 700 kms is enough distance to strike naval forward infrastructure like coastal bases, radar centers and ships. And as for 3500 km range, its good enough to strike at the heart of China from somewhere in the Bay of Bengal.
You want to send our only SSBN to Chinese sea to launch our 700 km range missile? Good luck with that. 3500 km missile is enough but it has some limitations you have to launch it from Bay of Bengal. What if it is in Arabian sea or Indian Ocean ? Can we afford to wait till it get within its striking range ? All i am saying is if we have to wait till 2017 or 2020 then so be it.. I'd rather have a very capable missiles in our SSBN than 700 km range missiles.

sandeepdg

You want to send our only SSBN to Chinese sea to launch our 700 km range missile? Good luck with that. 3500 km missile is enough but it has some limitations you have to launch it from Bay of Bengal. What if it is in Arabian sea or Indian Ocean ? Can we afford to wait till it get within its striking range ? All i am saying is if we have to wait till 2017 or 2020 then so be it.. I'd rather have a very capable missiles in our SSBN than 700 km range missiles.
Come on man, grow up ! I don't command the Indian Navy as you would know, and the Navy has a purpose for inducting these missiles, the IN is much smarter than you and me, and they very well know the limitations of the K-15. All, I am saying is that a smart and capable force can work around their shortcomings and doesn't wait for the circumstances to change in their favor, and use the assets at their disposal in the most effective manner. You heard what Armand said, that Chinese ASW is poor. Hence technically speaking and not practically speaking, if the Arihant comes up to be good nuke sub, it has the capability to fool Chinese defenses and attack Chinese coastal assets. Obviously, if we have only one sub at our disposal, we won't resort to such adventure. I am just talking about a hypothetical situation here. And for your information, about the 3500 km range issue, you said that "what if the sub's not in Bay of Bengal", then I would say yeah, the range will increase if its in the Arabian sea or Indian ocean, then you need to understand we won't be going to war with just one SLBM sub, the Navy will be acquiring at least 3-5 SLBM subs. In that scenario, there will a sub placed at each of the Eastern naval command, Western naval command and Tri-services command at Andaman. So obviously the ones based on the East coast and Andaman are capable of targeting China.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
what happened to the test? No news yet on it??

plugwater

Come on man, grow up ! I don't command the Indian Navy as you would know, and the Navy has a purpose for inducting these missiles, the IN is much smarter than you and me, and they very well know the limitations of the K-15. All, I am saying is that a smart and capable force can work around their shortcomings and doesn't wait for the circumstances to change in their favor, and use the assets at their disposal in the most effective manner. You heard what Armand said, that Chinese ASW is poor. Hence technically speaking and not practically speaking, if the Arihant comes up to be good nuke sub, it has the capability to fool Chinese defenses and attack Chinese coastal assets. Obviously, if we have only one sub at our disposal, we won't resort to such adventure. I am just talking about a hypothetical situation here. And for your information, about the 3500 km range issue, you said that "what if the sub's not in Bay of Bengal", then I would say yeah, the range will increase if its in the Arabian sea or Indian ocean, then you need to understand we won't be going to war with just one SLBM sub, the Navy will be acquiring at least 3-5 SLBM subs. In that scenario, there will a sub placed at each of the Eastern naval command, Western naval command and Tri-services command at Andaman. So obviously the ones based on the East coast and Andaman are capable of targeting China.
Chinese ASW capabilities maybe shitty as armand said but that doesn't mean they have zero ASW capabilities, Once the tension arises between us and china they will be looking for our only SSBN with all the resources they have got so we can get past their defenses only if their generals are fools and ours are geniuses, i doubt that is the case. So i am still convinced that sending our only SSBN to their coast is a suicide.

Talking about 3-5 SSBNs, when do you think we will have 3 operational SSBNs in our navy? I guess only by 2017, so by that time we ll have good SLBMs. But before that we can only call ourselves that we have achieved nuclear triad but only by 2017 we ll have true capability to launch nuclear missile anywhere from our seas.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Nothing in the newspaper today. What happened to the test?

sandeepdg

Talking about 3-5 SSBNs, when do you think we will have 3 operational SSBNs in our navy? I guess only by 2017, so by that time we ll have good SLBMs. But before that we can only call ourselves that we have achieved nuclear triad but only by 2017 we ll have true capability to launch nuclear missile anywhere from our seas.
I doubt that we will get a single SLBM inducted on a nuke sub even by 2017-18, though I would love to be proven wrong.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles