Should India try to join NATO?

Should India try to join NATO?

• Total voters

sanjay

NATO is an organization of North Atlantic countries, and is built around their interests. India in such a group would be out-numbered by those countries and their interests, and would hardly get a fair hearing from them.

The problem is that the US is in a European orbit, and needs to awaken from its stupor to realize that it has 360-degrees of interests, and not just interests with the North Atlantic countries. It is this blinkered approach to foreign policy that has seen the US blinded to the rise of China and trans-nationalist Islamist terrorism. The only enemies the US has been able to focus upon in the past have been Berlin and then Moscow.

The American tendency to gravitate towards its European cousins has to do primarily with the fact that "blood is thicker than water" - ie. most Americans are of European ancestry, and so they naturally tend to look towards Europe for foreign alliances. The other very important fact is that European extra-territorialists within the US foreign policy establishment are legion.

The US needs to break free of its current blinkered views on foreign policy, otherwise it will continue to be caught behind.

sanjay

Australia will have to join eventually, as nobody can just be a free rider.

Australia is particularly vulnerable with its small population. They were even afraid of being invaded by Japan during the 2nd World War.

India should only join if the US is seriously committed to an alliance. That means Chinese stooge Pak has to be dropped like a hot potato. The US can't have its cake and eat it too - it can't have a serious alliance while also stringing along liabilities like Pak - it's just not credible.

When the US stops keeping itself confined with the European orbit, and starts showing more commitment to Asian partners, then there'll be movement, but not otherwise.

sandeepdg

I completely agree with you Sanjay. Other than that, what has come to the fore also is that almost all SE Asian nations have disputes with the Chinese regarding their territorial waters and the resources that exists all over the South China sea which includes Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia. I think it will be very crucial if all these nations form a alliance among themselves and resolves their own disputes to collective resist Chinese hegemony. Eventually, India, Japan and South Korea and US can also extend moral support to this grouping. I don't the Australians would stay out and be alone and would want to join the alliance too in such a situation. That will truly be a very formidable grouping with the US at its side, and will certainly make the Chinese introspect their hostile nature towards its Asian neighbors. Its just my thought, that kind of a thing may never happen actually though.

Crusader53

There's nothing flattering about it, mate ! It just plain fact, even a militarized Japan would be hardly a match for what Indian defense capabilities will be in the next two decades. Even the Japs know that, hence the reason why there was increased talk sometime back of an India-Japan-US association to counter balance the Chinese, and keep stability in Asia.

Clearly, you vastly underestimate the JSDF. I doubt China would take them that lightly....

Crusader53

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
If china sorts itself out rather than acting like a bully then the east could also have its own version of nato.

sanjay

Crusader53

Regarding Japan - they may potentially bend towards China in the coming years:

More on the Future Japan-China (and Japan–U.S. ) Relationship - Stephen Harner - Whither Japan - Forbes

This will ultimately bear them little fruit, just as Manmohan's bending over toward Islamabad won't. But it's increasingly possible that Japan will see acquiescence to China as in their best interest, especially given their market imperatives.

Just shows you can't believe everything you read.....

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
If china sorts itself out rather than acting like a bully then the east could also have its own version of nato.
An alliance with China - you gotta be kidding. You simply have no idea how ruthless the Chinese mindset is !!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
An alliance with China - you gotta be kidding. You simply have no idea how ruthless the Chinese mindset is !!
The govt yes are insane.

But common chinese people are decent people.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
LOL, I think all seven people who voted 'yes' are foreigners.

JayATL

well, I have not gone through all 7 pages of conversation on this topic. as a pro US poster I have to say I'm not sure ( that's not a yes or no).. I have some questions I need to resolve first.

These are the PROS that will hasten the growth of India and it is undeniable.

1. What are economic benefits of joining NATO? I see it as being tremendous- being a part of the member nations have unequaled access in terms of trade , FTA deals etc etc.

2. In terms of military - here you can be under the umbrella of the defense missile shields embarked by the US. You have slightly fewer and farther issues to access to TOT( No, I'm not saying it goes away totally), supply chain guarantees and security. Basically, moving the burden of military expenditure to NATO (example: less need to spend on navy)

CONS are:

1. leverage: India will lose leverage in terms of whom they do what business with- because quite simply it will lose allies like Russia. although , funny enough- French are now selling arms or about to_ to Russia and many NAto nations trade w/ russia. However, we also see India's non -aligned status and economic leverage making the US govt soften its stance i.e. Iran relationship is a great example of push from the US but not shove.

2. involvement in taking on NATO responsibilities i.e.of guaranteed involvement / commitments. Now when it came to Afghanistan I don't understand why India should have not been naturally allied because among-st all other countries, India has suffered the most due to terrorism. Shying away from international commitments such as these does not bode well in my opinion. BUT remember India just as other NATO countries (e.g. France and others - did not commit to Iraq, being NATO allies) is not exactly , by default, forced to join " US" lead wars.

So on paper, economic and security guarantees are undeniable more beneficial...but a countries citizenry and soul is not just based on paper. I think it is a part of Indian psyche to remain non aligned that cannot be overlooked .

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles