Should India be renamed after Bharat?

busesaway

The English language name should be "Hodu" as that's what's used in the Bible for India. The word "[H]India" is derived from Persian colonizers who used it to refer to the land over the River Indus, the culture was [H]induism, and the race were [H]indians.

I'm not sure what the Indian word should be. I think that maybe Bharata might be the best word. But I still don't understand how there isn't a single word in Indian culture to describe the homelands on Indians prior to colonialism. Did we just call it "homelands" or something?

The word for "Germany" in German is "Deutschland" which means "People's Land". Maybe India should to the same by calling itself "Maharaj" or "People's Continent" or "People's Empire" in the various local languages.

I think India should be transformed into a modern-day empire with an elected emperor and a 'chamber of lords' who represent the Hindu community. It should reinstate the pre-colonial rulers as ceremonial monarchies and allow states to be represented at the UN by themselves.

The imperial government would have control over defense and security, some economic affairs, foriegn policy, trade, civil rights and human rights, religion, and certain social issues like environment and regulations. It should attain a seat at the UN and SCO, but forego its seat at the Commonwealth in favor of states representation.

sthf

Country flag
NO

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
What is the geographic extent of the term Bharat (according to scriptures).

The geographic extent of "Aryavarta" is the tract between Himalayas and Vindyanchal range present day central India (MP)

dhananjay1

What is the geographic extent of the term Bharat (according to scriptures).
Land north of the ocean, south of the Himalayas according to various Puranas.

उत्तरं यत्समुद्रस्य हिमाद्रेश्चैव दक्षिणम्। वर्षं तद्भारतं नाम भारती यत्र सन्ततिः॥

This is from Vishnu Purana. 2nd amsha, 3rd adhyaya, 1st shloka

lcafanboy

Country flag
India is already named Bharat- officially.

Have a look at your passports it says भारत गणराज्य
My greivience is India and Indian words should be completely stopped. These should not be mentioned on currency passports or any govt documents and we should not be addressed by any foreign country or people as Indians. Bharat & Bharatiya that's it.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
India is already named Bharat- officially.

Have a look at your passports it says भारत गणराज्य
Name is not an issue.
Passports also have "REPUBLIC OF INDIA"

This is the uniqueness of India that we have various names in various languages.
Hindi: Bharat
English: INDIA
Mix: Hindustan

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Neither Bharat nor India, we have lost substantial chunk of land in partitions into different countries or occupied by others.

Secondly, our demography has become a far cry from what we used to be, our establishment and legal systems criteria too has been come far ahead on other different path.

So, it must adopted as a name based on our legal system or Principal of Constitution regardless of our past names.

mayfair

Many countries around the world have different names in local languages and the name by which they are known internationally

Japan for instance is not called Japan in Japanese It's called 日本国 (Nippon-Koku or Nihon-Koku)

Likewise for China, Korea, Taiwan etc.

HindaviSwarajya

Country flag
This is map of bharatvarsh during ramanayan

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/vibh...of-india-during-ramayana-and-mahabharata/amp/

note that shree Ram did ashwamegh yagya meaning he had most kingdoms under him. I believe we ruled whole world but obviously there will not be any documentary or historical evidence as it was in pre historic times. From then till chandragupta maurya Or even much latet in gupta empire we had afghanistan as part of our country.

raja696

This issue of Bharat or India name came in to discussion during formulation of constitution.

Atticle 1A i guess mentions Bharat as main name and India popularly known name during british raj. So instead of scraping they left India as it is due to outside world popularity to this name.

But Bharat is officially true name.

It only depends if we can get use to calling Bharat , instead of India named by Britishers.

So I prefer calling Bharat, but have to put in to action while typing or google search etc.

Prashant Sharma

Between_the_lines
Country flag
This was the debate in constituent assembly too. Some wanted India others 'Bharat'.

In the end, a middle ground was decided & thus in constitution our country was called as "India that is Bharat"

Bharat Ek Khoj

Frankly I dont trust any gurus who goes to international forum and speak behalf of us. And if I remember correctly this guy said yog(a) is not hindu.

When I joined this forum, I said I like to call our country Bharat, not india. But then I myself started using the word indian. No matter how patriot gov you get, it will always be slave of English.

I think we should go for Jambudwip.

Bharat Ek Khoj

Land north of the ocean, south of the Himalayas according to various Puranas.

उत्तरं यत्समुद्रस्य हिमाद्रेश्चैव दक्षिणम्। वर्षं तद्भारतं नाम भारती यत्र सन्ततिः॥

This is from Vishnu Purana. 2nd amsha, 3rd adhyaya, 1st shloka
I remember the show Chandragupt Maurya on NDTV, where Chanakya used to say 'Jai Maa Bharti'. The show was very popular, but once they showed how Chanakya-Chandragupt combo kicked Alexander's ***, they just shut down the channel, even though they were profiting. While they still run the news channel with huge loss.

AnantS

Country flag
why not Hindustan ? it was unofficial word for North of South Asia in Islamic Timeline.
We might give it fleeting second look if Islamic Republic Pakistan changes its names to Islamic Paikhana-stan. Paikhana-satan rhymes better, and would also not only describe your nation better but would also give your nation a sense of purpose and usefulness - a great progress from where it stands now.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles