Should india Ban Chinese Goods Import or at least put heavy anti dumping duties on chinese Goods.

AnantS

Country flag
Chinese have sanctions that they cant purchase defence products
Those sanctions have more to do wrt Tienanmen than WTO. Even with those sanction China got what it wanted, by throwing more dollars to Ameriki business houses and senators. Wrt WTO, the industries of the world simply love overworking dirt cheap unionless workers in china which help them rake more moolah.

Here in India, it does not matter how many new GST like disruptions are introduced, opening of other economic sectors to FI or creation of SEZ takes place, nothing will drive manufacturing until Labor Laws are loosened enough to match China.

You want to know how Cheap Labor is in China? Take this eg., Chinese Road company won an open Tender(on lowest bid basis) to construct some length of Road in Foothills of Himachal Pradesh(funded by World Bank I think) few years back beating cheap Indian companies also. Now here comes the beauty, to meet the low cost bid, companies insisted on bringing Chinese people for manual labor. ( Did you notice so called "Rich" China with Higher standard of living have lesser unskilled labor cost than "poor" India?). To cut short, Those labor came & they dug the old roads and suddenly they went back because suddenly Indian Immigration found that the workers were on Tourist Visa! Old Roads which were dug out remained like that for I guess 2-3 years before the Visa issue was resolved and the Chinese labor again came and completed the task. Bridges needed to connect those roads were constructed by the state govt themselves.

To give the due: The roads that were constructed by Chinese contracting company, , I liked one aspect, that proper reflectors, signage and lit markers were placed on the whole length of road , things which our desi contractors simply skip upon during building of roads. Desi contractors generally use use ample reflectors and signage only near their toll collection gates.

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag
Banning goods without having a reasonable domestic alternative ( +10% price range) and manufacturing friendly ecosystem is not prudent.
You missed the point, I gave examples where infra was already in place in India, But Indian manufacturers simply chose to source products from China than use or upgrade their own facilities! Bhaiyya Sabse Bada Rupaiyya.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles