Six Rajasthan hill forts on Unesco heritage list

Simple_Guy

Six Rajasthan hill forts on Unesco heritage list

Six of Rajasthan's hill forts have made it to Unesco's World Heritage List: Chittorgarh Fort, Kumbhalgarh Fort (Rajsamand), Ranthambore Fort (Sawai Madhopur), Jaisalmer Fort, Amber Fort (Jaipur) and Gagron Fort (Jhalawar).

"The selection of these forts is a reflection of our past work," said tourism, art and culture minister Bina Kak. The listing of the forts was approved at the 37th meeting of the World Heritage Committee in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on Friday.

All the forts represent Rajput military architecture. The structural remains or ruins range from the eighth to the 19th Century and comprise multi-gated approaches through massive and high fortification walls, palaces, temples, memorials and water reservoirs.

pmaitra

I have been to Amber Fort. Magnificent! I need to visit the others as well. Jaisalmer Fort is the one I want to see very badly.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
All these forts are really magnificent and lights and sound programs in some of these like Chittor is very impressive

TrueSpirit

Surprising to see, that these choices reflect greater focus on aesthetics, visual splendor, glamour & the locale.

Among the above mentioned forts (no doubt, all great architecture), the name of Mehrangarh fort should also have been there for its magnificent imposing build, intricate craftsmanship, historical relevance, & one of the best museums in Rajasthan.

TrueSpirit

I have been to Amber Fort. Magnificent! I need to visit the others as well. Jaisalmer Fort is the one I want to see very badly.
Do visit that. You won't be disappointed, if you do not come with lot of expectations. Apart from historical significance, this seemingly golden fort is a very unusual fort in the sense that it hosts a living township; some say, in existence, since more than a millenia. And, the market inside it, caters more to foreigners/NRI's than's Indians. Anyway, I found it lot more impressive from outside than inside.

If only I could upload pics/vids on DFI...

I would say, if you are making a short trip in Rajasthan, do not miss the Udaipur-Kumbhalgarh-Chiitorgarh-Ranakpur belt & Jodhpur. These are lot less touristy (somewhat off-beat) but much more exotic with real history & architectural splendor, especially if you are an art connoisseur.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Surprising to see, that these choices reflect greater focus on aesthetics, visual splendor, glamour & the locale.

Among the above mentioned forts (no doubt, all great architecture), the name of Mehrangarh fort should also have been there for its magnificent imposing build, intricate craftsmanship, historical relevance, & one of the best museums in Rajasthan.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Do visit that. You won't be disappointed, if you do not come with lot of expectations. Apart from historical significance, this seemingly golden fort is a very unusual fort in the sense that it hosts a living township; some say, in existence, since more than a millenia. And, the market inside it, caters more to foreigners/NRI's than's Indians. Anyway, I found it lot more impressive from outside than inside.

If only I could upload pics/vids on DFI...

I would say, if you are making a short trip in Rajasthan, do not miss the Udaipur-Kumbhalgarh-Chiitorgarh-Ranakpur belt & Jodhpur. These are lot less touristy (somewhat off-beat) but much more exotic with real history & architectural splendor, especially if you are an art connoisseur.

Simple_Guy

More on Gagron Fort from Imperial Gazetteer of India

The territory is situated in the Deccan trap area and is much cut up by small hills, but the soil in the valleys is very fertile and bears excellent crops of all the ordinary grains, and of poppy. The Parbati river, which flows along the western border, gives a perennial supply of water. The flora and fauna are the same as elsewhere in Malwa. The climate is temperate, and the annual rainfall averages about 30 inches.

Though this State is now a small one, considerable interest attaches to its chief as the recognized head of the KhichI Chauhans, once a powerful branch of the great clan to which the famous Prithwi Raj, the last Hindu ruler of Delhi, belonged. The branch is represented in Central India by the chiefs of Raghugarh, Dharnaoda, Maksudan- GARH, Khilchipur, and Garha. The Khlchi section of the clan is descended from Aje Rao, second son of Manik Rai of Sambhar. The Khichis appear to have settled first in the Sind-Sagar dodl? in the Punjab, migrating south after the defeat of Prithwi Raj by Muizz-ud- dln in 1192. They then settled at Gagraun, now in the Jhalawar State.

In 1203 Deo Singh of Gagraun received a grant of land from the Delhi emperor, which was extended by further grants to his successors, so that by the seventeenth century the Khichi domains comprised most of the country between Guna, Sarangpur, Shujalpur, and Bhilsa, the tract receiving the name of KhichJwara or 'the land
of the Khichis.' In 1697 Gagraun was taken from them by Bhim Singh of Kotah, and Bajranggarh became their stronghold, the palace and fort of Raghugarh being built seven years later.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles