Shut shop in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, India tells China

Kshatriya87

Country flag
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-shut-shop-in-pok-india-tells-china-2207473

India has formally asked China to stop the construction activities on the other side of Line of Control (LoC) in the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).

This follows reports of China being involved in construction and upgradation of numerous roads, bridges and hydro power projects in PoK. The Chinese links with Pakistan through PoK have lent credence to the Sino-Islamabad nexus, sparking security concerns for India.

"The government has conveyed its concerns to China...and asked them to cease such activities," said Colonel SD Goswami, defence spokesman at Udhampur-headquartered Northern Command.

China's Gezhouba Group Company Ltd has been building a Jhelum-Neelum 970MW hydel power project in PoK since 2007. The project is likely to be complete this year.

China is also constructing an all-weather road, connecting Karakoram Highway with Gilgit-Baltistan, and is also involved in a 46-billion dollar China-Pakistan economic corridor (CPEC), that will also pass through Karakoram Highway.

In 2012, Indian Army spotted Chinese engineers, technical staff and other people in civvies on the other side of LoC in PoK amid reports that Pakistan was allowing China to use some of its occupied areas for military purposes.

The issue had then rocked the Parliament after reports suggested that Pakistan had "leased out" the land to China for military purposes, besides allowing them to keep a watch on India.

Early this year, People's Liberation Army (PLA) troops were spotted at the forward posts on the other side of the LoC in PoK. Indian army spokesman, however, was quick to deny such reports then.

This was not the first time that Chinese troops or engineers have been spotted in PoK. In 2011, Pakistan stationed Chinese troops on the LoC in PoK, sending alarm bells ringing among the Indian army, guarding the porous border line, which is often used by Pakistani army to send in militants into Kashmir. The PLA troops were also spotted in 2015, opposite Tangdhar sector of Kupwara district.

Colonel Goswami also denied any incursions by the Chinese troops into Indian territory along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the cold desert of Ladakh.

"There is no commonly delineated LAC between India and China. There are areas along the border including areas in Ladakh where India and China have differing perception of LAC. Due to both sides undertaking patrolling upto their perception of the LAC, transgressions do occur," he said.

The defence spokesman noted that the government regularly takes up any transgression along LAC with the Chinese side through established mechanisms including flag meetings, border personnel meetings, bilateral working mechanism for consultation and coordination on the India-China border affairs and diplomatic channels.

In September 2015, the two armies were engaged in a bitter standoff after Indian troops dismantled a watch tower constructed by the PLA at Burste in Depsang Plains on the LAC.

In April, 2013, Indian Army and PLA were again engaged in a major face-off after the Chinese troops crossed 19 kilometres deep into Indian territory at Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) sector on LAC and set up posts. The standoff lasted for 20 days, and ended on May 5, 2013, when troops from both sides withdrew to the pre-incursion positions.

India shares a 3,488-km border with China while J&K shares 646 km of LAC with China. J&K is the only state in the country which shares its borders with both Pakistan and China.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Very wise decision. We need a middle east connectivity and so we need to make POK a part of india. More over it will resolve the kashmir issue for ever. We need to keep this region disputed and hence we need to issue statements saying this part as disputed.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
@HariPrasad-1 True that we should keep making this an issue, but I think this statement came way too late. Where was this protest when the porkis leased huge swathes of disputed land to China? Where was this protest when the idea for CPEC came into picture and planning for it began? They are already well ahead into the execution part of these various projects.

Tell me, would it be easy for you to stop when you are walking or when you are in a full sprint?

China might just have given it a thought if India would have protested a few years back. Now that the whole construction spread is mobilised, China will just shove this protest off.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
@HariPrasad-1 True that we should keep making this an issue, but I think this statement came way too late. Where was this protest when the porkis leased huge swathes of disputed land to China? Where was this protest when the idea for CPEC came into picture and planning for it began? They are already well ahead into the execution part of these various projects.

Tell me, would it be easy for you to stop when you are walking or when you are in a full sprint?

China might just have given it a thought if India would have protested a few years back. Now that the whole construction spread is mobilised, China will just shove this protest off.
That is debatable but the move of conveying our concern to china is appreciable. I like it.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
That is debatable but the move of conveying our concern to china is appreciable. I like it.
If only "conveying" the message worked. We also conveyed our disappointment about masood azhar issue. What happened? They denied our request outright.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Look at my Avatar...I am Karakoram highway in Aksai Chin. Can you shut me up?

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
BC - who is stopping you to invite Japanese firm or investment in North East or conduct a military exercise in with US in Tawang.

This "asking" habit of successive govt has not give us any results but only humiliation.

no smoking

Country flag
Beggar can't be choosers :shoot:

Construct some Naval bases/Army training&Arm supply to Japan/Taiwan/Mongolia/Vietnam/Philip etc then Chinikis come to DISCUSSION TABLE.
These "chinikis" will laugh their ass off:

Japan/Taiwan always look down on whatever India has except culture;
Mongolia? Today, you make a deal with them, tomorrow Mongolian will tell Chinese every detail;
Vietnam/Philip? They won't accept anything from you unless it is free.

sukhish

china got scared because of this. In fact it is shivring

adrenalin

Tihar Jail
Banned
just saying shut shop to chinise and chinise will shut shop? chinise are pakis masters. what india need do is to invest in uighur and tibet through indirect FDI to freedom fighters there. use them to attack chinise military base, nuclear plants. chinise wont understand until peking duck is made of them.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Let Chinese develop it because India will use it later on LOL and it will Pakistan who will pay back to China

no smoking

Country flag
Though, it's very difficult for us to see small and weak countries like Taiwan and Japan on the map. :biggrin2: I'm scared.
No, you are not scared. You are upset that some of your "friends supposed to be" are looking down on you.
Take it easy.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
No, you are not scared. You are upset that some of your "friends supposed to be" are looking down on you.
Take it easy.
Supposed by you, not anyone else. :p
I visit a number of forums.
If they are looking down at us, in that case, Russia will be looking down at you.
OT: Where do Japanese and Taiwanese Militaries (specially Taiwanese) come against Indian Counterpart?
I can't understand wtf you are whining. :lol:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
What is amusing is that even Pakis aren't allowed in areas occupied by the 11,000 Chinese PLA as well as the Chinese civilian work force who have built permanent settlements in Gilgit / Baltistan for the ostensible reason of developing the CPEC! The Pakis need special permits from the Chinese!!

In other words, GB is soon turning into another autonomous region of China just like TAR (Tibetan Autonomous Region). And Gwadar Port has already been handed over to the Chinese on an extendible 40 year lease!! Pakis need permits from the Chinese here too!

Jeeez! Pakistan is slowly but surely being absorbed and assimilated into China. Everything is now Chinese out there. What a shame! Here's a country which has never attempted to stand on its own feet. First they milked the US since the 50s and now have sold their soul to China!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles