Sikh and Hindu groups slam English Defence League

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
OK chaps.

We are running short of good snipers in the Indian Army.

You seem to be highly qualified! :)

Please apply there and let peace prevail here!

sandeepdg

And how would you classify the ideology followed by Saudi Arabia and religious restrictions in the Middle Eastern countries?
I have to differ with you sir, on this issue. Saudi Arabia and most of Middle-East for that matter openly state they are a one religion state, England on the other hand is a democracy. So, if the Saudis are other middle-east nations are putting religious restrictions on religions other than Islam, they are legitimate to do so and you cannot protest against that. You very well know, that your religion is not recognized there. England, on other hand, preaches secularism as part of its constitution. So, if such violence is seen there, then its truly a worrying issue for non-whites.

pmaitra

I have to differ with you sir, on this issue. Saudi Arabia and most of Middle-East for that matter openly state they are a one religion state, England on the other hand is a democracy. So, if the Saudis are other middle-east nations are putting religious restrictions on religions other than Islam, they are legitimate to do so and you cannot protest against that. You very well know, that your religion is not recognized there. England, on other hand, preaches secularism as part of its constitution. So, if such violence is seen there, then its truly a worrying issue for non-whites.
Sandeep, although you are correct in your evaluation of the current England (or did you mean UK?), England has historically been a Christian State with a Christian Flag. Note the insignia of St. George's Cross which is the English Flag below:

Also, King Richard the Lionheart was a Crusader and is much revered in certain quarters.

Yes, England has become more liberal and has moved on to secular laws, but the point some of us are trying to highlight here is that while England and for that matter many European countries value their secular credentials and afford protection against religious (and racial) discrimination by law, one should not abuse these laws to demand things, such as, but not limited to, imposition of Sharia Law in Europe. While people can get away with protests and agitations in most of Europe and at the most are detained, such activities will, without any doubt, invite much harsher punishment in most Middle Eastern countries.

The fact that certain middle Eastern countries continue to uphold a theocratic state while many Europeans and many Indians too would vehemently defend their secularity (i.e. separation of the Church and the State), itself speaks volumes and following from that, if we compare England with, say, Saudi Arabia, we are not comparing apples with apples.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Queen is the Defender of the Faith (Christian Faith)!

JayATL

In effect a - all your base are belong to us ! :shoot:

sandeepdg

Sandeep, although you are correct in your evaluation of the current England (or did you mean UK?), England has historically been a Christian State with a Christian Flag. Note the insignia of St. George's Cross which is the English Flag below:

Also, King Richard the Lionheart was a Crusader and is much revered in certain quarters.

Yes, England has become more liberal and has moved on to secular laws, but the point some of us are trying to highlight here is that while England and for that matter many European countries value their secular credentials and afford protection against religious (and racial) discrimination by law, one should not abuse these laws to demand things, such as, but not limited to, imposition of Sharia Law in Europe. While people can get away with protests and agitations in most of Europe and at the most are detained, such activities will, without any doubt, invite much harsher punishment in most Middle Eastern countries.

The fact that certain middle Eastern countries continue to uphold a theocratic state while many Europeans and many Indians too would vehemently defend their secularity (i.e. separation of the Church and the State), itself speaks volumes and following from that, if we compare England with, say, Saudi Arabia, we are not comparing apples with apples.
Well, I meant UK in the larger sense. I am not saying that just because you are being offered religious freedom, you should take it for granted and create a mess in your adopted country. That is by no doubt, wrong and nobody would appreciate such a behavior from an immigrant. What I meant to convey was that though such fundamentalist incidents have been occurring for quite sometime now due to preaching of radical Islam in Britain, and hence the English folk are disturbed and agitated, its not that the Hindus and Sikhs are spared either. I have heard it from people who have half their lives in UK saying though by large, the situation is peaceful, Hindus and Sikhs are targeted not merely because of their religious affinities, but because of the color of their skin, which has been a hangover for the British people since the colonial times and will continue to stay so.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles