Should we ban liquor and prostitution????

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sabir, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

"The husband comes back every night drunk and beat his wife and kids" it is not very uncommon to stumble over this type of news very often which often lead to more violent offence. I have read about drunk father who mollested his own daughter; or killed his wife or got killed while attempting such thing. Our maid says her husband do not work and beat her if she does not give him money to purchase liquor. If you think this incidents are restricted in the lower strata of the society you are wrong. Spoilt kids of rich fathers have ashamed the society on several occassions( sometimes the nation by mollesting foreigners), drunk filmstar ran over his car over the people sleeping on the pavement. I have not yet mentioned the indirect crimes which are linked to liquor like petty crimes to arrange money for liquor. In Bengal, youths (who is no job or study) are enthusiastic about arranging Kali Puja (though I dont want to generalise) because it supply funds for the special purpose as if Kali puja means free permit to get drunk. Harrasement for contributions is very common in this case. I wonder how our policy makers remains silent for years in this curse which is ruining our society. There are states where liquor is a banned item. Coincidentally one such state is the most prosperous in the country. I dont know whether there is any link between banning of liquor and prosperity in state level. I am no expert in it. But, I am aware how it is ruining many poor families. It is impossible to get rid of it completely. People will manufacture iquor illegally if it is banned. But it least the number of crimes associated with liquor will drop if people are afraid of getting drunk fearing law enforcing bodies.

Prostitution is another thing which is directly linked with human traficcing in which India has the glorioius first position. Some want it to get legalised as a trade. I wonder how many of them want member of their family to join in this trade.

It is time our policy makers should give it a serious thinking.

Please dont add a pole in this thread.. Members should give their opinion; defend their point of view; not just a vote in favour or against it.

A.V. and S.A.T.A like this.
  3. Sabir

I forget to mention ...a person who was in police once told me crime rate will drop by 30% (registered and non-registered) if we put ban on liquor. Give your opinion in it.

4. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

Ban liquor, are you drunk ?

Nagraj and Phenom like this.
  5. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

in many countries alcohol is banned but people obtain it illegally....
    it is true that many crimes are related to alcohol...but you can take alcohol away from people and they will find something else....

6. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

I say legalise prostitution thats the way only we can control STD's.Give them some basic rights which help them prevent unsafe sex and even for their kids thats the only way one can break the cycle of prostitution as no indivduals voluntary enters the profession.Legalize them and give them legitimate rights

Param, KS, LurkerBaba and 1 other person like this.
  7. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

India is democratic and secular country and not Islamic Terrorist country like Pakistan or Extremist Wahhabi KSA. :nono:

8. Sabir

It is not that Ihave never been drunk. But here we are discussing how it is affecting our society. In my opinion we can do well without it.

9. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

Both are things that are impossible to enforce. In the few 'dry' states already in India. And I have heard ridiculous stories of their attempts to circumvent such laws!

Ultimately, if alcohol is banned; alternatives will be used. Marijuana is still easily available in rural areas, and were such a law to take place, it will require crackdown in such areas as well.

I too have seen first hand some of the devastation alcohol has caused in our rural village and can't help but think such people will be better off without it... however, there needs to be very effective administration of such laws and strict enforcement - something I can't see our police + judicial system enforcing.

edit. perhaps implementing a very high taxation rate for alcohol will force vendors to raise prices and hence reduce demand. A thought!

Prostitution is another thing... whilst I personally (morally!) would like to see it eliminated, unfortunately due to poverty and population it will never happen. Perhaps if it is legalised it will not be so hush-hush and can be properly controlled in the open light. I largely support such a process - e.g. enforcing proper registration etc by preventing the terrible stories of younger girls forced into such trades.

10. Sabir

What about Gujrat.

If you cant put forward your view to the context abstain from it.

ejazr likes this.
  11. SPIEZ

Without alcohol no relationship will last PERIOD.

12. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Prostitution is already banned in India.

SPIEZ likes this.
  13. Galaxy

On PAPER. :rofl:

14. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

must be out of his mind! pakistan is a perfect case as a reference, tell that cop to visit pakistan.

anyways, when did prostitution become legal in india?

15. Iamanidiot

Gujarats case of prohibition is due to Gandhi's legacy which hangs like a dead albatross across its neck.Gujju cannot hold their liquor and so lets keep booze away from them

LurkerBaba likes this.
  16. sky

sky Regular Member

Germany have legalised brothels ,where the women must have medical check for aids as well as other std's regularly .This way they don't get abused by gang's,they also pay taxes.

Many years ago a survey was done in britain where people were asked should prostitution be legalised and most men said no,however when women were asked the same question as men but where told that where prostitution is legalised sexual attacks on women have decreased.most women voted in favour of legalising prostitution .

I have a wife and daughter ,if legalised prostitution were introduced i believe it would reduce sex attacks so i would be in favour of it.

17. Sabir

'It can not be eliminated, some substitution will be arrived' are the lame excuses to cover our inefficiency. We can not stop female infanticide even after so many effrorts, should we legalise it then? We can never eradicate corruption completely.Then why run behind corrupt netas? Free Kalmadi, Raja....

18. Galaxy

Majority of Gujarati don't drink liquor if you are aware. That's why state government banned few years back as it was nothing negative. State like Mahrashtra, Delhi or most of the states have high % of people who consume liquor. So, it's difficult to ban. Also, it gives lots of revenue too.

As per me, it should not be banned. It's individual choice.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  19. Sabir

He has mentioned about the crimes they have to deal with. What happens in Pakistan is irrelevent here. If we are better than Pakistan , without that 30% we will be much better than them.

'Banning' term I used to make it in practical sense. It is hard to believe prostitution is banned in our country.

20. SPIEZ

I m gonna try visiting German. Oh! in most European countries it's legalized I hear.

21. Iamanidiot

This is the most pragmatic approach GOI must take and that is the only way one can tackle STD's or protect their rights