Should the Divorce Bill be gender neutral ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Jun 17, 2013.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=U60BBYYXVYk[/video]

Full video -> The Big Fight: Should the Divorce Bill be gender neutral? Video: NDTV.com

Skip to 13:30 for interesting part if in hurry!

Now on divorce not only will wife take away half of husband's wealth but also that of husband's family.

In the veil of "equal rights" males will face the wrath of "positive discrimination" just like reservations :toilet:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Men should simply safeguard themselves and go for pre-nuptial agreements.

Dowry deaths and desertions are a reality, but I do believe they happen in a minority of cases; but laws have to be equitable or all, and as much as it is discriminatory, it cannot be done away with.

Double edged sword.

4. The Messiah

Have you watched the full video ?

5. pmaitra

Rest of the debate?

No, only what you have posted.

6. pmaitra

@The Messiah, please ignore my previous comment. I overlooked the link to the full video. I will watch it in full.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  7. The Messiah

8. pmaitra

I like what Judy Balan says, but what percentage of Indian women are like her?

9. The Messiah

There are more like the old hag besides her

10. pmaitra

Mr. Sarkar, :lol:, is really excited.

He did get plenty of claps though.

Ms. Agnihotri is on Agni, I mean on fire. :D

I agree.

The Messiah likes this.
  11. The Messiah

I liked mr. sarkar swaroop and judy

12. pmaitra

Me too, I liked them both, but I think Mr. Sarkar should have remained a bit calm, and Ms. Agnihotri was the most annoying.

13. pmaitra

I close relative of mine was a victim of dowry death. It all started with her threatening a divorce, and starting consultations with a lawyer to get all her jewelry and dowry money back.

There are vicious women and men all over India.

I completely disagree with Suchitra Krishnamurthy, that Indians are not very practical. Indians are very practical in majority of the cases, and women and their parents consider marriage not because of love but because of the prospective grooms wallet, property, bank balance, income, etc.. Our marriages are better termed alliances. It is all about money. When such marriages break down, we have two guilty and dishonest parties crying foul.

14. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Alyque Padmasee seems to have copied my idea about the marriage license. :shocked:

In western countries, the divorce laws have been purposely drafted in such a way as to minimize the impact of providing welfare/social security benefits to divorced women, since they happen to be the ones who usually come out poorer than their ex-husbands. The cause of the financial imbalance is due to wide variety of different reasons, and not merely the fact that *some* women sacrifice their careers for a few years to raise children. The reasons include the education and career choices women make, their spending habits, and their general financial illiteracy compared to men. Very few women enroll in STEM, medicine or other high paying careers, instead they choose to go into Arts, Music and other such useless streams. After graduating, they are content with working secretarial or other low paying jobs while dreaming about marrying a wealthy millionaire so they can spend big like they always wanted.

In short, the fact that women are poorer than men on average is due to their differing psychological, social and career attitudes. Western governments have taken the easiest way out by making men the scapegoats and imposing financial servitude on them to shirk the state's responsibility of social security.

pmaitra and Dovah like this.
  15. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

Bloody coolies aping 'western' nonsense and pretending to be 'progressive'.

16. pmaitra

"Till death do us part," is a common refrain in traditional western marriages. Quite often though, that is reduced to a ceremonial lip-service.

17. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Didn't watch the video but commenting on the quote.

There are both type of cases, one in which male is doing wrong and in other female is doing wrong, both the parties are to be blamed. Though women are in a poorer condition yet alimony or husband's property is not the solution, the real asset of a woman is her education, her training as a competent human being able to survive in the society on her own.The way parents train their male kids is really different than they do with their female kids, which is wrong. OTOH there is not a single moral lesson in our school+college syllabus which can teach men about respecting women or performing family duties, all we do read are empty hollow statements to get you a degree.

Divorce cases only emphasize the need of education for women and their training, so that they can not only survive but lead their family alone, and to teach men to respect women and to maintain their families fulfilling their duties. These provisions of alimony and property are like a crutch which can help for a short period but can not repair the broken leg.

pmaitra likes this.
  18. The Messiah

In the case of arranged marriages, although there are sham love marriages also to get a rich spouse.

Marriage is essentially between a girl and a boy but there considerations come last in arranged marriages, first things that are seen are religion, caste, region, family background, financial situation, any influential connections, education, house/car etc once all of these or most of these requirements are fulfilled both boy and girl are coerced by there families to marry.

19. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

Why you should never marry anymore in india!

The government has found a new way to women empowerment ie by punishing all of men using biased anti men marriage and divorce laws.
    Now the Union government has passed a legislation whereby a women would be entitled to a share in husbands "inherited property" and not vice versa which means a woman worth 100 crores divorces husband who has a property of 10 lakhs,the husband would have to pay 5 lakhs and not the opposite.
    This is in line with adultery laws where woman's lover is punished where as the woman is allowed to walk free even if it was a consensual relationship.

20. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Re: Why you should never marry anymore in india!

I think this is a part of a bigger scheme(conspiracy) to control population, since couples engaging in sex outside marriage are also to be considered as married couple now. :spy:

21. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Re: Why you should never marry anymore in india!

Beware of strange girls now. Indian laws are always favor women. And actually right thing because of nature of society.