Should India have a new capital?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Bangalorean, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I learned this when I started working, and towards the end of my education. Earlier in life, even I had the feeling that all these "regionalist chauvinists" were "idiots". But when I actually grew up and saw the world, I realized that it is otherwise.

It is really so sad, as a nation we are actually a caricature. How many countries have people who speak to each other in English instead of their own language? it would have been great to have our own link language, one which all Indians can call their own, and which can be used to represent India as a nation.

The NCERT books should devote some more space to drumming some sense into the skulls of these people when they are young.

And a first step to improvement would be to remove the capital from that symbol of slavery, Dilli, and change it to some other place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
    afako, Raj30, SPIEZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Re: Tamil Nadu - controversy over cartoon on anti-Hindi agitation in NCERT

That actually makes sense.

Delhi as a city made capital by outsiders should not be the capital and instead some other city be made the capital...I would rather have Pataliputra, capital of Magadhan empire and Gupta empire or Ujjain as the capital...

afako likes this.
  4. Bangalorean

This is a direct result of the economic growth and resultant massive migration that has been observed into places like Bangalore. More and more white-collar and educated professionals have gone through the same learning process that I have - the racism, superiority complex, inflated sense of self-importance that we have seen has changed things in the last 10 years or so.

5. Bangalorean

I would prefer South-central India - something like North Karnataka/AP or South Vidarbha (Maha) regions. Telangana/North KA side. Take a small unknown city, build its suburbs, recreate a Chandigarh or Bhilai or Jamshedpur there - these days we have no dearth of Indian town planners and architects, unlike the 1950s and 60s. I would like a city that no one can call their own, to begin with. It is vital that the scum who feel that "X people rule Y people" should be disabused of that notion.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  6. KS

Well I said I was surprised [or not so] in a rhetorical manner.. I know the reason, the same as you posted...I just wanted the others - the Hindi is Indian,Indian is Hindi gang to realize it..:D

7. Bangalorean

The huge problem with Dilli atm is, the linguistic/cultural mix is hugely homogeneous, with minor exceptions. What I am suggesting will improve the linguistic and cultural distribution in the capital city, with a more heterogeneous mix, more representative of India. It cannot be ideal, nothing can be - but it will be a massive improvement.

And having a completely artificially created, inorganic and built-from-the-ground-up capital for this great country, will prevent anyone from considering the capital (and by extension, the country) as "belonging" exclusively to them.

8. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Looks like new Muhammed bin Tuglaqas are in the making.

Shifting the capital is a wasteful use of resources!! I would prefer a to develop India rather than engage in shifting capitals. Although, DC is the capital but NY and LA are much more famous. The rise of new economic capitals show the shift even in Indian context.

I would be happy if GIFT can change the way we develop new cities: http://giftgujarat.in/

I would also like to see a local Vegas emerge in Thar.

Sabir, Patriot, Rage and 2 others like this.
  9. Bangalorean

Wasteful? I think not. How is creating of a new city not related to development of India? First, look at it from the purely economic point of view. What is being "Wasted" here? Even in general, I would recommend the building of new "smart cities" to house India's population. Are you against planned cities? Are you against GIFT city, against Lavasa, against planned new Bangalore? Were you against Bhilai and Chandigarh? Yes, LA and NY are more famous than DC. Just like Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore will be more famous than the new planned capital city.

Let us accept that creation of a new planned city is an economic driver, not a waste of resources. Think of it from that POV.

And then, the cultural and other reasons I enumerated are critically important for the country. Please look at history. Culture, language - these are very emotive and earth-shaking things. It breaks nations, causes genocides, makes history. Hell, just go through DFI archives.

The entire nation shares a civilizational heritage. After a thousand years, we are united under that shared civilizational heritage as a political unit, and are becoming a force to reckon with. The Indian civilization is one of the lynchpins of the world, among the six primary civilizations. Stupid racism and false superiority complexes cannot be allowed to imperil this.

10. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I did not say building new cities is useless. I meant that making a new parliament, new RPB, new bunglows for the politicians, is wasteful because it already exists in Delhi. And there would be many other things that would need to moved along with it and that is not the best use of resources. GIFT would be cool because it is developed as a new generation city.

Building a new capital cannot erase racism but can only heat it up. We should be more respectful for each other's culture and encourage population migration from one state to the other. Teach 3 Indian languages to kids in school and we would be better.

11. Bangalorean

Nothing that exists in Delhi at the moment will go waste. Every single thing will be reused for one thing or the other. Each time we have carved a new state, we needed to build all this new stuff. I would never advocate a Tughlaq-ish overnight move into a new capital. Step by step, 20 year plan. At a stage somewhere in the middle, maybe have a "summer capital". Also, the virtues of "backup and redundancy", as we say in IT parlance, cannot be underestimated. You can even have the RPB in Dilli and PMO in new capital. Amry HQ in one place, railway HQ in another. There are several possible models. For such a massive country, distributed power centers is not such a bad idea.

Why do you think that it will heat up racism though? No one should be able to lay claim to a new artificially-created city, no single homogeneous segment of population should be able to claim it as their own.

12. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Bangalore and Mumbai can only claim that. We cannot make mumbai the capital. Bangalore can be made with major upgrades. Or we can make a city outside of Bangalore. Pleasant climate, cosmopolitan culture, good connectivity, ports are also close by. People of south India are gracious, warm and down to earth.

13. Bangalorean

The problem with going too far South is, the exact problem that I am referring to now, will happen in reverse! That's why I think the tri-border of KA-MH-AP will be ideal. Those barren parched lands where land acquisition will be million times easier and cheaper than the fertile plains of the South or West or East.

14. KS

No capital in TN please...:D

Bringing the capital brings with it a whole host of problems and for a developed state, that means the cons outweigh the pros.

Mad Indian likes this.
  15. Yusuf

The capital of the country should have good climate :D

No moving anywhere will create a problem. You move to Bangalore or Bellary, it's south. I mean for Dilliwalas anything with of Vindhyas is a Madarasi.

16. Bangalorean

And anyway, a degree of "distribution" is critically essential, irrespective of this discussion. When in doubt, just think of Supreme court.

Distribution, redundancy and backup is very necessary in any case.

17. Yusuf

TN cannot host the capital. Not cosmopolitan enough.

18. Yusuf

I think this topic is good for a separate thread. Will split it when I reach home or if LB sees this, please split to another thread with "Should India have a new capital"

19. Bangalorean

The climate will be better than in Delhi for sure. :) Less harsh summers and milder winters. If you go further South, you still have a humid and hot climate everywhere. KA, TN, AP, MH and KL etc. don't even have a winter to speak of! In your mind's eye, I suspect you are thinking of Bangalore. :D Not happening, and its not fair either. It is of paramount importance, I want to state that I am not trying to "snatch the capital from there and 'give it' to other people". That impression should never come. I want a capital which no one can claim history to, which no one can call their own.

20. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

The New Delhi which we see as Delhi now was created only by the British and is pretty much a new city. If there are people who now lay claims to it, any other city will have the same pitfalls. I saw one other ugly fight over Chandigarh in this forum.

These all are useless arguments and divert attention from real issues. We can develop respect for diversity without thinking about where to locate a capital. But then there would be no place for people like Raj Thackerays.

This is my last post on this issue as I think changing a capital does not add any value to political, economic or strategic decision making, which constitute the main task of govt.

And why I think it creates racism is because it heats up unnecessary issues.

On a side note, look at this map. It is high time we revise our state making policies again:
    [​IMG]

21. KS

I'm saying it should not become cosmopolitan "enough". Have seen the rut in the name of cosmopolitanism in Mumbai and heard about it in B'lore..

We are fine the way we are...

Raj30 likes this.