Sikorsky, Boeing Team Introduces the SB>1 Defiant

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Defense-Update
October 22, 2013

Sikorsky and Boeing have officially named their future rotorcraft partnership 'Team Defiant'. The team has based their design on the Sikorsky's X2 technology and Boeing's coaxial rotor concepts? The design is one of four selected by the US Army for its JMR technology demonstration program. "The cooperation is aimed on 50-60 year program, forming the backbone of the US Army aviation" Sikorsky Sam Mehta, President of Sikorsky Military Systems, said during the announcement at the AUSA exhibition today. He said a team of engineers from Sikorsky and Boeing are exploring rapid prototyping techniques that have the potential to introduce new technologies and business advantages.

Sikorsky, Boeing Team Introduces the SB>1 Defiant - Defense Update - Military Technology & Defense News

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
To me this design has one particular downside that is a real drag: it has no rear ramp.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I guess coaxial main rotors eliminate the need for a tail rotor like a standard helicopter has.

The thing is hideous. Has it flown?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I guess coaxial main rotors eliminate the need for a tail rotor like a standard helicopter has.

[video=youtube_share;vfggwmhcvC0]http://youtu.be/vfggwmhcvC0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;H6wqIfJ7Mvg]http://youtu.be/H6wqIfJ7Mvg[/video]

ramakrishna

lol ... its look like a EMBRAER Phenom 100 without wings + rotors at the top

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The Competition:

Bell Helicopter

Karem Aircraft

Karem Unveils Variable-Speed Tiltrotor For JMR

AVX Aircraft Company

Their conversion proposal for the Kiowa:

Personally I like this proposal than the above competitions. It has a rear ramp and its rear propellers are ducted providing added safety feature to both the aircraft and personnel on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

If you really want to see hideous, look at Eurocopter X3.

lookieloo

Then it may be too big for its proposed role as armed scout like OH-58.

https://www.peoavn.army.mil/SitePages/ASH.aspx

(You can ignore any warning you might get from the link in my post.)
The JMR competition is for possible replacement of UH-60 sized platforms.

Sikorsky is already after the scout role with the much smaller S-97 Raider (self-funded prototype scheduled to fly next year).

Last edited:

lookieloo

To me this design has one particular downside that is a real drag: it has no rear ramp.
I wouldn't get stuck on ramps (UH-60 does just fine without). All the contenders have advantages and disadvantages in their designs, which take very different approaches. This is the most interesting competition I've seen in a long time.
Sikorsky-Boeing confident SB-1 Defiant won't be the next Comanche
http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_10_23_2013_p01-01-629338.xml
Karem Tiltrotor A Contender For Army Utility Role

Last edited:

pmaitra

Yes, and Sikorsky has a history with that (ref: Black Hawk Down).

It is about the rotating moment. When the blades turn, the body of the helicopter turns in the other direction to balance out the turning moment. So, a tail rotor is required to stop it from doing that. Kamov (Sikorsky's old buddy) went the co-axial way, and Mil and Sikorsky favoured the single rotor way. Sikorsky emigrated to the US and Mil (along with Kamov) stayed in the USSR. All three went on to make world famous helicopters.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
First indigenous S-92 helicopter cabin by TATA Sikorsky JV
Manju V, TNN | Oct 24, 2013, 05.40PM IST
MUMBAI: The India joint venture established between Tata Advanced Systems and Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation on Thursday announced that its S-92 helicopter cabin production in India has become 100 percent indigenous.

"The India operation is not only assembling cabins but also producing all parts needed for the assembly, before shipping the cabins to the U.S. for aircraft completion and customer delivery," said a press statement issued by the company. The S-92 helicopter cabin and more than 5,000 associated precision components are made at Hyderabad through a strategic collaboration between Sikorsky and Tata Advanced Systems Ltd (TASL). Sikorsky is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp.

The Tata-Sikorsky India JV also announced the Hyderabad facility of TASL completed another significant milestone in October by producing its 50thS-92 helicopter cabin. The TASL facility now has the capacity to produce up to four cabins a month and is responsible for future design modifications, the release said.

In June 2009, Sikorsky and TASL entered into an agreement for production of S-92 helicopter cabins in India, and in November 2009, Sikorsky and TASL entered into a joint-venture for production of more than 5,000 detailed aerospace components in India, thereby establishing two manufacturing facilities in Hyderabad. Both facilities commenced production within two years of signing the agreements and today constitute an important part of Sikorsky's global supply chain. The S-92 helicopter cabins from India are shipped to the US for final assembly, and the completed helicopters are delivered to customers globally.

First indigenous S-92 helicopter cabin by TATA Sikorsky JV - The Times of India

Global Defence

New threads

Articles