Should India have two capital cities?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by johnee, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Guys, we all know New Delhi is the capital of India. But not many of us know is that Ambedkar while taking over Hyderabad state had proposed Hyderabad as the second capital of India. This opens a debate. Should India have two capitals? If so why? If not why not? If so, which city could be the choice. Remember, the debate is not about moving the capital away from New Delhi, but using another city as the second capital. Lets start the debate.

3. notinlove

notinlove Regular Member

The question is , would the government in the second capital be autonomous or part of the govenment in delhi? and if it is under the part of the government then what is the division in power ratio like?

4. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Decentralizing the union government from Delhi will disturb the fabric of India. Over a period, NCR has become a perfect Indian region with people of all origins residing. Delhi isn't quite a 'north Indian' place, it's Indian.

Moving the capital to and fro also polarizes India over a period of time, and creates two power centers. Although it's just the one government ruling from two different places, there's always the risk of factions being created in the government. Delhi and Hyderabad will always be at a conflict. This will eventually lead to division of the country.

Delhi is our capital, the sanctity of a mighty capital must be respected, otherwise the institution of a 'national capital' loses significance. Besides I still don't get Ambedkar's reasons for proposing a second power center within a union.

5. johnee

This is from wikipedia:

6. johnee

There wont be a separate Govt. There will be only one Govt which will shift from Delhi to second Capital and back to Delhi. Just one Govt, one PM, on HM, on DM...etc. Two capitals. Closer to people. Regional balance. No scope for anyone to create north-south faultlines, in terms of security: more balanced approach.

7. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

I have a question why only two? Why not more? This is simply ridiculous

Till now I was thinking we are one country

8. tarunraju

Johnee, that's because the Hyderabad State was a sovereign country post 1947. Hyderabad City was its national capital. Naturally back then it had everything a national capital needs. However, Hyderabad today isn't any better than any other metro in terms of 'aminities'.

[​IMG]

9. notinlove

notinlove Regular Member

So a senior leader got impressed by a city and wanted to make it a second capital. by that logic we can make a lot of citties capitals, for example , mumbai , bangalore , chennai , chandigarh(special mentio because it has got a lot better infrastructure then delhi and also has a lot of free space in and around it) , should we go ahead and make all of them capitals?

10. johnee

I agree two power-centres will be created and obviously they will not agree all the time. But it will not lead to division, on the contrary it will lead to a balanced approach especially in regard to Pakistan. I feel, that in delhi circles, there is a certain nostalgia about it, and they frequently get fooled by Pakistan due to it. It will reduce, if a south-indian capital is also in place. Because south-indians have no nostalgia with regard to pakistan.

11. StealthSniper

StealthSniper Senior Member Senior Member

Absolutely not, we don't have any reason to have 2 capitals when we have New Delhi which has a cultural and historical significance to it. Also unless the worst case scenario happens and we lose New Delhi even then I think we would rebuild and be proud to resurrect our old capital back. I think having 2 capitals will definitely create confusion to the dignitaries coming to India and also to the citizens of India and it will also send mixed messages to other countries that the people of India are unsure of or unsecure of our own center of goverance. Having 2 capitals will create a HUGE confusion to everyone and eventually we will have one capital pitted against the other and then we will have a great divide and seperation of our country and the North will be against the South. And it will probably happen from the discussion of poverty, or education or something.

Right now I think that India is finally becoming a huge connected nation again and I think that any attempt to change or make a puzzle out of the country will just start a huge panic that will be even worse than if China or Pakistan attacked us at the same time. This 2 capital thing is a very serious topic and I feel disgusted even talking about it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  12. nitesh

Johnee this is too naive of you are you trying to say people of Dlehi love Pakistan or what? Didn't expected this from you

13. notinlove

notinlove Regular Member

Couldn't understand even a bit about this . the people would be the same the how would you curb nostalgia? moreover many of our ministers are south indians , doesn't that automatically curb nostalgia?

14. johnee

Nitesh, one country can have two capitals. Capital is just a place of governance. It does not denote entire country.

15. tarunraju

No sir, Delhi doesn't have a nostalgia to Pakistan. On the contrary, Nizam was contemplating joining the Pakistan dominion (which lead India to invade and annexe Hyderabad). Besides, I don't see how 'nostalgia to Pakistan' has anything to do with the need for a power centre shift. South India is the country's most economically forward region. It isn't deprived of the centre's attention, so why a power center here?

16. nitesh

By this logic why can't it have more the two capitals.

17. johnee

Yep, that does curb nostalgia. But beureuacracy is still not out of it. If they change location, they can get out of such things. The main idea is that over a period of time beureaucracy develops some pattern of thinking due to their place of stay, this pattern need to be broken by bringing in fresh ideas. So one capital in north and one is south would serve the purpose. If the delhi were in east, we could have had a capital in west.

18. johnee

We could. But it becomes extremely impractical unless we make them namesake capitals i.e. capital only in name but not in function. But if we want two capitals(not simulatneously) then two is the limit. The division of time could be every 6months or every two and half years.

19. nitesh

Well sorry I am not getting what are you trying to convey here

20. StealthSniper

StealthSniper Senior Member Senior Member

Johnee I respect you as a friend and member, but I think having 2 capitals is a mental idea. Why doesn't America have 2 capitals like one in the west and one in the east, or Russia even.

21. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

come on mate when this country have 4 CMs in a state in the name of better management and experience then why cant we have more than one national capital, we should at least have 29 such national capitals (delhi+one each for all the 28 states) so that there is complete balance in judgment wrt pakistan for every state will have a say and when we can have countless regional parties donning the natinal politics the we can certainly have at least 29 national capitals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.